• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Let's preface this by saying I'm up way too late yet again...

Wondering what you lot would consider the ultimate "glovebox gun.". Different than the usual truck gun category, as it limits options primarily to handguns.

I don't have a go-to option at this point, as I'd prefer a dedicated gun to primarily reside in the vehicle. My P-01 is a bit more spendy than I prefer to have sitting in a vehicle, and does see time in my CCW rotation. My most logical choice from the collection would be my Bulgarian Mak, but sentimental reasons prohibit it....

A LEO trade in Glock/M&P are probably the smart answers, especially with the abundance of .40 S&Ws coming through at significant price reductions, but was wondering if you had any oddball/ outside the box suggestions. Adding a .40 would also add another caliber to my collection. Not necessarily a bad thing, just another thing to consider.

A S&W or Ruger LEO trade-in wheelgun was also a thought.

I'll end by stating I had a S&W 910 that was probably a perfect candidate... But I traded that towards a Spanish Mauser in 8mm....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hard to beat the value of a Hi Point for this task.

2-mks00380.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Picked up a Ruger 9e that foots the bill for me. It was for my daught but she liked my Ruger SP101 better.. go figure

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only things glove box guns are good for are getting stolen and getting their owner shot reaching for it.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The only things glove box guns are good for are getting stolen and getting their owner shot reaching for it.

Agreed...kinda
    I put my carry in a dash mountrd holster under the steering column just because of easier accessibility in the vehicle and keep the "glovebox gun" in the consol as a back up. Nothing stays in the vehicle overnight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I agree a LEO trade in Glock or any Glock would be good if that is what you normally shoot/carry. A small revolver also would work. I had a Model 13 that would have filled that role.

I don't keep guns in my car overnight since my car is parked outside. I also don't ever put a gun in my glove box since that is where my registration and proof of insurance is.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    dbg326;8046800My P-01 is a bit more spendy than I prefer to have sitting in a vehicle said:
    This tells me that you already consider it very risky...

You've now gotten the right answer x10, and you knew it all along.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Wondering what you lot would consider the ultimate "glovebox gun.". Different than the usual truck gun category, as it limits options primarily to handguns.

I don't have a go-to option at this point, as I'd prefer a dedicated gun to primarily reside in the vehicle. My P-01 is a bit more spendy than I prefer to have sitting in a vehicle, and does see time in my CCW rotation. My most logical choice from the collection would be my Bulgarian Mak, but sentimental reasons prohibit it....

A LEO trade in Glock/M&P are probably the smart answers, especially with the abundance of .40 S&Ws coming through at significant price reductions, but was wondering if you had any oddball/ outside the box suggestions. Adding a .40 would also add another caliber to my collection. Not necessarily a bad thing, just another thing to consider.

I'll end by stating I had a S&W 910 that was probably a perfect candidate... But I traded that towards a Spanish Mauser in 8mm....
    You've started out wanting to explore options for a dedicated gun to primarily reside within your vehicle then you make the case in a round about way that it might not be such a good idea by virtue of assigning monetary and sentimental value to the firearm indicating the notion that it could be stolen.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

Best one is a wheel gun in the Nerf variety, compact size lightweight, and best of all if its ever stolen no harm no fowl.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Actually kinda want to reward Hi-point for their dedication to their fans by buying a Yeet Cannon/YC-9 when it comes out and use it as a piece I can kick around, e.g. as a glove box/center console gun.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I find myself in agreement with those that don't like the idea in general because of theft. For me, it's not even the threat of monetary loss. It's the fact that most criminals that make our lives and specific cause harder steal their guns and I don't want to help them or possibly allow someone to get hurt because of it.

If my life were structured differently (dedicated work vehicle that stays in a secure garage) I might consider the risk factors low enough to be tempted to consider such an addition. For me, for now, if it's not on me, it's locked up.
    I have wrestled with the concept of the truck or trunk gun too because of theft concerns and I can't do it. The dedicated traveling gun I'll be able to keep an eye on and stays with the luggage? Yeah, I can go with that concept.
    As an aside when considering choices I would skip a blued all steel gun like a Makarov. I love my Maks but anything left in changing temperature and humidity conditions is going to rust unless it's got a better finish.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not sure how to define a "glove box gun", in many cases my EDC has to go in there because of work rules or the law.

Top Bottom