• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On my CZ Shadow 2 there is a short rail under the slide.
    See pics below (sorry pics are so big).
    What is the simplest way to put an optic on?
    A laser under the slide the way to go?
    I know I'm keeping the CZ Shadow 2 for long-term, and my eyes are compromised.
    I have been having fun with optics on a couple of my semi-automatic .22LR pistols and on 4 different .22LR rifles.
    I thought I'd apply that to the CZ Shadow since I only see a red blur of the front sight when I shoot.
    I have to use the "Force" in Star Wars to shoot at a target since I can't see the front sights or the target well, but I am not strong in the Force. :rofl:
    Recommendations?
    The scopes I've used have been around $100 (Nikon & Hawke) & the red dot about the same, a Bushnell TRS-25 (had something different on a Victory that I sold).
    I say that so your recommendations will be commensurate with what I'll spend.
    There could even be something in our Classifieds if I knew what to look for.
    I don't want to remove the rear sights and go whole-hog into this, but gently: baby steps.
    Perhaps I'm fooling myself and a simple laser is not the way to go?

n6r1S2p.jpg
    8bfW5CW.jpg

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Do you have good glasses. If not I would start there. I use these and they helped me significantly.

https://huntershdgold.com/

Next try swapping out to green or yellow on the front sight. See if one color works better for you.

I have two pistols with red dots, one Trijicon RMR and the other with a Leupold Deltapoint. I prefer the RMR.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The only choice for an optic on a Shadow 2 that I'm aware of is to have the slide milled to except any of the small pistol red dots like the Vortex Venom or Trijicon RMR. Be prepared to spend $600+ on the slide cut, refinishing the slide and an optic.

I don't think you will find a laser to be much good for target shooting at distances over a few yards for a few reasons. One, you need to be able to see the target and laser dot very clearly, two, the dot is is not bright enough to be seen easily at distance in bright lighting conditions and three, the typical black target does not reflect much of the laser light back (a green laser and lighter colored targets may help with this.)

I have laser/lights on two of my home defense pistols intended to be of some help up close in dim lighting.

On the other hand, here is a target shot while sighting in one of the lasers at 7yds using the laser only (15 rounds fired).

IiRFJBN.jpg

You best bet is to sell me your Shadow 2 at a steep discount and buy an optics ready pistol.:D

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    If you want something to mount on the rail a laser is what you're looking for. Optic would be very difficult to see mounted on the rail. :) Crimson trace CMR 201 might suit you but they run a little over a C note for a new one.
    I had one of these for a while and it worked very well and knowing you're frugal I think you might like this better:):
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2198326832

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know if this will fit on the Shadow2, but there were some google images of it on a SP-01. Inexpensive and easy to install and remove.

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/cate...ons/id-218/universal-handgun-scope-mount.html

Iv'e always said that for me function trumps form every time. I guess I'm not as ingrained in that attitude as I thought. I just couldn't put something like that on one of my pistols.

Unless it was just temporary to confirm that I wanted a RDS before I had the slide milled.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On my CZ Shadow 2 there is a short rail under the slide.
    See pics below (sorry pics are so big).
    What is the simplest way to put an optic on?
    A laser under the slide the way to go?
    I know I'm keeping the CZ Shadow 2 for long-term, and my eyes are compromised.
    I have been having fun with optics on a couple of my semi-automatic .22LR pistols and on 4 different .22LR rifles.
    I thought I'd apply that to the CZ Shadow since I only see a red blur of the front sight when I shoot.
    I have to use the "Force" in Star Wars to shoot at a target since I can't see the front sights or the target well, but I am not strong in the Force. :rofl:
    Recommendations?
    The scopes I've used have been around $100 (Nikon & Hawke) & the red dot about the same, a Bushnell TRS-25 (had something different on a Victory that I sold).
    I say that so your recommendations will be commensurate with what I'll spend.
    There could even be something in our Classifieds if I knew what to look for.
    I don't want to remove the rear sights and go whole-hog into this, but gently: baby steps.
    Perhaps I'm fooling myself and a simple laser is not the way to go?

I'm not quite where you are yet, but I'm heading there. My first step is to shoot my Ruger MKII with my Venom and see how much I really like it and continue to work on getting the iron sights on my 9 mm to provide adequate abilities. If I see overwhelmingly better performance and more fun with the RDS .22, I'll take the plunge and have a my M&P slide milled and put a RDS on it and carry on.

I have invested over two years into getting my vision squared away and now I can see the front sight "pretty sharp" but I still struggle with cross dominance and blurry targets. I figure with time and practice I'll be okay. If not, I have options as you have.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Iv'e always said that for me function trumps form every time. I guess I'm not as ingrained in that attitude as I thought. I just couldn't put something like that on one of my pistols.

