• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got some parts in, not enough to finish up, but enough to get this old gun shooting. A Colt 1878 DA in 32-20, an unpopular caliber for this gun, less than 1K were made during the total run of this revolver type. The front sight has been filed down, probably the only way to get a close match up with this cartridge. It's taken some external beating and has some home made grips but is still pretty solid for 1894.

The 32-20 has had a long run, chambered in a lot of guns from the earlier part of the 20th century. It can be very versatile when hand loaded.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 1878 works by using the hand as the locking mechanism for the cylinder. The cylinders actually outlasted the gun model and extras were used on SAA revolvers making the rare and very collectable "long flute" SAA.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What......:dunno:

The hand engages two teeth on the cylinder, pushing the first tooth to rotate the cylinder and then binding the following tooth to hold the cylinder in position. When the hammer completes it's fall and discharges the cartridge the hand retreats and drops down for another cycle.

To deal with back spin there is a ratcheting block that engages the teeth on the loading gate. You can watch the gate move slightly back and forth as you fire the gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The hand engages two teeth on the cylinder, pushing the first tooth to rotate the cylinder and then binding the following tooth to hold the cylinder in position. When the hammer completes it's fall and discharges the cartridge the hand retreats and drops down for another cycle.

To deal with back spin there is a ratcheting block that engages the teeth on the loading gate. You can watch the gate move slightly back and forth as you fire the gun.

Wow.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Part of the trick to repairing these guns is being patient about fitting the parts. There's a place that makes good aftermarket hands, but you have to fit them to your cylinder as they are all shipped slightly oversize. I've never seen a worn cylinder ratchet on these things, it's always the hand that wears.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Part of the trick to repairing these guns is being patient about fitting the parts. There's a place that makes good aftermarket hands, but you have to fit them to your cylinder as they are all shipped slightly oversize. I've never seen a worn cylinder ratchet on these things, it's always the hand that wears.

That sounds like some tedious fitment. Very rewarding.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here's a picture of the guts fitted back together on one of these guns I rebuilt a while back.

Top Bottom