• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Perusing through Gander Outdoors this evening and I came across a Kimber K6S DC for $685+tax. Compared to the sticker price it was 35% off and really seemed like a great buy. I have been looking to get a revolver for over a year now and still haven't bit the bullet, so this seems like a good way to jump in to the revolver pool. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this model or other K6S models? I have larger hands and I couldn't comfortably get my pinky on the grip, but that is the case with most snubbies I've held. From my quick search it seems to be well liked. 6 rounds of 357 added and it is pretty hefty little gun, but would hopefully help with the recoil. I'd love to hear any and all advice from you guys and gals!

[FONT=&amp]
    ms8nE1u.png
    [/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have read some good reviews. I think doddg got some Kimber model and posted up his experience with it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really like them and at that price I’d struggle not to buy it. I’ve looked at them since they came out. If I hadn’t bought my Model 60 already I’d be all over that.

The trigger is different. It’s not quite like a S&W or a Ruger. Maybe somewhere in between. But they are very smooth triggers and they hide their pull weight very well. It’s a soft shooter for its size. You’ll still feel 357s with it, but they are manageable.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a K6s that I bought when they first came out. I had seen them at the NRA Convention the year before and was waiting to find one originally. I think it carries very well and shoots as good as any Snubby with 357. It's a hand fall but not too bad with 38 special. I carry mine with with the very lightweight Liberty Civil Defense Ammo.

I've not had any issues except it didn't "eject" some Tula steel case ammo too easily.

I really like that black finish and I think it's a great price. Good luck in your decision...

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did buy one last September from a member here for $625, and I have not replaced it with anything b/c it is a heavier, stainless, 6 rounds, and is as small as my light Ruger .38 special.
    I have had many of the .357 revolvers out there, from $200 - $625.
    Some were hard to hold onto and I immediately bought another grip, but I didn't need to do so with this one.
    Just like the Ruger delivers a smoother trigger with less recoil (as advertised), so does this Kimber, but with 6 rounds!
    I have large hands and can't get my pinky on the grip either, but I don't need to buy one.
    Trigger is smooth.

20190903-202719.jpg
    20190903-202552.jpg

2 different brands of .357 magnum
    noBRNJq.jpg

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Glad to hear some good reviews. I have really been looking hard at the 2 tone version with the crimson trace and just have really not seen any except for 2 on gun broker for $1,300+.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry mine with with the very lightweight Liberty Civil Defense Ammo.

FWIW, I've seen that Liberty ammo used in the real world and it was extremely ineffective. It makes messy but shallow wounds and will not penetrate bones. It does fragment as advertised, but can't get deep enough to hit vitals. The resulting x-ray shows a connect-the-dots combined with sand type pattern, but only a few inches into muscle tissue. The 9mm version didn't even make it through a 12 year old girl's arm. It's a scary looking wound due to the surface size, but not a physically incapacitating injury.

If you need a lighter recoil load I would suggest wadcutters. Due to the depth they sit in the brass they don't require as much powder and have reduced recoil as a result. You don't get any expansion, of course, but they deal with bone well and have good penetration. Pretty much no .38 expands and has sufficient penetration at standard pressures from short barrels. Some +P loads can, but at the expense of increased recoil. If you can tolerate it, Winchester's +P 130 gr offerings (among others) expand reliably and still maintain decent penetration.

As far as the Kimber, other than early offerings having some firing pin issues everything I've heard has been pretty positive. I played around with one at the NRA show and was impressed with the sights and the general feel. Not enough to move away from the LCR, though. The LCR is only 5 rounds but the design of the grip stud and wrap around rubber grip make it absorb a lot of recoil energy that an exposed backstrap puts into your hand. Personal preference, but I also like the LCR's cammed trigger better. I did replace the OEM front sight with a high visibility one, but that's easy to do since the front is just pinned. Your stuck with the rear gutter sight, though. In short, I think the Kimber is a fine option but not enough for me to justify the price or for me personally to jump on one.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    When these first came out, I bought one just after walking in my local gun shop. He said he put it out 5 minutes prior to my arrival. So, cash, gun, thanks. I told my wife that she now owns a new revolver. We went to the range and I immediately liked it. Grip is the blue rubber, sights stock. Recoil was more than manageable and second shot on target was quick and accurate. After a few hundred rounds and a training session with a revolver she carries this gun religiously. I want one for myself.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When these first came out, I bought one just after walking in my local gun shop. He said he put it out 5 minutes prior to my arrival. So, cash, gun, thanks. I told my wife that she now owns a new revolver. We went to the range and I immediately liked it. Grip is the blue rubber, sights stock. Recoil was more than manageable and second shot on target was quick and accurate. After a few hundred rounds and a training session with a revolver she carries this gun religiously. I want one for myself.

Your wife's managing the .357 recoil certainly illustrates and is a great testimony to the claim of better recoil.
    I still am impressed, though! :thumbsup:
    I would live in a perfect world if my wife liked convertibles & the range. :laugh:

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I liked the one I held in the shop so much I'm considering getting rid of my Detective Special and 638 to obtain obtain the LE Version

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I’m not a wheel gun guy but what really makes one revolver of the same size different from the other, better triggers?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good question.
    Trigger is huge. I have pulled anywhere from a 3# to a 24# trigger.
    The "stacking" of the trigger: trigger gets tougher to pull the further back you get.
    How quick it "resets" is another.
    But, the "smoothness" of the trigger pull can make one trigger sweeter than another even with the same #s of pull.
    I am not spoiled with a great trigger pull since I've never paid to put in a lighter one (except once on a CZ Shadow 2 semi-auto).
    But, I have bought a guns with trigger work done, or in the case of this Kimber, it came with a sweet trigger (my Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp .357 was the best, but the previous owner had put in another spring!).
    A good trigger simply allows you improved accuracy.
    The more you practice/train, you can overcome a "tough" trigger.
    I actually like practicing with a Double/Action only trigger and have bought guns that were D/A only just for that purpose so as to improve my trigger control.
    I have a Ruger LCR .22LR, Ruger LCR .38 special, and this Kimber .357, and just sold a Sig Sauer P250 9mm and a Kahr 9094 model, all that are D/A only.
    The challenge is fun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom