• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Picked up a 220 Legion today in a trade along with a Sig 22 conversion for the 220. Previous to this the only Sig I had owned were 1911’s...... I trad d into this not being sure if I would like it. Have always been partial to 1911’s but can say after half a dozen mags I LOVE IT!!!! My question is my normal 45 load is a 185gr hp over 6.2gr of HP38 in federal brass. Shoots like a laser in all of my 1911’s. I do spring them with a 24lb Wolff spring kit and full length guide rod and a buffer. I’m not very familiar with the 220 Legion platform ...... would a 22-24lb spring work on this or is there something better? Buffers? Thanks for your help

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Sigs are notoriously unreliable and inaccurate. Particularly in the "Legion" configuration.

You could try different springs for years, but never really get to a good solution.

My recommendation is to put it up for sale immediately (with the .22 conversion) at a suitably discounted price that reflects the poor quality and long term satisfaction that the new owner will have to endure.

Give me a little "heads up" so I can be in Anderson when you post it up. Cause I'm a nice guy that way.

Seriously..
    Leave it as it came to you. It is as fine a factory firearm that you will own. And I'm doubtful mods will improve it much.
    Congrats on your acquisition.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Oh man you got screwed! The legion is a huge lemon! Add sugar and water to it and you’d have lemonade!

but to help out a fellow ingoer, i’d Be glad to take it off your hands, you know so you don’t have to mess with it!

ok my real opinion, don’t futz with it! IMHO sig has made the legion to run and run hard! Congratulations and welcome to “the legion” don’t forget to call sig and register it in your name, if the previous owner didn’t you’ll get the case and challenge coin, and if he did you’ll still get the warranty in your name, they won’t cover the finish, but you still should get the other benefits of the warranty, Plus you’ll get to buy all the legion merch! Cause why the hell shoudnt everyone else know you own a “legion!”

i own 2 myself a 226 and a p320

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Well..... I figured I was getting the short end of the stick LOL!!!! I’m impressed just wish I would of done it sooner. The only reason I’m considering springing it is so the slide and frame aren’t battered so hard. It shot nice groups ...... just somewhat warm ammo I use. Didn’t know I could get the warranty in my name.... good to know. I already have the special case and challenge coin for it. That 22 conversion was just icing on the cake!! Thanks fellas

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have a Legion 226 but carried a Sig 220 for duty for about 7 years (and carried off duty for about 17 total). I hand loaded 185 to 230 for it and no matter what I had it it ran and seemed to shoot to point of aim.

I never changed any recoil springs other than replacing the factory spring with another factory spring (cant remember off the top of my head the factory weight on the 45) about every 5K ish rounds. For an alloy framed gun it seemed just as durable as a steel frame as far as it was designed to bot wear out like some other manufacturers have.

I'd say tey the factory first and see if you NEED to before you actually do.

Good luck

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The 220 is +P capable, so I don't know a spring change is required. Run it and see what you think.

FWIW, I have shot full magazines into a 1" square at 10y from a P220 using a 230gr bullet and 4.3 gr of WST.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Picked up a 220 Legion today in a trade along with a Sig 22 conversion for the 220. Previous to this the only Sig I had owned were 1911’s...... I trad d into this not being sure if I would like it. Have always been partial to 1911’s but can say after half a dozen mags I LOVE IT!!!! My question is my normal 45 load is a 185gr hp over 6.2gr of HP38 in federal brass. Shoots like a laser in all of my 1911’s. I do spring them with a 24lb Wolff spring kit and full length guide rod and a buffer. I’m not very familiar with the 220 Legion platform ...... would a 22-24lb spring work on this or is there something better? Buffers? Thanks for your help 若

24lbs seems way oversprung for that load?

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Works well in my 1911’s..... without a stout spring it beats the pistol. Considering that’s their steady diet I want to do my part for longevity.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Works well in my 1911’s..... without a stout spring it beats the pistol. Considering that’s their steady diet I want to do my part for longevity.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 1911 and a P220 are not the same. The recoil spring rate in a 1911 isn't going to be the same as needed for a P220. Among other things, you also have to consider the rate of the mainspring, which is different from a 1911. The slides are different, the amount of travel is different, the timing is different, the amount of drag from the loaded magazine is different.
    Best practice is to start with the factory springs and see how the gun functions with your chosen ammunition. Assuming a recoil spring rate based on what a 1911 would need is not going to be helpful.

Top Bottom