• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As per my "trimming plan," I've sold off most of my semi-auto .22LR pistols and revolvers at this point.
    I was down to only 1 revolver, the Dan Wesson 8" barrel, 54 oz. that I bought off a member here.
    I "accidentally" picked up a 1962 Hi-Standard revolver :dunno: that I really enjoy b/c it was so different from the DW.
    Next I was "forced" by another member to buy a Ruger SP101 :whistle:unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago, and it reminds me of the Hi-Standard, but with rear adjustable sights, so I will sell the Hi-Standard when I get around to it.

The top two contenders for winning my "accuracy award" was the two semi-autos that I bought off a member here: S/W 41 & a Ruger Mark 3 with a Volquartsen barrel & trigger work, of which I'd like to add some grips to it sometime. In fact, I need to refurbish or replace the ones on the Smith 41 to suit me.
    I intend to sell one of them eventually, but they are different enough that I enjoy each, so no hurry there.
    I think the Mark 3 with the Volquartsen barrel might have the edge in accuracy but I could be the X-factor there. It will be fun finding out
    Opportunity knocked and again I was prodded into picking up a little Beretta Bobcat :), since I enjoy the challenge of shooting a micro accurately.

Range pic below, all rounds were shot w/o a rest.
    The Hi-Standard (top at 21' & 30') has a mean D/A trigger pull which makes staying on target a challenge (must a 30# pull, really!).
    S/A is great, but the sights are fixed, so it isn't going to be too accurate in with my eyes: it's days are numbered.
    At 30" the DW does great in S/A (left of middle target where I drew the green "X" & the D/A (middle target) is sweet, but I'll have to learn to shoot it in D/A.
    I just love pinking with the diminutive Bobcat, no matter what the distance (21' on left bottom & 15' on right), it seems like a bonus to get any rounds actually in the red. :lmfao:
    I painted the sights but still can't hardly see. :ugh:
    I'll take it out to 30' next time to see if I can hit the circle at all.
    wBVoN0v.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The top two contenders for winning my "accuracy award" was the two semi-autos that I bought off a member here: S/W 41 & a Ruger Mark 3 with a Volquartsen barrel & trigger work, of which I'd like to add some grips to it sometime. In fact, I need to refurbish or replace the ones on the Smith 41 to suit me.
    I intend to sell one of them eventually, but they are different enough that I enjoy each, so no hurry there.
    I think the Mark 3 with the Volquartsen barrel might have the edge in accuracy but I could be the X-factor there. It will be fun finding out

The Volquartsen would probably be tough to beat although it might take a Ransom Rest or very solid rest with scope to find out for sure. Don't give up on the 41 too soon. I finally scoped my 41 for the first time in many years for some accuracy testing at 25 and 50 yards. At 50 yards the 2X even with the fine plex is really not the best scope for fine accuracy but still a lot better than open sights. I may take the Burris 2X-7X off the Charger for a while and see what the 41 can do at 7X.
    View attachment 81807

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Volquartsen would probably be tough to beat although it might take a Ransom Rest or very solid rest with scope to find out for sure. Don't give up on the 41 too soon. I finally scoped my 41 for the first time in many years for some accuracy testing at 25 and 50 yards. At 50 yards the 2X even with the fine plex is really not the best scope for fine accuracy but still a lot better than open sights. I may take the Burris 2X-7X off the Charger for a while and see what the 41 can do at 7X.
    View attachment 81807

I hear you!
    The heavier fit-in-the-hand is great with the 41: love it.
    Hope to keep it along with the Ruger Mark Volquartsen that a member "created."
    If I would have had it first I wouldn't have bought the Smith, but the 41 was on my "bucket" list.
    Thanks for sharing the range pics, I love it when people do that (especially when they mention the ammo they used).
    I've never shot either of mine at those distances: :wow:
    Since I've put optics on my two, I haven't really shot them too much b/c I got involved with some rifles w/scopes.
    I am always amazed and appreciate seeing what others can do with their setups.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A sandbag rest was used on all targets today.
    I love this Dan Wesson 8" barrel, 54 oz. monster. :rockwoot:
    The D/A is just divinely smooth. :)
    The right bottom target is supposed to be labelled "D/A," like the top right, not S/A, like the top left, bottom left and the middle targets.
    I'm pleased with the middle 30', which is the last target I shot. :draw:
    I can't see well with the green fiber optic front site, and ordered a red fiber optic front site which I received but haven't installed yet.
    e05W6yx.jpg

Upper left target is supposed to be labelled S/A, like the bottom left target, not D/A which is on the right upper & lower targets.
    I am stunned that the 1952 Hi-Standard with its unbelievable tough D/A trigger pull shoots more accurately than the S/A: it has done it before and I assumed it was a fluke.
    Just testing these two guns out to see which one to keep. The SP100 has rear adjustable sights and has that in its favor.
    But, after shooting the Dan Wesson, I think I'll sell both of them b/c the only thing I don't like about the DW is that it is only a 6 round cylinder.
    The Dan Wesson .22LR to me is like the CZ Shadow is to me. I sold all of my other 9mm range guns for the Shadow 2, and had done the same with my revolvers as well, ending up with only the DW, till my eye strayed. :dunno:
    I'm sure I'll buy the occasional .22LR & 9mm to play with, but after 2.5 yrs. and having dozens of each, I like what I have now.
    oVeAIsC.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'm pleased with the middle 30', which is the last target I shot. :draw:
    I can't see well with the green fiber optic front site, and ordered a red fiber optic front site which I received but haven't installed yet.

That center target is a good group. Hopefully that red fiber optic will help you to see better - at 57 I know how that goes! Yeah that Dan Wesson would be a keeper to me. Very rare and very accurate. The "last gun" I am looking for to complete my .22 collection is a earlier model Smith 617. I have a Taurus 96 .22lr but have run into difficulties trying to install a scope base. Smith started to factory drill and tap the 617 frames for optics sometime in the 1990s.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That center target is a good group. Hopefully that red fiber optic will help you to see better - at 57 I know how that goes! Yeah that Dan Wesson would be a keeper to me. Very rare and very accurate. The "last gun" I am looking for to complete my .22 collection is a earlier model Smith 617. I have a Taurus 96 .22lr but have run into difficulties trying to install a scope base. Smith started to factory drill and tap the 617 frames for optics sometime in the 1990s.

Me too! If red doesn't work I'll paint it white to see if that works better. :dunno:
    The Smith 617 was on my list 2+ yrs. ago to buy new but I would have had to order it for $670 (at the time), so I bought the Ruger GP100 I was holding in my hand.
    I did shoot the 617 at the range rental and was not impressed over my other heavy .22LR revolvers.
    I had a Taurus 990 that was even a better shooter than the Ruger GP100, but it was only a 4" barrel.
    I wanted to buy a 6" from a member here but he lived 3 hrs. away.
    The Dan Wesson shoots better than any of them.
    I hear good things about the M17.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I did shoot the 617 at the range rental and was not impressed over my other heavy .22LR revolvers

I have fired some very early 1990s production 617s that shot very accurately and still have a article where a 4" and 6" were fired from a Ransom Rest and the 6" in particular turned in a very impressive target.
    View attachment 81838
    I did briefly own a late 1990s 617 and will have to agree with your comment about the one you shot - was not very impressed.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I picked up a fun new 22 that I'm betting you would love. Stock full forward and naturally upright shooting position would be easy on your neck. And they are made locally, up in Fort Wayne.

20191202130411.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have fired some very early 1990s production 617s that shot very accurately and still have a article where a 4" and 6" were fired from a Ransom Rest and the 6" in particular turned in a very impressive target.
    View attachment 81838
    I did briefly own a late 1990s 617 and will have to agree with your comment about the one you shot - was not very impressed.

I have a -1 model 4" and I'd put it up against most any other .22 pistol or revolver. I have sat in tree stands and picked off squirrels at some pretty good distances. Shot birds with it too. We ate the squirrels, not the birds.:)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a fun new 22 that I'm betting you would love. Stock full forward and naturally upright shooting position would be easy on your neck. And they are made locally, up in Fort Wayne.

20191202130411.jpg

I appreciate you thinking of me! :thumbsup:
    Always on the lookout for a .22LR rifle that would have a scope high enough above the stock that my head/eye would line up with the scope more naturally w/o bending my neck down and to the right, and forward.
    The stock is lined up straight along the barrel height, so it seems it would be even more difficult to lower my eye down to the scope since the butt of the stock is so high, relative to the line of the barrel.
    On the other rifles I've had I get high cantilever rings set on a high rail to lift the scope up to my eye level without neck contortions :) and then bring the scope back toward me on the rails with the cantilever rings.
    You do h ave me curious though, What is it and how much was it?
    Pm me if you don't want everyone to know what you paid.
    Tippman? Tippmann Arms M4-22
    39a261c3-8fb0-4dd3-a87e-986ac7ee3055.jpg
    d1087bea-1102-424c-860f-a12daa3f5e9a.jpg

I turned the cantilever rings around to bring the scope back toward my eye/head more than shows in this pic.
    oOZfnM2.png

On this rifle the stock was angled down which really helped, but I discovered I didn't like using a lever action.
    EkbA9zH.jpg

My first rifle, where I learned to buy a higher rail and use cantilever rings turned around so I could bring the scope back toward my eye/head.
    qBoNln0.jpg
    v48AuOR.jpg

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It's the m422 elite. They hang out around 500. With a 50 dollar rebate it was nearly as cheap as a Smith and Wesson 1522. So far this is the best ar 22 I've gotten my hands on.

The cantilever mounted you use are meant for ar's. They generally have a high over bore optic. I promise we will get together and shoot and I'll bring it out. Maybe give the indoor range in Columbus an afternoon during my time off around Christmas.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've seen the SW 15-22 on sale alot lately for over $300 with a red dot on it new.
    Someone said it shot better than a SW 15-22, but not an RPR, but apparently that hasn't been your experience.
    I have been tempted to try out the SW 15-22, but someone who knows me said I'd like the RPR better, plus I wanted a bolt action in addition to my 10/22 at the time anyway.

I was told by the person who sold me the cantilever rings that they were for the ARs.
    Appreciate the invite to get together, but around Xmas time I'll be in Nashville, TN.
    Since I'm retired, though, it will happen, since I am at my leisure.

It's the m422 elite. They hang out around 500. With a 50 dollar rebate it was nearly as cheap as a Smith and Wesson 1522. So far this is the best ar 22 I've gotten my hands on.

The cantilever mounted you use are meant for ar's. They generally have a high over bore optic. I promise we will get together and shoot and I'll bring it out. Maybe give the indoor range in Columbus an afternoon during my time off around Christmas.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Well that's a bummer. Any plans to investigate any other sites or is HHRP going to be only the Gnawbone range?

Looking like the Gnaw Bone range only.

The building was leased from the city and the new contract would have required HHRP to be responsible for all lead cleanup if the contract was terminated AND it gave the city the right to terminate the contract at any time and for no reason. Only a fool would have signed that.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Looking like the Gnaw Bone range only.

The building was leased from the city and the new contract would have required HHRP to be responsible for all lead cleanup if the contract was terminated AND it gave the city the right to terminate the contract at any time and for no reason. Only a fool would have signed that.

Oof I didn't know that. What a shame it was packed on youth nights

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    The hk 416d is my favorite 22 rifle at the moment. I don’t do any super long range stuff so the ruger precision rimfire was a little overkill for me. Looks like an Ar. Can mount any optic you want. I’ve had a Romeo 7 and a couple of cheap red dots on it. All of them worked fine shootinf 50 yards max. Not a single malfunction yet regardless of ammo type.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The hk 416d is my favorite 22 rifle at the moment. I don’t do any super long range stuff so the ruger precision rimfire was a little overkill for me. Looks like an Ar. Can mount any optic you want. I’ve had a Romeo 7 and a couple of cheap red dots on it. All of them worked fine shootinf 50 yards max. Not a single malfunction yet regardless of ammo type.

I have had a chance a couple of times to buy that particular rifle and wondered about it.
    The first time, a guy bought it and put it in the safe so I was afraid to buy an invited one that had not been used.
    it has come back to bite me on pistols, revolvers and rifles.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    It has been perfect for me. Kinda keeps the Ar bug away since I don’t like shooting them as much or buying the ammo. Same look and is an absolute tac driver. You’re more than welcome to check it out. I know we’re not too far apart

I have had a chance a couple of times to buy that particular rifle and wondered about it.
    The first time, a guy bought it and put it in the safe so I was afraid to buy an invited one that had not been used.
    it has come back to bite me on pistols, revolvers and rifles.

Top Bottom