• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    There are a lot of options out there for times when you may want to carry something smaller. That said, I never seem to want to. In fact, I never seem to keep a small handgun very long as they just don't feel right in my hand. My Glock 19 is the smallest I own, and it seldom gets carried because of the way my pinkie hangs off the end of the grip. I would like to hear from those out there who carry a full size on a daily basis like I do.

For years. my daily was my trusty 1911, but I wanted a gun with a light mount, and decided to give some of the new polymers a try. At first it was an XD in .45 ACP. Very nice gun, but the double stack .45 grip was just a bit big for my short fingers. Decided to give Glock a try. I found a Vickers edition Glock 17. (here on INGO) I instantly liked the feel of it because the normal Glocks are made of a different plastic that I don't like. Being a 9mm, it wasn't quite as fat in the grip either. This is now my daily carry gun. I carry it with a TLR1 in a Bravo Concealment holster with the pancake loops.

I've found that with a lose fitting T-shirt and the Bravo Concealment holster, I never have a problem with anyone noticing it. In fact, I think that even it it did print a bit, the worry of the general public noticing it is probably overplayed. They generally are oblivious to their surroundings. Maybe another gun owner, or a trained LEO may notice, but I'm not worried about them...

With the full size gun I have a very good grip on the gun, a good sight radius, a mounted light, the best reliability, and excellent ammunition capacity.

vNXX4jE.jpg

I still carry the 1911 from time to time, but it's a stainless S&W, so I reserve it for those times when I have to dress nice, and have my shirt tucked in, and open carry is my only option. It's heavy, can't mount a light, and has limited ammo, but at least it's pretty.

yAwboAA.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I carry all different things from pocket gun to full size cz75. I always carry owb with full size and just dress accordingly to cover

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I carry everything from a tiny LCP to a full-size M&P depending factors like the time of year and what I'm wearing. My most common EDC would have to be a M&P40 2.0 Compact, which is the same size as the G19. I do prefer the improved controllability and the increased capacity of a full-sized handgun, but sometimes it's just not in the cards.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Absolutely. Probably never need the bucket of bullets in the mag or 52 rounds total on the belt, but if you need them you really need them.

If your attacker is in multiples or carrying a long gun, you might just need every round you have and more.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Glock 17M pretty much all the time. 4" GP100 MC for backpacking and occasional other AIWB carry. Pretty much the only time I'm out of the house without a duty sized gun is jogging, then I'll go down to a Shield.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    On occasion, I’ll carry a CZ Phantom but a G23/P07 sized gun works best for me. If I do carry a full size, it’s most likely the Phantom or P09 in .40. Main reason that I don’t is that I find full size uncomfortable when sitting for long periods and I sit for long periods for work.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    S&W N Frame, Thunder Ranch 22-4 Mod 1950. I put on a loose jacket and no one seems the wiser. Or maybe they don't care.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I carry a Ruger gp100 4". Always carried owb and most of the time an unbuttoned shirt or light jacket 'covering' it. Noone seems to notice or care even when it is not covered.

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    I usually EDC a full size all the time. I'm a bigger guy so that helps some. Other than that if I carry IWB I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I usually carry either a duty sized Glock in one of several calibers I have (Mostly my 21SF or my 10mm. Sometimes my 17) , one of my Sigs (either P226 or P320), or lately for the last few days my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911. If I carry OWB (usually when its cooler outside so I can utilize a cover garment like a jacket or coat) I either use one of several models of Safariland GLS or ALS holsters I have. I am right now in the process of looking for a new leather rigid belt to replace my old Bigfoot gun belt. It has served its purpose well and is time for a new one so I'm gonna try something new. I usually dont have a problem with printing when carrying IWB due to the Crossbreed Supertuck and a loose fitting dark colored shirt and my normal carry position vs my body type.
    In the summer when it's real hot outside and I'm going somewhere that isnt too "carry friendly" then I usually step down to carrying just my B.U.G which is usually either a Glock 43 or a Sig 938 either in an inside the pocket holster or an IWB holster that's set to ride deep in my waistband.
    The majority of the time I say screw it when it's real hot outside and still carry both guns. When I do that it's one of the full size sidearms in the Crossbreed Supertuck and the smaller back up gun in a sticky holster or a DeSantis inside the pocket holster in one of my cargo pockets or my back pocket. I really dont think anyone has ever noticed. If they have then noone has ever said anything.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I switched from my summer warm weather 8rd 45 Shield to my cool weather 19rd Canik TP9DA.