Unless it was just temporary to confirm that I wanted a RDS before I had the slide milled.
    Kinda my thoughts also. I can't see doddg having the slide milled and installing an RMR.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Everything gmcttr said.

Your options are really:

Mill the slide - get an rmr or similar.

Sell the gun and get something OR ready.

Try Tdoggs suggested setup. That might show you if you want an optic at all.

A rail mount laser has pretty dramatic limitations. Don’t think you’d find that worthwhile.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Do you have good glasses. If not I would start there. I use these and they helped me significantly.
    Next try swapping out to green or yellow on the front sight. See if one color works better for you.
    I have two pistols with red dots, one Trijicon RMR and the other with a Leupold Deltapoint. I prefer the RMR.

I wear trifocals so any glasses I wear would have to be the type that fit over regular glasses (it's what I use in my roadster).
    I just got through buying a red fiber optic to replace the green one that came on it b/c I couldn't see well with it.
    I had read :coffee: where green is suppose to show up better with the eyes, but didn't work with mine. :scratch:
    Dan Wesson Fiber Optic Sight Red
    Fiber optic front sight, sight body is solid steel construction, with a design that maximizes the light collection area, yet protects the fiber optic...
    $25.00
    I bought this to help with my front sights so I could see something blurry at least:

W3BgZ2K.jpg

The only choice for an optic on a Shadow 2 that I'm aware of is to have the slide milled to except any of the small pistol red dots like the Vortex Venom or Trijicon RMR. Be prepared to spend $600+ on the slide cut, refinishing the slide and an optic.

I laughed when I read that, my friend! :ingo:
    Always good to hear from the 1st person in INGO that I ever met to shoot with (my 1911 days, and you had 3 magnificent examples you let me shoot! :thumbsup:).
    You know the real me better than most, and know that I'll spend money when I choose to, after all, you are the bad example who led me to buy a CZ Shadow 2 when I was perfectly happy with the CZ Tactical that I had. :dunno:
    Well, I was happy until I shot your Shadow 2. :laugh:
    But, I'm not spending $600 on an optic: my man-card is not up-to-date enough for something like that. :nono:
    Before I did that, I'd sell my Shadow 2 with the ugly Urban Grey and buy yours (black w/blue handles) at a discounted price (you started it :ugh:), and start all over.
    I should have bought T-Doggs when I had the chance months ago, but again, my man-card issue. :lmfao:

I don't think you will find a laser to be much good for target shooting at distances over a few yards for a few reasons. One, you need to be able to see the target and laser dot very clearly, two, the dot is is not bright enough to be seen easily at distance in bright lighting conditions and three, the typical black target does not reflect much of the laser light back (a green laser and lighter colored targets may help with this.)

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I usually just shoot indoors at either 17 yds. or 25 yds, if that makes a difference.
    But, if I ever get around to shooting in the Friday night Steel matches, I would need something, or I would just use my Bushnell red dot on my Smith 41.

I have laser/lights on two of my home defense pistols intended to be of some help up close in dim lighting.
    On the other hand, here is a target shot while sighting in one of the lasers at 7yds using the laser only (15 rounds fired).

Well, that pic certainly doesn't discourage me from getting a laser. :wow:

IiRFJBN.jpg

You best bet is to sell me your Shadow 2 at a steep discount and buy an optics ready pistol.:D

Like, you are not satisfied with a beautiful blue on black Shadow 2, you want an ugly Urban Grey as well? :laugh:
    It's not even grey, but an ugly beige! :wallbash:
    You are politically correct: an equal opportunity gun buyer!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Everything gmcttr said.

Your options are really:

Mill the slide - get an rmr or similar.

Sell the gun and get something OR ready.

Try Tdoggs suggested setup. That might show you if you want an optic at all.

A rail mount laser has pretty dramatic limitations. Don’t think you’d find that worthwhile.

Nice summary! :thumbsup:
    I will address each person's input and check out their suggested offerings.

The response to my query exemplifies the best of INGO.
    I cannot tell you how appreciative I am (but you know I will try :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:) . :rofl:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if this will fit on the Shadow2, but there were some google images of it on a SP-01. Inexpensive and easy to install and remove.
    https://www.fab-defense.com/en/cate...ons/id-218/universal-handgun-scope-mount.html

I have seen those and it did give me pause, since it seemed so radical.
    Only about $60 for the bracket, then $100 to get another Bushnell 25 red dot.
    It/s the only one I've had experience with and seems fine in my inexperience and I realize that could be my ignorance speaking. :dunno:

My first reaction also.

I'm not quite where you are yet, but I'm heading there. My first step is to shoot my Ruger MKII with my Venom and see how much I really like it and continue to work on getting the iron sights on my 9 mm to provide adequate abilities. If I see overwhelmingly better performance and more fun with the RDS .22, I'll take the plunge and have a my M&P slide milled and put a RDS on it and carry on.

