Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Man that is old when the original grips shrink.
    Old synthetics like gutta percha have all sorts of problems, when you get good original Colt grips that are 100+ years old they are things to be cherished. The best thing to do is find something period, a material like bone, ivory, antler etc and replace them. I only keep plastic replacements on an old gun until I find something else.

The great Colt 1911A1 had a grip problem in the 50s with what are known to collectors as the "incredible shrinking grips", they literal shrank around the screws. Plastic has come a long way since then.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Bought some period stag grips for one of the Bisleys today. It's original grips are shrunken and badly worn.
    A gun (and the owner) are often judged by the quality of the grips !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
    A gun (and the owner) are often judged by the quality of the grips !
    I've got a New Service coming in with what are supposed to be mastodon ivory on them, but I suspect they are regular ivory. I can't tell the difference, but the grips are 100+ years old and I don't know if they were selling and using that type of ivory back then.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

I've got a New Service coming in with what are supposed to be mastodon ivory on them, but I suspect they are regular ivory. I can't tell the difference, but the grips are 100+ years old and I don't know if they were selling and using that type of ivory back then.
    Wow ..... I wouldn't know either, but they sure sound cool !

User Info Menu

I've been asking around but can't find out when mastodon ivory gets started. It's an item now because of the laws, but in 1914 there were no regulations on ivory.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

I've been asking around but can't find out when mastodon ivory gets started. It's an item now because of the laws, but in 1914 there were no regulations on ivory.
    I got'cha. All that I know is the current supply seems to be mainly coming from Siberia.

User Info Menu

I'm following the history, Colt sold the revolver to Kimball Upsom in Sacramento without grips. These may have been made there for it, there is a worn inlaid 5 point star in the ivory which looks like the star used by US marshals of the Alaskan Territory at that time, it just recently having been designated a territory in 1912.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Man that is old when the original grips shrink.
    Lots of things shrink when they get old.
    88 (aka 88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

I'm following the history, Colt sold the revolver to Kimball Upsom in Sacramento without grips. These may have been made there for it, there is a worn inlaid 5 point star in the ivory which looks like the star used by US marshals of the Alaskan Territory at that time, it just recently having been designated a territory in 1912.
    Your knowledge and research into these wonderful old guns is a very impressive thing to see. Thank you Leadeye, for what you do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 88E30M50 View Post
    Lots of things shrink when they get old.
    Well that's just unfortunate.

Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast