• ...and so much more!
  • Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I acquired this (alloy frame) model 39 and trying to determine if it is worth restoring or at least having a gunsmith repair to usable condition. The slide stop button is missing, but other than that I have no idea what else may be wrong with it. Any thoughts?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They are good working pistols form an earlier era of 9mm. I carried one for a few years, but sold it when offered more than I paid.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That slide stop pin will have to be riveted in place. Midwayusa has one for $3.89 I believe it was. Lots more information on the S&W forum about repairing that.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I went ahead and sent it to S&W for function check and to replace any non-original/non-working parts. I am not going to have them refinish slide/frame.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I went ahead and sent it to S&W for function check and to replace any non-original/non-working parts. I am not going to have them refinish slide/frame.

Huzzah! I'm a big fan of the Model 39.

f6kRfDr.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Huzzah! I'm a big fan of the Model 39.

f6kRfDr.jpg

Wonderful! :thumbsup:
    stainless with wood: classic.
    And with heft & a hammer: perfect!
    And, I think I can see a little "red" on the front sight: I could see!
    So many guns I've had to put white or red fluorescent paint on the front sight to be able to see, from my expensive Smith 41 to an inexpensive Hi-Standard nickel revolver I bought this week.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looks like the grips were stripped. Some Linspeed Oil or Tung oil would make them look good, I'd bet. Sending it to S&W was probably a good move. I personally wouldn't get too much money tied up in a well-used shooter. $400 total would be my limit.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Wonderful! :thumbsup:
    stainless with wood: classic.
    And with heft & a hammer: perfect!
    And, I think I can see a little "red" on the front sight: I could see!
    So many guns I've had to put white or red fluorescent paint on the front sight to be able to see, from my expensive Smith 41 to an inexpensive Hi-Standard nickel revolver I bought this week.

Back in the day, my Dad used to paint a bit of orange paint on the front sight of his pistols. I did this Model 39 the same way probably 20 years ago when I first bought it.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    After contacting S&W and getting approval (including a FedEx return label) to send in for repair, I finally received the Model 39 back in the same condition as I sent it. Dear Customer, we apologize that we cannot be of assistance to you in this matter. The enclosed firearm is an obsolete model.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After contacting S&W and getting approval (including a FedEx return label) to send in for repair, I finally received the Model 39 back in the same condition as I sent it. Dear Customer, we apologize that we cannot be of assistance to you in this matter. The enclosed firearm is an obsolete model.

How did they now know that piece of information when you sent it in?

Top Bottom