Keep us informed of your journey. :coffee:

I have invested over two years into getting my vision squared away and now I can see the front sight "pretty sharp" but I still struggle with cross dominance and blurry targets. I figure with time and practice I'll be okay. If not, I have options as you have.

Finding out how to get a scope on a rifle to work for me was a journey, but I had help from a member who has much experience and has saved me much time and mistakes.
    I now really enjoy rifles, and I had written them off after buying my 1st Henry a couple of years ago, just to find out I couldn't see the front sight, and the target.
    Imagine my delight when I discovered by using a high rail, really high rings (cantilever), and bring the scope back inches closer to my eye by reversing the direction of the cantilever style rings: I CAN SEE!!! :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you want something to mount on the rail a laser is what you're looking for. Optic would be very difficult to see mounted on the rail. :) Crimson trace CMR 201 might suit you but they run a little over a C note for a new one.
    I had one of these for a while and it worked very well and knowing you're frugal I think you might like this better:):
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2198326832

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

I saw this in looking it up:
    CMR-201 Rail Master® Universal Laser Sight - Crimson Trace
    Rating: 4.2 - ‎83 reviews - ‎$139.00 - ‎In stock
    The CMR-201 Rail Master® is a powerful and versatile laser sight designed to fit rail-equipped pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    The Rail Master locks onto Picatinny M1913 or Weaver-style accessory rails with Crimson Trace's Secure-Lock Technology™.
    Once locked on, it will not move under recoil or handling.
    Laser Battery Life‎: ‎Over Four Hours
    Laser Output‎: ‎5mW Red Laser
    Laser Visibility‎: ‎Approx.5 Inch Diameter at 50 Feet
    Sighting‎: ‎Factory Sighted at 50'

Does the 5" diameter at 50 feet mean that it would cover up 5 inches of the target you are shooting at? :(
    Seems excessive and counter to accuracy.
    I didn't buy a red dot the other day for another gun b/c at distance (50ish yds), it was too big of a dot on the smallest setting.
    Perhaps you have to buy one of those $300 lasers to do better. :dunno:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I saw this in looking it up:
    CMR-201 Rail Master® Universal Laser Sight - Crimson Trace
    Rating: 4.2 - ‎83 reviews - ‎$139.00 - ‎In stock
    The CMR-201 Rail Master® is a powerful and versatile laser sight designed to fit rail-equipped pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    The Rail Master locks onto Picatinny M1913 or Weaver-style accessory rails with Crimson Trace's Secure-Lock Technology™.
    Once locked on, it will not move under recoil or handling.
    Laser Battery Life‎: ‎Over Four Hours
    Laser Output‎: ‎5mW Red Laser
    Laser Visibility‎: ‎Approx.5 Inch Diameter at 50 Feet
    Sighting‎: ‎Factory Sighted at 50'

Does the 5" diameter at 50 feet mean that it would cover up 5 inches of the target you are shooting at? :(
    Seems excessive and counter to accuracy.
    I didn't buy a red dot the other day for another gun b/c at distance (50ish yds), it was too big of a dot on the smallest setting.
    Perhaps you have to buy one of those $300 lasers to do better. :dunno:

Lasers aren’t meant for tight groupings.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Laser Visibility‎: ‎Approx.5 Inch Diameter at 50 Feet...

Does the 5" diameter at 50 feet mean that it would cover up 5 inches of the target you are shooting at? :(...

Rather than 5"@50', I think you will find it is more like 0.5"@50'.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    He had said he didn't want to remove the rear sight.

I know but it may save him several hundred dollars if he did. Also rear sight, front sight and the dot have different focal points. I can't imagine that being optimal with tri-focals. I wear multi-focal contacts and I have not found a lens that works with irons and dots equally well.:(

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Lasers aren’t meant for tight groupings.

I will beg to differ with this assertion. Lasers can help create incredibly tight groupings. That being said, some of the drawbacks have already been presented.

Difficult to find a holster for a gun equipped with a rail mounted laser.
    Lasers require practice using and more than a little lack of self-consciousness when everyone on the firing-line can see you shake and jerk the trigger. Everybody does it, but it isn't always so obvious for everyone to see.
    The distance a laser is dialed in for is the only one where it is accurate. Everything else requires a "windage" adjustment.
    Batteries are a PITA to deal with.

There are several positive things about lasers, but they are debatable enough that it becomes one of those things where your opinion and priorities should lead you.

I enjoy playing around with lasers, I don't know that I would trust my life to the cheaper ones to be functional when I need it to be.

Crimson trace is what I have settled on for good stuff. I believe they recently acquired Laser Max.

Top Bottom