• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    9mm STI 4.0 of 2014 Vintage. After about 200 rounds at range it starts not going into battery fully? Have to bump slide to get round to fully seat and fire. Once cleaned its fine again for about 200 rounds. Spring Issue

Thanks

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Possibly recoil spring but getting that dirty is 200 is odd.

What are you running ammo wise....serious question.

I usually start out with 20 rounds of Remington Green and white box jhp. Then about 50 rounds of Federal bulk 10 pack 9mm, Then 2 3 boxes of Perfecta 9mm fmj. I may be wrong in my assessment of dirt just seemed like the most likely thing? After thinking about it I know my STI does not like to be run dry Wonder if greasing the rails might be better?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I usually start out with 2 rounds of Remington Green and white box jhp. Then about 50 rounds of Federal bulk 10 pack 9mm, Then 2 3 boxes of Perfecta 9mm fmj. I may be wrong in my assessment of dirt just seemed like the most likely thing? After thinking about it I know my STI does not like to be run dry Wonder if greasing the rails might be better?

Okay, knowing it is a 9mm changes things a bit as those can be very sensitive to spring weight and ammo combinations, does it work fine with hotter ammo but balk with the cheap target stuff? Single stack or double stack?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I usually start out with 2 rounds of Remington Green and white box jhp. Then about 50 rounds of Federal bulk 10 pack 9mm, Then 2 3 boxes of Perfecta 9mm fmj. I may be wrong in my assessment of dirt just seemed like the most likely thing? After thinking about it I know my STI does not like to be run dry Wonder if greasing the rails might be better?

Well, to stay inside the rules you need a Gibs smack. I "NEVER"...…"EVER" run any of mine dry. You are not in a desert environment worried about sand. Use a good lite lube of my own concoction on the rails and at least Hoppes gun oil on all other metal to metal parts.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Okay, knowing it is a 9mm changes things a bit as those can be very sensitive to spring weight and ammo combinations, does it work fine with hotter ammo but balk with the cheap target stuff? Single stack or double stack?

I corrected the round count for Remington Green and white box meant to say 20 rounds not 2. its a single stack STI Lawman 4.0 Last night I started out with the Perfecta as I just replaced my Carry rounds last week. It really seems to feed and fire most anything initially ie Federal Aluminum case, Perfecta Brass, and WWB with out issue it seems to act up around the 200 to 300 round count.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well, to stay inside the rules you need a Gibs smack. I "NEVER"...…"EVER" run any of mine dry. You are not in a desert environment worried about sand. Use a good lite lube of my own concoction on the rails and at least Hoppes gun oil on all other metal to metal parts.

I'm not sure if he said he runs it dry just that maybe grease would be better?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yes, grease the slides....
    Get a bottle of oil that has the long needle thing, Lucas oil makes some. After 100 rounds, lock the slide back and squirt a little oil on the rails as much as you can reach, put some on the barrel. Then let the slide come forward almost all the way and put a drop on the barrel hood. If you still have problems, I would move to the spring next.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

OH No I Never run it Dry. I apply the oil so that it will seep out, after sitting a while. That is why I kind of thought grease on the rails might be better if grease was applied versus light oil?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brownell"s or Midway item? Brand or specs you would recommend?

Thanks

There are a dozen good options available. Many on here love their favorites for different reasons. And to a point they most all work.
    I have several offering on the shelf over the gun bench. But I always go back to what has worked for me. Permatex red engine assembly lube mixed with a good gun oil. This goes on the slide to frame contact points. I use it in my AR's on the BCG contact points as well.

This is in no way pushing a product. It is something I have used ever since discovering the assembly lube long ago. It is slick as snot but a bit heavy for use in a gun. cutting it down with the oil makes it...….in the words of baby bear....."Just right"...:):

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    There are a dozen good options available. Many on here love their favorites for different reasons. And to a point they most all work.
    I have several offering on the shelf over the gun bench. But I always go back to what has worked for me. Permatex red engine assembly lube mixed with a good gun oil. This goes on the slide to frame contact points. I use it in my AR's on the BCG contact points as well.

This is in no way pushing a product. It is something I have used ever since discovering the assembly lube long ago. It is slick as snot but a bit heavy for use in a gun. cutting it down with the oil makes it...….in the words of baby bear....."Just right"...:):

Thank you, will give this a try before forking out $100 for the recoil spring.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When it gets sticky take a cartridge and cover the next bullet with magic marker. Chamber the round and if it doesn't go into battery tap it like you have been and then eject the cartridge. Look for areas where the magic marker has bee scraped off by the barrel lands. Some types of bullets are good for OAL of a cartridge but are broad up front and come into contact with the lands. I've seen this more with 9mm than anything else.

Top Bottom