• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When were serial numbers mandated? Old Revolver

I have an old revolver in 38 S&W. It has no serial number on it anywhere. How old is this pistol? I'll get the make and model later it's at home right now.

I'll post pictures as well.

Last edited:

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Manufacturers still did for record keeping, especially the house hold names but I'm not sure others would have. For example, I have a Winchester Model 70 from 1955 that I looked up by the serial number.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I seen it at a gun show. It was on the cheap. I had my gunsmith check it out. He said it's still shootable. Now just have to find dies, brass. And .360 caliber bullets to test it. I can't find 38 S&W at my local gun shops. My gunsmith thinks it was made around 1920.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Lots of now defunct companies produced revolvers in .32 S&W and .38 S&W in the early 1900s. Ammo can be found locally with a lot of looking. i have a couple revolvers in this caliber but don't keep much ammo on hand. Just a box or three I ordered online.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Manufacturers still did for record keeping, especially the house hold names but I'm not sure others would have. For example, I have a Winchester Model 70 from 1955 that I looked up by the serial number.

Not all manufacturers used serial numbers for record keeping, even among the major companies. Remington is the one that comes to mind for me, though it is quite unlikely that it's a Remington revolver in .38 S&W.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not a hard cartridge to reload, cast lead bullets work quite well. A soft alloy can help with accuracy if the bore size is too large.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

It's a Harrington and Richardson. I cannot find a model or serial number on it other than the patient date. Can anyone identify the model and maybe a year this was made?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

It's a Harrington and Richardson. I cannot find a model or serial number on it other than the patient date. Can anyone identify the model and maybe a year this was made?

H&R put the serial number under the grips on some old models.

Top Bottom