• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I was pretty dead set on a 10mm until reading about Mr. Harold Fish. Granted that could happen given many calibers. So I was moving back to the 9mm legion which is what I still plan on ordering next week. My question is after doing a little reading on the Sig 357, can I really just pop a $150 barrel in my legion and have a 357sig ? Using the same mags and everything? I must admit I know little about it other then it is currently not popular

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So I was pretty dead set on a 10mm until reading about Mr. Harold Fish. Granted that could happen given many calibers. So I was moving back to the 9mm legion which is what I still plan on ordering next week. My question is after doing a little reading on the Sig 357, can I really just pop a $150 barrel in my legion and have a 357sig ? Using the same mags and everything? I must admit I know little about it other then it is currently not popular

I don't think with a 9mm you can just swap the barrel to .357 Sig.

But if you have a .40SW you can just swap the barrel to the OEM .357 Sig barrel, and will be good to go.
    I've done this with a Sig P226 and a Sig P229.
    The magazines work fine.

The .357 Sig is a great round!
    Underwood makes some great self defense loads.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    357sig is a 9mm in a 40 case basically. Your 9mm won't convert to it easily, 40 does.

Practice ammo isn't bad right now if you shop online.

RMG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    West Side

But if you have a .40SW you can just swap the barrel to the OEM .357 Sig barrel, and will be good to go.
    The magazines work fine.

Have done the same with Sig SP2022 - have 2 barrels .357 SIG and .40 S&W

+1 - Agreed, Underwood makes great self defense loads.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So you are stepping away from arguably the best SD/HD semi-auto caliber because of the case brought against Mr. Fish....???? Bigtanker put it about right in your 10mm thread.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I converted a P229-40 to .357 and did the same with a P239.
    the P229 uses the same mags for 40/357.
    the P239 had separate mags for the two calibers.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Mr. Fish didn’t listen to my rules, honestly he tripped up a lot in his interviews and was baited into some statements on sketchy stuff.
    In summary Mr. Fish talked himself into prison by being a nice guy attempting to cooperate with the authorities.

Brad’s rules for being interviewed by officials!

1. Tell the truth (Brad almost went to the big house if he would have lied)

2. Don’t answer questions that you don’t know the answer for.

3. Don’t assume ever ever that the person interviewing you is looking out for your best interest.

4. Listen to the questions carefully often the person doing the interview knows the answer.

5. It’s OK to say I don’t recall no matter what the interviewer says.

6. Don’t let threats get to you if they had the goods on you would be under arrest.

7. Don’t believe the “your part of the team” crap! (Your the part that can go to prison)

8. Understand the person talking to you gets paid to get information.

9. Anything that comes out of the interviewers mouth may be a lie.

10. Be aware anything you say if found to be lying will send you to jail.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So you are stepping away from arguably the best SD/HD semi-auto caliber because of the case brought against Mr. Fish....???? Bigtanker put it about right in your 10mm thread.

I don't know about the Mr Fish story, but I agree that the 10mm is a GREAT round, I do carry it, and consider it an even better round than the .357 Sig.
    But I like the .357 Sig because it's also a hot round, but the pistols that shoot it seems to be lighter and more concealable than those that shoot 10mm.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

The magazines work fine.

I concur, with a P229 in .40, it's just a barrel swap. I'm in the process of reclaiming my late father's P229 in 357SIG that I had outfitted
    with a new .40 cal barrel because of the high cost involved with the 357 SIG rounds.

There's a reason the US Air Marshall's carry the .357 Sig, it's a darn great round, and up until the US Secret Service switched to
    the Glock 9mm fanboi wagon, they used it over 20 years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    .40, yes as far as function. Your POA vs POI will change a bit, though. Sig uses a #8 front sight for .357 Sig/9mm and a #6 for .40.

9mm, no. You'll need a conversion barrel.

*edit* This assumes you are using a P22X of some type. If it's a plastic Sig, I suspect the above remains true but don't know.

If you elect to go this route, make sure the .357 Sig ammo you are buying is actually .357 Sig ammo, not repurposed 9mm bullets overdriven.

The only marginal difference you will see is reduced bullet drop, making long range shots easier. You will gain noise and muzzle flash, which I suspect can increase the effectiveness for psychological stops, but also you have to deal with increased noise and muzzle flash. You will see no difference in terminal ballistics compared to other duty calibers, which at this point is all so many angels on a pinhead. Up to you if that's worth the cost of entry.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I don't know about the Mr Fish story, but I agree that the 10mm is a GREAT round, I do carry it, and consider it an even better round than the .357 Sig.
    But I like the .357 Sig because it's also a hot round, but the pistols that shoot it seems to be lighter and more concealable than those that shoot 10mm.

Short version the guy made a very questionable to bad shoot and was very naive in his articulation to authorities. The fact he used a 10mm was dialed in on by several on several gun forums as why he was "charged" which was not the reason. .

This was also around the same time the Officer in AZ was in the funny papers because of a very sketchy shoot. He was disciplined over a dust cover that had ensciptedwhich was against department policy. That was used or tried to get used as malice or he was "gunning" for suspects.

Bottom line a good shoot is a good shoot. and 10MM is a great round.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I am leaning toward both the 9m and the 10mm. Waiting to hear back from a company that Sig recommended to mil the slide and give me a price on the total package

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have a Sig 229 Legion in .40 S&W. I also have a .357 Sig and a Bar-sto 9mm conversion barrel. I really like the versatility and if either of the calibers go out of style/production. Some have a different POA/POI I will always have the 9mm. Mine isn't too far off.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

When I rate semi-auto calibers, I tend to list them in the following manner, better to worse, considering both power-factor and effectiveness-wise...

10mm
    .357 SIG
    .45 ACP
    .40 S&W
    9mm
    .380 acp

Pistols that shoot .357 SIG do tend to be smaller than those that shoot 10mm...for example, a Glock 29 is the smallest 10mm pistol produced by Glock, whereas the the Glock 32 is similar in size and the Glock 33 is the subcompact version.

Top Bottom