• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Alright, in reference to the topics title, I know the correct answer would have been to pick up one of the Italian police Beretta 92's that were everywhere 6 months ago, but I did the stupid thing and passed on them.

Other correct answer would be to just go find a used 92FS.

However, hypothetically if I were too stupid to pass up a $300 92S, and were too stubborn to seek out a $450 92FS, what would be your preferred Beretta clone/alternative? (I know, alternative must be a SA/DA duty size handgun...no Goldilocks Flock 19.. pun intended)

In all honesty, while I've shot the 92 and enjoyed it, I'm not fully filled in on differences between variants/clones/licensed copies, so this is more of a call for opinions crossed with information on why you prefer certain makes/models.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We looked at several clones, for the wife, including the Chiappa, the Taurus, and one other, but ended up going with a slightly used (couldn't
    actually tell if it was used or not) standard black, 92SF, which has turned out to be a fantastic shooter...$375 OTD.
    I ended up picking up one of the Beretta .22lr conversion kits (aluminum slide + barrel + magazine) and it's a hoot-2-shoot with that set-up!
    A friend of ours has the Taurus clone...not sure it it's the pistol or the shooter but the 92FS outshoots it!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had a PT99 for years and never had the first issue.
    Shoots where I aim it, eats everything I feed it, and it's as accurate as any of my other handguns.

I know there are many who believe Taurus are junk, and that't their opinion.
    Mine is that I got a shooter.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've had a PT99 for years and never had the first issue.
    Shoots where I aim it, eats everything I feed it, and it's as accurate as any of my other handguns.

I know there are many who believe Taurus are junk, and that't their opinion.
    Mine is that I got a shooter.

The PT99 has been widely regarded as one of their best-ever offerings. AND the put the safety where it belongs!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Is $100 or $200 that much over the course of time you'll have the firearm?

Pass up starbucks for a month or 2, and have the real deal.

The beretta 92 is what I'd consider, the most pistol you can get for the money of anything on the market, and I've owned about everything at this point. The fact they can get the price point down around $500 absolutely astonishes me.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Personally, I'd get a Taurus for the properly placed safety. Word is they're made on equipment set up and formerly licensed by Beretta. I don't have either so take that for all you paid for it lol

I know it's not the specific gun you are looking at but similar situation: I have a Chiappa MC14 (Now imported by Zenith but both are made in the Girsan machine shop in Turkey) which is the closed slide version of an 84FS (which I've also had), while it's not bad, you can definitely tell that it's a clone. The 84 we had never had feed issues, the MC14 does occasionally. They both have nice triggers, the Girsan might even be lighter, but if you squeeze it slowly enough, it'll catch on the safety notch at 1/2 cock. Keep going and it still goes boom but it shouldn't happen. Also, the beavertail's just slightly enough shorter to let the hammer bite. Also, it's a safety only, not a safety/decocker like on the 84. It's a well made gun on it's own but side by side you can tell the 84's steel and the MC14's mystery metal.

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    I've used the EAA Clone for a while now. I have put about 500 rounds through it and have been satisfied for the price. 300$ is a decent bargain in my opinion plus easy to clean and easy to use.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The taurus 92 is originally the original design and materials as the beretta except made in Brazil. And time went on and machines broke and replaced... design changed slightly. Also materials have changed slightly over time.. essentially the newer it is, the further from being identical to a beretta it is..

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I would keep looking for a used Beretta. I got my 92F (not FS) for $275. I have used it to shoot competition. I installed the Beretta "G" conversion kit that makes the safety a decocker only. I find this setup far superior to the normal hammer drop safety.

When I go to the range, it always goes because it is so fun to shoot. It is very accurate and has always been reliable for me. That is even after I threw up the entire Wilson Combat catalog in it and replaced the grips with super slim Aluma Grips.

1yrwQ34.jpg

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The PT92 is the best semi auto Taurus makes, and about the only one I think is decent. It's got a better safety position and features than the Beretta 92. The Girsan is out automatically due to there trash finger grooves.

Top Bottom