Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

DIY STIPPLING VS PROFESSIONAL

Going to have a lot of time on my hands here from now through the holidays and I've been weighing to start a stipple job myself or just have it done. The gun is a Gen 4 Glock 19 has had Slide work done by AllenM. The pattern I am wanting is the "basketweave" and a single undercut . I've sen some home attempts that just look terrible others that look amazing. Some shops charge close to $250 or more and to me the work doesn't reflect that price.

Any suggestions or helpful hints. Would love pics of setups used if any of you have done it yourself.

Thanks! Murcia

User Info Menu

If you're gonna do it yourself, I suggest many hours of practicing on "other" things. Like PMAGS, for instance.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    If you're gonna do it yourself, I suggest many hours of practicing on "other" things. Like PMAGS, for instance.
    TF, great idea! I want to stipple the area where my support thumb goes on my M&P. I currently have skateboard tape there, but it would be nice to have it permanent. I want to match the factory stippling though that is on the grip.

Practicing on a Pmag might get me there.

Do people use soldering irons?
    Outlier

User Info Menu

AFAIK, soldering irons with different tips are what people do for stippling.

Make sure you're well ventilated / wear a respirator. Can't imagine that vaporized hydrocarbons are good for yer innards.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    AFAIK, soldering irons with different tips are what people do for stippling.

Make sure you're well ventilated / wear a respirator. Can't imagine that vaporized hydrocarbons are good for yer innards.
    I'm dead anyway if that is a factor. I work in plastic injection molding.
    Outlier

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

The only difference between you doing a stipple job as a first timer DIY project and having a pro doing the stipple job is that the pro has already gone through their learning curve and make all their rookie mistakes on their own and other peoples guns whenever they first started. You're going to make rookie mistakes on a first time DIY stipple job and that's fine depending on what gun you're doing all this too. If it's some taurus beater gun that you got a great deal on that's one thing, if it's a gun that you've already had professional work done to it on then why not just have another pro take it to the next step.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    The only difference between you doing a stipple job as a first timer DIY project and having a pro doing the stipple job is that the pro has already gone through their learning curve and make all their rookie mistakes on their own and other peoples guns whenever they first started. You're going to make rookie mistakes on a first time DIY stipple job and that's fine depending on what gun you're doing all this too. If it's some taurus beater gun that you got a great deal on that's one thing, if it's a gun that you've already had professional work done to it on then why not just have another pro take it to the next step.
    ^^^^Exactly what he said. Sound advice. Having learned the hard way myself, its worth a few bucks to forego the headaches.

User Info Menu

Before I paid a "pro" to do it, I'd have to see their work. There are plenty of pro's out there that can't do the work as well as I can. I don't mean to appear arogant, but I have a much greater vested interest in my stuff, whether my vehicles, my home or my firearms. I am super particular and I would hate to pay someone to do something and have it turn out subpar.

After all, "pro" only means one is "paid".
    Outlier

User Info Menu

three hints i can give you
    1 practice
    2 practice
    3 practice, and when you think you're ready practice more!

there was a thread on here about someone who picked up a used glock from a gun shop for a awesome price because some kitchen table gunsmith tried to stipple his glock, he messed it up so bad he couldnt even insert a mag in it!

messing up a glock frame isn't like messing up a p320 frame!, if you mess up a p320 frame, just buy another one (the white ones are on sale at sig for 30 bucks), if you mess up a glock, you're hosed! you have to buy a new gun or pick up something off of gunbroker, pay shipping and a transfer fee, or buy a diy 80% frame and start all over again! (and i personally wouldnt carry a home made framed gun, so it'd be a range toy)

but if it were me, i'd practice my butt off before i tried to home stipple a serial numbered part!
    Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs

Lone Ranger

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan. Put the iron to the frame and you kill your resale value.

Talon grip tape for me. I can grip the gun solidly and my resale value is at least the same as stock, if not added value by the desired aftermarket accessory.

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast