• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't want to hear about any 1911 above $600. It has to be a government .45 ACP. I have 1911's done by major gunsmiths not simi-custon productions. I know about high dollar 1911's but not lower cost 1911's.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :popcorn:

Not being a smart guy but more curious as to what comes.
    The RIA's I have seen of late are not all that bad compared to what they were a few years ago.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got a Thompson Auto Ordnance A1 government series 80 45acp at Point Blank a couple weeks ago for $409. It went straight back to the factory for fit and finish issues, under warranty. It will have a new slide fitted and might be a good shooter. I'll see what $409 gets me when it comes back. The barrel bushing was really tight, which is good. The slide fit was a little loose and the lugs were fitted by a 12 year old with a grinder, but lockup was good.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Honestly taurus. Mine was rock solid, the guys in the local club are all happy. Remington is apparently a good value. Springfield is you can find an ro for 400ish and put another 3 or 4 or 900 into a visit at the body shop.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have a buddy that just bought a brand new RIA Tactical 2 from Rural King for $560 otd. It has a full length dust cover with a rail, descent front f.o. sights, fixed rear sights, magwell & ambi safety. Im not sure theyre VZ grips but very similar. I was quite skeptical and even told him to save a few more pennies and find a used SA, Ruger or maybe even a Kimber but he insisted and it was his cash so..
    Have to say I was suprised. The slide was kinda tight, not WC or LB tight but close to SA tight. The bushing was tight. Trigger kinda sucked but for under $600 what do you expect but it might smooth out after 500 or so rounds. He ran a couple boxes of 230gr fmj thru it without any ftf or fte issues and he kept most of them on a 4" target at 7yds. Really suprised because its only his 2nd handgun. Looks like he got a descent economy 1911. I'd still save a few more pennies for a used SA but if you didnt want to you might want to check one out.

Last edited:

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    The worst thread topic ever... a 1911 for under $600. Laughable.

If I had to contribute to this thread in any meaningful way, I would say grab a RIA... for what it is, it’s fine. You can probably score a used Ruger SR1911 for under $600 and that’s really what you should buy.

I think I have seen used Series 1 Kimbers pop up at that price? Probably a decent buy. I guess I could endorse a USED Springfield Loaded, but I have a hard time saying buy anything SA.

Ill be honest, if you know and own real true custom 1911’s... or even semi custom 1911’s, saying you “know” nothing about sub $600 ones is a bit bizarre . But you said it not me. Anyone who “knows” about them would never post this topic

To me the topic screams the poor’s are coming... and if that’s the case, fine... but there are better platforms/weapon systems to jump into than cheap 1911’s.... it’s part of the reason 1911’s get a bad wrap.

As mentioned go grab a G19 or if you really want to get crazy get a use P30 and call it a day. If you want a 1911 be a man and pony up for a Dan Wesson, otherwise choose a different direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK enough of the G**** crap. Mouse never jumps in a G**** thread and says go 1911. Uncool people. Not saying this as staff either just saying it as a dyed in the wool 1911 guy.

There are some OK entry level 1911's out there. Not a Thompson. Never ever a Thompson. I have owned 3 of them and every one was a tragedy in mechanical idiocy. JMHO on that Manf.

I see where the OP was goin so lets all chip in and go there. I just bought a stellar SA loaded used for exactly $600. It is one of the sweetest fit up out of the box stainless I have ever had. Slide to frame fit. Came with extra mags and a nice EDC holster. Right out of the classies. Languished there for a while. Made an offer and it was mine.

Due to the slide frame niceness it went to my good friend AllenM's shop. Ggreen made a body shop comment. He was correct. I get it.

This is the gun as of Saturday...……It is no longer a $600 1911.....:):

OQaKGvk.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    OK enough of the G**** crap. Mouse never jumps in a G**** thread and says go 1911. Uncool people.

Bro you already know I am a 1911 guy. The thread makes no sense at all. The OP literally says he knows about high end 1911’s. If you know about high end 1911’s , then you should ultimately know that at the $600 and below price point there are better weapon system to be had. IMO this is not a debatable subject.

He also didn’t say tell me about best sub $600 base gun or slide and frame to buy to eventually build or mod.

Being a 1911 guy, I’ve just seen way to many people show up to train with these kind of gun and all they do is fail over and over. Then they complain and other non 1911 guys see this, and think “all 1911’s suck”. It’s because a 1911 isn’t a gun that realistically should be priced at $600 bucks. To properly build a 1911 is not something that can be done for $600.

As a side note, I’m not talking about going to the range and just shooting a few hundred rounds either. If that’s then all someone wants, fine... as mentioned grab an SR1911 or RIA and call it a day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bro you already know I am a 1911 guy. The thread makes no sense at all. The OP literally says he knows about high end 1911’s. If you know about high end 1911’s then you should ultimately know that at the $600 and below price point there are better weapon system to be had. IMO this is not a debatable subject.

He also didn’t say tell me about best sub $600 base gun or slide and frame to buy to eventually built or mod.

Being a 1911 guy, I’ve just seen way to many people show up to train with these kind of gun and all they do is fail and over. Then they complain and other non 1911 guys see this, and think “all 1911’s suck”. It’s because a 1911 isn’t a gun that realistically should be priced at $600 bucks. To properly build a 1911 is not something that can be done for $600.

As a side note, I’m not talking about going to the range and just shooting a few hundred rounds either. If that’s then fine... as mentioned grab an SR1911 or RIA and call it a day.

oh I get it I really do. and I agree with your opinion. My point is just roll with it. In doing so we can expose the truth. The truth being that cheap buying practices are not what a gun owner should be focused on. Especially with a 1911.

I have been up and down this path so many times with friends and people in general buying into the sub $600 1911 thing.
    If that is your budget and you lack patience to save up a bit longer then look in the used market. Right now we are seeing some stellar deals out there

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    oh I get it I really do. and I agree with your opinion. My point is just roll with it. In doing so we can expose the truth. The truth being that cheap buying practices are not what a gun owner should be focused on. Especially with a 1911.

I have been up and down this path so many times with friends and people in general buying into the sub $600 1911 thing.
    If that is your budget and you lack patience to save up a bit longer then look in the used market. Right now we are seeing some stellar deals out there

100%! And yes, the used firearm market in general is insanity... if you are a buyer and hand some spending power you can pick up some amazing deals right now (besides the AK market-that has gone the other way and is insane at the moment)...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Since we're all speaking in 3rd person here, Bob Dole (aka DECD) thinks a nice Ruger or a Remmy either one would be fine. But Bob Dole doesn't discount the Filipino pistols. They seem to be making large strides in quality and fit n finish.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    The truth being that cheap buying practices are not what a gun owner should be focused on.

What!?!How could the great church mouse get this one sooooo wrong. Congratulations
    You, Are in error, Sir.

I would say cheap buying should never be far from the discerning gun buyers mind. After all, when it comes to making waves in the gun world, economic market forces are second only to tragedy induced panic. And some would say the two are one in the same. (But that's for another thread.)

I would argue that "Cheap building practices"
    are what the gun buyers should focus on.
    Everyone has been making suggestions based on buying the best gun for the money. With an emphasis on the build quality regardless of the original MSRP.

To the OP, if you want a cheap 1911, by all means please buy one, but if you want the most bang for your buck I would say your thread title needs changed.

Let's say
    "What used 1911 should I buy if I only get $600 bucks to spend

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The best 1911 under $600 will be used/pre-owned.

This here is the best way into a sub-$600 1911. You should be able to find a decent Springer or other 1911 that you can run hard and then get every dollar back out of if the mood takes you in a different direction.

Top Bottom