• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’m considering a shoulder holster for certain times when I’m wearing a suit for work. I had a cheap one years ago but would like something of better quality if I decide to go this route.

Anyone wear one with regularity who could offer some advice on what works or doesn’t? Odds are I’ll carry a Glock 43 or 48 if that makes a difference.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have a Miami classic for my S&W 3913 I use from late fall to early spring. Its comfortable for me and doesn't print too bad

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes.

Ted Blocker Lifeline and Andrews Monarch.

Many solid options out there now. Get a good one that does not transfer dye to your white dress shirts.

I know considering what you did for many years, I don't need to say this, but I feel better if I do, in training with a shoulder rig it is imperative that you get that off side elbow up! Don't let it dangle.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What is making you think about a shoulder holster vs a strong side holster?

It’s primarily a clothing issue for me. I prefer my Crossbreed IWB or Henry Holsters AIWB but neither work particularly well when I’m wearing a suit. If I tighten my belt enough to hold either securely or bunches up my shirt and pants and doesn’t look good. Last week I had to do some running while in my suit with the Crossbreed and because I didn’t have it locked down tight it was moving around quite a bit more than I was comfortable with.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What is making you think about a shoulder holster vs a strong side holster?

This is always my thinking when it comes to shoulder holsters. I can't speak for their comfort or ease of use etc since I have never used one. Personally I can't wrap my head around the idea of using one. All of them I've seen used have the muzzle sweeping someone constantly. There is a detective that comes in the shop and wears one from time to time. It drives me nuts when he turns and sweeps the muzzle right in front of my face. It doesn't help the holster clearly flops around when he walks and just doesn't look very secure. May e one that positions the gun so it would be in a cross draw position would be better.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It’s primarily a clothing issue for me. I prefer my Crossbreed IWB or Henry Holsters AIWB but neither work particularly well when I’m wearing a suit. If I tighten my belt enough to hold either securely or bunches up my shirt and pants and doesn’t look good. Last week I had to do some running while in my suit with the Crossbreed and because I didn’t have it locked down tight it was moving around quite a bit more than I was comfortable with.

Would an OWB holster work better as far as staying in place? I have a friend that is a pastor who has a crossbreed style holster set up with some kind of velcro that attaches to the inside of the belt to help hold it in place to keep a cleaner look when wearing a suit.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I still have my old DeSantis rig for the Model 19 2.5". I would imagine they make something like it for Glocks now. It's comfortable and I liked the easy off and on aspect to it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Would an OWB holster work better as far as staying in place? I have a friend that is a pastor who has a crossbreed style holster set up with some kind of velcro that attaches to the inside of the belt to help hold it in place to keep a cleaner look when wearing a suit.

Not without locking the belt down so tight it screws up the appearance of my shirt and pants.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have a DeSantis New York Undercover for my PPS. It is comfortable and with a suit on it really doesn't print at all.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have had and currently have a Miami Classic. They are perfect for what your looking for. I first used them when working plain clothes security at formal events.
    Mine now is primary used for when I lounge about the house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

A shoulder holster is going to flop around even more. Even with a tie down it's not going to be as stable and as consistent as a belt holster. I currently own 3, the most expensive being $600 and it's by far the most stable (but the maker doesn't mold for Glocks) and even it moves.

For suit carry, I still rely on my Red Nichols belts. The curved shape supports the weight of equipment without the need to cinch the belt as tight as traditional straight belts. I did a review several years back here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...418587-review-1-year-red-nichols-leather.html

I now own four of those belts in various colors and finishes, including the original one. They have all held up great.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm thinking phylodog could grow back that sweet mullet he had as a youth too...

vlcsnap-2016-04-23-02h22m03s91.jpg.521fd620616d31bd98e92e8e2186bcf7.thumb.jpg.df5032d7ea9b8d9d882186974048b9a2.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For suit carry, I still rely on my Red Nichols belts. The curved shape supports the weight of equipment without the need to cinch the belt as tight as traditional straight belts. I did a review several years back here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...418587-review-1-year-red-nichols-leather.html

That belt looks like a great option. I've been wearing a Kramer horsehide belt for more than 20 years and I love it but it's not suitable (pun intended) for this particular purpose. I'm going to explore a shoulder holster and see how it works, I may try to buy one of those Red Nichols belts either way.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I wore a suit part time for the last six years on dignitary protection. I wore an old school Raven Phantom and a G19 strong side, with a kydex single mag pouch with a a 22-rounder weak side, in addition to my radio. I used a 5.11 1.75" leather belt with a plastic stiffener. Being a little bit of a squishy guy, I did have to crank it down one extra notch to support the weight of the radio (not the gun, as the holster was by far the most comfortable I've ever worn. I swapped out the plastic belt loops for homemade leather). I also wore my Hidden Tailor, the white, rubber knobby under belt that helped keep my pants level and my shirt tucked in, but I've also worn one in uniform for the last 20+ years. If I had stayed in the unit, I would have invested in newer, more durable belt.

When it comes to suits and guns, they're a hard mix. Normally when we wear an suit, it's tailored a little fancier and doesn't have as much freedom and range-of-motion that we really need. For anyone wearing a suit specifically for gunslinging, numerous changes are usually made:

- Waist/crotch relieved a little for movement and allowance of IWB holsters
    - Jacket cut a hair bigger around the torso to allow room for everything and to "try" to eliminate printing
    - A twill or nylon patch sewn into the jacket to protect the lining from all the tools
    - Fishing weights (or similar) added to the pockets or front corners of the jacket to help keep the jacket closed (I prefer the pockets myself, I like the way it hangs better)

Although I can't stand them, A LOT of guys wear suspenders. Nearly all of the Secret Service folks I worked with wore them.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Normally when we wear an suit, it's tailored a little fancier and doesn't have as much freedom and range-of-motion that we really need. For anyone wearing a suit specifically for gunslinging, numerous changes are usually made:

Blame the modern cut and most low end suits. The modern "everything skinny"/ continental Europe/ Thom Browne influence along with short cuts that make budget suits budget result in that stiffness and lack of range of motion. Jackets darted to the point you look like a woman, trousers so tight you can't step up on the curb, small arm openings/'soft shoulders' so you can't lift your arms without disturbing the whole jacket, etc. They suck and I hate them.

If you can source an upper end traditional suit you'll find you can move in them very well and other than the standard tailoring to fit they are good to go for both carrying a gun and actually moving. Hickey Freeman "A series" is a good example with a wider chest, bigger arm holes, and a slightly longer jacket. Samuelsohn and Brooks Brothers also make traditional lines (as well as "modern" lines).

Yes, these suits are usually at or near four figures when new, often in the $2k+ range depending on the wool. The good news is they depreciate faster than sports cars. If you are patient and don't need this years latest, you can often find them cheaper than a new Men's Wearhouse glued together PeeWee Herman tailored suit.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    /\ True story BBI. I knew you’d have experience with it as well, although no one can rock the hat quite like you!

I always wanted to get a higher-end suit, even upwards of the hundreds (gasp!) of dollars range, but there was no way on my salary!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In cooler weather yes. I have a couple of them and my favorite is the custom piece made to fit me at one of the 1500's we had the Ingo table at. Can not remember the mans name but he fit me up pretty well.

Top Bottom