• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    A little giddy.. Just placed a pre order for the Hellcat OSP model and now just have to hurry up and wait. Brownells has a nice discount going on right now too with a code I saved just over $50 on it. Now the question is which optic to go with. Springfield is pushing the RMSc or whatever it is, not a fan. $400 and bad reviews from what I can tell. Just saw today the Sig Romo Zero which seems to be about the same size and should work for half the cost. I will have to wait and see till I get the gun if the Vortex or Trijicon RMR will fit. Anyone have any experience with any of those sights?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would be VERY surprised is the Hellcat can fit an RMR on it.

As for Romeo Zero, I am passing on that optic because it has a polymer body and polymer lens.

Shield RMS/RMSc is an aluminum body (which I prefer) but also still has a polymer lens. I have an RMSc on a EDC gun and, over time, the lens has gotten very scratched. Unless you use a qtip, the polymer lens WILL scratch.

However, according to Shield, they has a fully glass lens option coming out very soon. When they release that version, I will be buying one to go on my P365XL

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I figure I have a little time to see what comes out. I don't know why I would worry about scratches on the lens? I have never had a optic on a handgun before but what would cause me to scratch it, just for everyday wear?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Using your shirt or whatever other cloth you happen to find laying around to clean off lint, fingerprints or powder residues will practically guarantee scratches in short order.

It is an optical window, treat it like one.

Keeping a cover over it when not in use to maintain cleanliness and to prevent scratches kind of precludes the suitability for an optic to be used on an EDC gun though...I would like to see where the evolution of holsters goes to accommodate the advances in accessories. Even if you don't scratch the substrate (poly-carbonate or glass) coatings can be soft. Soft coatings are cheap and mass-produced. Crossbreed has already released several, but I would like to see something that cradles or protects the optic in some small way. I have never really found a good source of holsters/designs for laser-equipped guns.

Please let us know how yours runs when you get it. I'm trying to get over my estrangement from Springfield.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Using your shirt or whatever other cloth you happen to find laying around to clean off lint, fingerprints or powder residues will practically guarantee scratches in short order.

It is an optical window, treat it like one.

Keeping a cover over it when not in use to maintain cleanliness and to prevent scratches kind of precludes the suitability for an optic to be used on an EDC gun though...I would like to see where the evolution of holsters goes to accommodate the advances in accessories. Even if you don't scratch the substrate (poly-carbonate or glass) coatings can be soft. Soft coatings are cheap and mass-produced. Crossbreed has already released several, but I would like to see something that cradles or protects the optic in some small way. I have never really found a good source of holsters/designs for laser-equipped guns.

Please let us know how yours runs when you get it. I'm trying to get over my estrangement from Springfield.

I'd think the holster would just trap lint, dirt, etc on the lens. I haven't had one yet, but I don't think I'd want a polymer lens unless they somehow came up with one that wasn't prone to scratching. It would be like having a plexi-glass windshield. You would not be able to see through it in short order due to micro scratching.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I'm certain that wearing a RDS under a shirt it is going to be full of lint no matter what you do. In the long run I would be concerned about lint and debris getting into the emitter hole.

This new approach to RDS on EDC is interesting to me. I like the RDS' that I have used. I have a couple, one on a pistol and one on a PCC. I bought my brother a Vortex last year for Christmas. He put it on his MKIV and hasn't had any problems with it. I didn't care for the automatic brightness control that is on some models at first, but I have started to trust it. It really does work quite well from indoors/poor lighting to direct sunlight.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Interesting stuff. I have never had a optic on a handgun so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I see the regular hellcat is out in the wild but I have not seen any of the OSP models yet other then the pre order. I called Milt Sparks holsters yesterday and the guy I spoke to said that they just got the Hellcat yesterday to start molding and the OSP version would be available later in the VM2 model which is perfect because that's the one I want.

It will be interesting to see who else makes something to accommodate the Hellcat and other similar guns.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Interesting stuff. I have never had a optic on a handgun so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I see the regular hellcat is out in the wild but I have not seen any of the OSP models yet other then the pre order. I called Milt Sparks holsters yesterday and the guy I spoke to said that they just got the Hellcat yesterday to start molding and the OSP version would be available later in the VM2 model which is perfect because that's the one I want.

It will be interesting to see who else makes something to accommodate the Hellcat and other similar guns.

I received an email from Galco saying they have fits available now for the HellCat.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I got an email back from Springfield and seems like the OSP model will not be shipping to customers till mid Dec?? Strange because all the reviews seem to be based on that model but what do I know.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    First thought that came to mind, what is a post about a 800 hp muscle car doing in a handgun forum?

Then I realized, it's been too long since I went gun shopping!

Nice piece, I like it! :thumbsup:

Looks like it could be just the ticket for bicycle carry, something I've been doing a lot of lately.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom