• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Picked up a new MK IV at the Valpo gun show for $374.49 after tax. I am planning on using the 20% Ruger new owner discount for the Ruger factory rail and pick up a 2 pack of mags. I'm unsure if I want to go with another TRS25 when and if they go on sale in Nov. Also looking at the trigger lits out there.

I have a TRS 25 on my 6in GP100 and havent had any issues and get decent accuracy at 25yds with my handloads. I would be using this MK IV more for the squirrels and chipmunks around the house and shooting from 25yds. Would anyone recommend anything else and why?

On the trigger kits Im looking at the Volquartsen since most have it, but was wondering if they run sales? Ive also seen people use the Volquartsen kit and Tandemkross trigger. Any other kits out there people are running and like?

It'll probably be a while till I hit a range again unless I put up a makeshift 10yd range on my land so I have plenty of time to save up and do this right. Though I may still put some rounds through it on my land with the factory sight.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You may find small price variations on Volquartsen parts from different vendors, but sales are pretty much non-existent. Last I knew, Volquartsen price controls their products. Their hammer and sear is worth the price though.

I prefer the TandemKross Victory flat trigger over Volquartsen’s curved trigger. All of my Ruger builds (4 MkIIIs and 1 MkIV) have utilized Volquartsen internals and TandemKross triggers. All of them have ended up with sub 2lb triggers, average being roughly 1.75lbs.

I wouldn’t risk money on anyone else’s internal parts hoping it turns out as nice as the VQ parts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the rail and a cheapie BSA RD on my MKII. It works fine but I think I'm going to get a Vortex Venom and a dovetail mount. My wife shoots it primarily and with the bull barrel and the rail, it's kinda heavy. She doesn't complain about it and she doesn't shoot it for long sessions but I know she's like it better if I made some changes.

Mine also has the Volquartsen trigger set-up. It's sweet. I don't recall sales and I just tried to find my receipt but couldn't. That Ruger is a really nice pistol!

My 10/22 with the Brimstone trigger group is a different story though. Not a happy ending with that one.:(

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I did mine with what turbo said (at his direction). It is a stellar trigger set up.
    45194068cd48edad1414efbdb1387d87.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I did mine with what turbo said (at his direction). It is a stellar trigger set up.
    45194068cd48edad1414efbdb1387d87.jpg

Looks like the route has been determined..... I did pass up a 4006tsw with integral rail with 3 mags for 349 to get this. I still may go in on tue to talk to my buddy who would hook me up and see what he can do.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Integral rail. That would be a nice a buy.

Had the spring loaded decock only. It was what I was looking for but I dont own any 40cals and the Mark IV reviews and videos nailed that coffin shut for now. I use to work with him at the railroad but he said they have plenty in stock and when he seen them he thought about letting me know. I'll still go in and see if he can pick me a nicer one at a little better price. If I can walk out with it for under 360 I'm sold.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Had the spring loaded decock only. It was what I was looking for but I dont own any 40cals and the Mark IV reviews and videos nailed that coffin shut for now. I use to work with him at the railroad but he said they have plenty in stock and when he seen them he thought about letting me know. I'll still go in and see if he can pick me a nicer one at a little better price. If I can walk out with it for under 360 I'm sold.

Worth picking up. The surpluses won’t last forever.

The Mark IV is worth picking up. I put a Vortex Venom on it and it’s a great combination. Turbo keeps trying to talk me into a VQ barrel but I am holding strong so far.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have the rail and a cheapie BSA RD on my MKII. It works fine but I think I'm going to get a Vortex Venom and a dovetail mount. My wife shoots it primarily and with the bull barrel and the rail, it's kinda heavy. She doesn't complain about it and she doesn't shoot it for long sessions but I know she's like it better if I made some changes.

Mine also has the Volquartsen trigger set-up. It's sweet. I don't recall sales and I just tried to find my receipt but couldn't. That Ruger is a really nice pistol!

My 10/22 with the Brimstone trigger group is a different story though. Not a happy ending with that one.:(

Off topic, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard that with the Brimstone 10/22 triggers. Some really love them, some are more iffy. I would suggest for a similar price to the Brimstone doing the Kidd trigger kit.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Worth picking up. The surpluses won’t last forever.

The Mark IV is worth picking up. I put a Vortex Venom on it and it’s a great combination. Turbo keeps trying to talk me into a VQ barrel but I am holding strong so far.

Yep and hopefully they still have some on tuesday. But a new gun still can't be beat. I shot cookies MKIII and liked it. Saw a MKIII SS Target with 3 mags and rail for I think 449 at the ZX booth as well but settled on the one button takedown. Lots of 22/45's to be seen.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    There shouldn't be much variation in accuracy with the tapered barrel vs the bull barrel? Ive got an air rifle I could use for squirrels but id be shooting from a inside a window for them damn chipmunks. Its not often you'll put hundreds of rounds down range one after another till something melts.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve not seen anyone definitively prove the heavy barrel is more mechanically accurate than the taper barrel.

Lots of disagreements thought about which is easier to shoot accurately. Some really like the heavy barrel, others really like the taper.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Who makes good wooden grips? Looking for something left handed and I know on the CZ's fit is hit or miss on some of the major and minor players.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When the wife got her Mark IV 22/45 lite I did all the TK upgrades to it. Thing runs flawlessly and trigger is great. As far as optics wife went with an Opsrey Global red dot and it has performed perfectly as well. Osprey is almost always at the Lake County Gun show if you wanted to check them out in person. Daughter has one of their red dots on her 10/22 as well and never an issue.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I'll vouch for the VQ internals. Aero/Turbo installed mine in my 22/45, and it transformed it from a gun that was on the fence of being sold to an absolute keeper. Everyone who has shot it (newbies to the more experienced RO's at my local range) have loved it. I have the curved trigger and don't mind it. It is a bit flatter than the factory trigger, however more curved than the Tandemkross unit.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll vouch for the VQ internals. Aero/Turbo installed mine in my 22/45, and it transformed it from a gun that was on the fence of being sold to an absolute keeper. Everyone who has shot it (newbies to the more experienced RO's at my local range) have loved it. I have the curved trigger and don't mind it. It is a bit flatter than the factory trigger, however more curved than the Tandemkross unit.

Good to hear it’s being loved!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like the route has been determined..... I did pass up a 4006tsw with integral rail with 3 mags for 349 to get this. I still may go in on tue to talk to my buddy who would hook me up and see what he can do.

A SW 4006 TSW with 3 mags for $349: terrific deal!
    Mine just has the "added" rail.
    I hope yours has the rear adjustable sight; that is why I bought mine.

Top Bottom