• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Going to have a lot of time on my hands here from now through the holidays and I've been weighing to start a stipple job myself or just have it done. The gun is a Gen 4 Glock 19 has had Slide work done by AllenM. The pattern I am wanting is the "basketweave" and a single undercut . I've sen some home attempts that just look terrible others that look amazing. Some shops charge close to $250 or more and to me the work doesn't reflect that price.

Any suggestions or helpful hints. Would love pics of setups used if any of you have done it yourself.

Thanks! Murcia

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you're gonna do it yourself, I suggest many hours of practicing on "other" things. Like PMAGS, for instance.

TF, great idea! I want to stipple the area where my support thumb goes on my M&P. I currently have skateboard tape there, but it would be nice to have it permanent. I want to match the factory stippling though that is on the grip.

Practicing on a Pmag might get me there.

Do people use soldering irons?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    AFAIK, soldering irons with different tips are what people do for stippling.

Make sure you're well ventilated / wear a respirator. Can't imagine that vaporized hydrocarbons are good for yer innards.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    AFAIK, soldering irons with different tips are what people do for stippling.

Make sure you're well ventilated / wear a respirator. Can't imagine that vaporized hydrocarbons are good for yer innards.

I'm dead anyway if that is a factor. I work in plastic injection molding.:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The only difference between you doing a stipple job as a first timer DIY project and having a pro doing the stipple job is that the pro has already gone through their learning curve and make all their rookie mistakes on their own and other peoples guns whenever they first started. You're going to make rookie mistakes on a first time DIY stipple job and that's fine depending on what gun you're doing all this too. If it's some taurus beater gun that you got a great deal on that's one thing, if it's a gun that you've already had professional work done to it on then why not just have another pro take it to the next step.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The only difference between you doing a stipple job as a first timer DIY project and having a pro doing the stipple job is that the pro has already gone through their learning curve and make all their rookie mistakes on their own and other peoples guns whenever they first started. You're going to make rookie mistakes on a first time DIY stipple job and that's fine depending on what gun you're doing all this too. If it's some taurus beater gun that you got a great deal on that's one thing, if it's a gun that you've already had professional work done to it on then why not just have another pro take it to the next step.

^^^^Exactly what he said. Sound advice. Having learned the hard way myself, its worth a few bucks to forego the headaches.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Before I paid a "pro" to do it, I'd have to see their work. There are plenty of pro's out there that can't do the work as well as I can. I don't mean to appear arogant, but I have a much greater vested interest in my stuff, whether my vehicles, my home or my firearms. I am super particular and I would hate to pay someone to do something and have it turn out subpar.

After all, "pro" only means one is "paid".

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    three hints i can give you
    1 practice
    2 practice
    3 practice, and when you think you're ready practice more!

there was a thread on here about someone who picked up a used glock from a gun shop for a awesome price because some kitchen table gunsmith tried to stipple his glock, he messed it up so bad he couldnt even insert a mag in it!

messing up a glock frame isn't like messing up a p320 frame!, if you mess up a p320 frame, just buy another one (the white ones are on sale at sig for 30 bucks), if you mess up a glock, you're hosed! you have to buy a new gun or pick up something off of gunbroker, pay shipping and a transfer fee, or buy a diy 80% frame and start all over again! (and i personally wouldnt carry a home made framed gun, so it'd be a range toy)

but if it were me, i'd practice my butt off before i tried to home stipple a serial numbered part!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not a fan. Put the iron to the frame and you kill your resale value.

Talon grip tape for me. I can grip the gun solidly and my resale value is at least the same as stock, if not added value by the desired aftermarket accessory.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Talon grip tape for me. I can grip the gun solidly and my resale value is at least the same as stock, if not added value by the desired aftermarket accessory.

I'm not either of doing grips and a lot of surface area. But in the case of my M&P 2.0, the factory stippling is fine. I just want a little "patch" up where my left thumb rests. I plan on keeping it and I don't think a 3/8" area will hurt the value that much.

I have seen far too many pistols that in my opinion were ruined by stippling. Plus they look ugly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not either of doing grips and a lot of surface area. But in the case of my M&P 2.0, the factory stippling is fine. I just want a little "patch" up where my left thumb rests. I plan on keeping it and I don't think a 3/8" area will hurt the value that much.

I have seen far too many pistols that in my opinion were ruined by stippling. Plus they look ugly.

I'm not knocking anyone that wants to do it. Just saying that even though we all intend to keep all of our guns forever, the latest innovations are often desirable. Resale should be a consideration in whether you decide to permanently alter your gun and thus reduce it's value considerably.

Most folks shopping in the secondary market would be very leery of even "professionally stippled" guns unless they are being practically given away. Just sayin'.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not knocking anyone that wants to do it. Just saying that even though we all intend to keep all of our guns forever, the latest innovations are often desirable. Resale should be a consideration in whether you decide to permanently alter your gun and thus reduce it's value considerably.

Most folks shopping in the secondary market would be very leery of even "professionally stippled" guns unless they are being practically given away. Just sayin'.

Agreed. I know I won't buy a gun that has been stippled.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I get that pro only means having been paid. There's a lot of wiggle room in that description and it all depends on who you're talking about and what you want at the end of it. For example, I know a young man who does a heck of a job stippling pistols, but I have a Rem 700 308 in a magpul hunter stock that gets a little slick when it's wet so I asked him to "stipple" the forend and a couple other spots where I wanted some additional grippyness to the rifle. I didn't want a cleaned up pretty internet picture thread type of job, but wanted something that was 100% functional and I couldn't have been happier with what I got and still have. I don't remember how much time he had in it, but I know it was quite a bit more than a standard glock or whatever. I had no desire to spend that kind of time myself doing it and I'm glad he was happy to do it. I get the appeal in wanting some stippling done and done well. If you'd rather do it yourself then I'd say go for it especially if you're going to take your time and do it right.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Professional job, you may be getting 20yrs of relevant experience or you may be paying for a first attempt. Know your professional. Same goes with doctors as gunsmiths.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I stippled my Glock 17 and am very happy with it. It took a lot of time to do and I spent a long time modifying and stippling AR grips before pulling the trigger.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana

I hear what you're saying but I respectfully disagree. A clean, attractive stippling job increases resale value as well. I see folks get $650, $700 out of a custom Glock 19 all the time. The ones with cut slides and 3rd-party triggers command $800 or more. I traded my self-stippled G17 for a $850 Chiappa Rhino a few weeks ago. Facebook groups like Glock Elite has nothing but cool stippled Glocks and they don't go cheap.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve seen some shops that use lasers to engrave texture on grips. I feel that’s a better option for resale, and can be more consistent than someone with a wood burner and a steady hand. There are companies offering something that looks similar to hand stippling.

Something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/pSW4wuyXEaapGnyP8

That looks good. I'd pay someone to do that on my little patch for my thumb.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Get a P320 grip module and practice on it. It’s a bit more gun like than a PMAG and you’ll be practicing around curves.

I’d recommend to make a border or outline first, then stipple inside of it.

I use a fan to blow the smoke away from my face and then zone out while stippling. It’s kind of like adult coloring books, but more my speed.

I agree with those who said, first stipple jobs look like you gave your gun cancer. Keep practicing and you’ll get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom