• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A friend at work has a Smith and Wesson 44mag 6" nickel. Where the model should be, under the assembly number, is stamped 0. He is offering to sell it to me and wants me to tell him how much it is worth, but I'm stumped. He has shown me a picture of the model number, and I had to look again to make sure it was in the right place, which is was. I have not seen the revolver.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would like to get a hold of it and get the serial number under the grips. Right now I got nothing. Except the assembly number. 75822

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Well, I found this on wiki.

S&W's production of a large N-frame revolver in .44 Magnum began in 1955; the Model 29 designation was applied in 1957.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    A friend at work has a Smith and Wesson 44mag 6" nickel. Where the model should be, under the assembly number, is stamped 0. He is offering to sell it to me and wants me to tell him how much it is worth, but I'm stumped. He has shown me a picture of the model number, and I had to look again to make sure it was in the right place, which is was. I have not seen the revolver.

Pinned and recessed barrel? Early 629's sell quite well. Completed Sales on GB should give you a starting point.

Is the 0 under the 629 stamping?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Pinned and recessed barrel? Early 629's sell quite well. Completed Sales on GB should give you a starting point.

Is the 0 under the 629 stamping?

There's no 629 stamping. Just the assembly number and 0 under it.

I'm thinking it's a pre model, first 2 years. He says 6" barrel, but probably didn't measure to the end. Don't know if it's pinned and recessed but I doubt it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ok I'm pretty confident it's a pre model. That should give me some kind of value. I don't think it's rare air, just makes it more expensive.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wiki is confusing. I took it to read the pre models weren't pinned and recessed, but it looks like they are, until 29-3. I found several examples with one or two numbers where the model number is now, 7, 3, 7 4, one with nothing. It appears the nickel is very rare in the pre model. The correct box would have been a light blue pebbled, with tools. Original dealer price for blue would be about $82.

No paperwork. No original box. Rare nickel pre model, so I'm interested.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Presentation box. I have some but didn't know it was the original box. Now that I think about it, the paperwork is in the boxes, so he may have paperwork.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Presentation box. I have some but didn't know it was the original box. Now that I think about it, the paperwork is in the boxes, so he may have paperwork.

Factory Nickel 5 screw pre-29 will have a "N" stamped on the side of grip frame and the rear cylinder face. Serial # should be in the range of S130000 to S167500 but could be as high as S174599. Four screw pre-29s range from S167500 to S184000. Not worth a five screw but still a high dollar revolver. Heck a good set of coke bottle grips can bring $500.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The early "pre 29's" had 6 grove back strap and fore strap which later switched to the standard 10 grove.

The early boxes were navy blue, almost black, presentation case.

per Standard Catalog of S&W

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Some have been found with non cataloged unusual barrel lengths, which bring a premium.
    Knew a guy that had a very old 5" model 29, diamond grips, it was spectacular. If my memory serves me correctly the guns older than 57 were "S" frame guns.
    I don't think you are going to find any Ser numbers under the grips. I believe the only number will be stamped on the frame when you open the cylinder.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

Top Bottom