What are you using for a holster with that Canick? I just picked up an Elite Combat I would like to put into rotation.

Most of the time full size is my preference. Guns have come and gone over the years, but an HK USP9 and a Browning Hi Power have always been go to guns especially when shoulder holster weather is here.

I don't think it really counts as full size, but my Makarovs get a lot of miles on them, and there's usually either a .380 pocket pistol or a Ruger SP 101 hanging around as a back up.

It just depends on what I'm wearing.

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    There are a lot of options out there for times when you may want to carry something smaller. That said, I never seem to want to. In fact, I never seem to keep a small handgun very long as they just don't feel right in my hand. My Glock 19 is the smallest I own, and it seldom gets carried because of the way my pinkie hangs off the end of the grip. I would like to hear from those out there who carry a full size on a daily basis like I do.

For years. my daily was my trusty 1911, but I wanted a gun with a light mount, and decided to give some of the new polymers a try. At first it was an XD in .45 ACP. Very nice gun, but the double stack .45 grip was just a bit big for my short fingers. Decided to give Glock a try. I found a Vickers edition Glock 17. (here on INGO) I instantly liked the feel of it because the normal Glocks are made of a different plastic that I don't like. Being a 9mm, it wasn't quite as fat in the grip either. This is now my daily carry gun. I carry it with a TLR1 in a Bravo Concealment holster with the pancake loops.

I've found that with a lose fitting T-shirt and the Bravo Concealment holster, I never have a problem with anyone noticing it. In fact, I think that even it it did print a bit, the worry of the general public noticing it is probably overplayed. They generally are oblivious to their surroundings. Maybe another gun owner, or a trained LEO may notice, but I'm not worried about them...

With the full size gun I have a very good grip on the gun, a good sight radius, a mounted light, the best reliability, and excellent ammunition capacity.

vNXX4jE.jpg

I still carry the 1911 from time to time, but it's a stainless S&W, so I reserve it for those times when I have to dress nice, and have my shirt tucked in, and open carry is my only option. It's heavy, can't mount a light, and has limited ammo, but at least it's pretty.

yAwboAA.jpg

That's one nice looking Smith and Wesson!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What are you using for a holster with that Canick? I just picked up an Elite Combat I would like to put into rotation.

Most of the time full size is my preference. Guns have come and gone over the years, but an HK USP9 and a Browning Hi Power have always been go to guns especially when shoulder holster weather is here.

I don't think it really counts as full size, but my Makarovs get a lot of miles on them, and there's usually either a .380 pocket pistol or a Ruger SP 101 hanging around as a back up.

It just depends on what I'm wearing.

I'm an alien gear fan. I use the IWB 3.5 model. Most comfortable IWB that works I have ever tried. I work in the woods. Cut many trees. It stays where I put it bending, turning, lifting, etc, etc. It's also nice in the summer heat against your skin compared to the many holsters I've tried. The shell is for the TP9SA. It works fine for the DA as well as the SF and the V2. The latter two I gave to my daughter and nephew because they wanted one lol.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've never really cared for the full-sized Glock pistols until the Gen 4 came out as the larger grip is just not comfortable with my smaller hands.
    I always preferred a snubbie revolver or a compact or subcompact sized pistol and stayed away from the 'duty-sized' pistols.
    A friend had a Gen 4 Glock 22 for sale a little over a year ago and I held it and dang, in the small, base-grip platform, it was very comfortable.
    Since then it's worked itself into the EDC rotation and I ended up selling both my Glock 26 and 27 as they were quickly emptied and returned to the safe.
    The more I study and understand ballistics (bullet size, grain/weight, velocity, etc.), the more I'm leaning towards longer-barreled pistols anyhow, so this is a good switch!
    A loose t-shirt, a jacket, a pull-over, etc. to cover it and I'm good!
    Add a CRKT knife in one pocket and a Streamlight AA flashlight in the other...and I'm good to go!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I carry a Ruger gp100 4". Always carried owb and most of the time an unbuttoned shirt or light jacket 'covering' it. Noone seems to notice or care even when it is not covered.

My first .357 was a 4" GP100...loved it!
    My current 4" is a fixed-sight version...that shoots to POA dead-center down the fixed-sights!
    Shortly after I discovered the SP101...and CC'd one for 10+ years...and it's still in the rotation!

Top Bottom