• ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Good afternoon Ingo.

I have decided that my next project will be to build my first AR pistol. I need some input though. As mentioned, this will be my first AR pistol so I would like some advice on parts.
    I'm looking to stick to a budget around $800ish? I could deviate from this price a little.

I will be purchasing the lower from my local shop. I have ruled out .300 blk. Looking to stick with either 5.56 or 9mm for the sake of ammo logistics. I also am looking for something that I could build to be small enough to fit into a backpack for easy stowing and hiking.

What are some good options for upper parts? Lower parts? The best braces to purchase? Just general advice would be helpful.

I appreciate any and all input! I will provide photos of my build along the way.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do you care it it’s a “Franken-Gun” (different brand name parts) or do you want the upper and lower to match? What lower are you running? If you want the stock to fold add another $250 to your budget. Are you planning on running suppressed? AR pistols are LOUD and your wants/needs may dictate a special muzzle device. What about sights or optics? $800-ish is doable but not with all the bells and whistles.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to build an AR pistol with a similar budget and want list that you had. The backpack size plus the budget made things more difficult as the back packs I have and would want to use max out around 18”. I could have gotten there with really short barrel, which only makes sense with a 9mm to me.

The folder would make it much easier to do with a longer barrel for a rifle caliber (300BO really is perfect here) but I couldn’t find a way to make it fit the budget I wanted.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    800 should be very doable. My ar pistol build has 375 into it including the optic, a sig romeo5, and has been flawless for 1500 rounds so far. It's on a proverty pony lower with a lower build kit with a brace from black rifle depot. I assembled the upper myself with a blemished stripped upper, a clearance 7.5" 556 BCA barrel, yankee hill gas block, and a PSA bcg. It's about as cheap as they can be built, 265 before the romeo5, and has ran great for me. it'sjust as good as any DD there is ok maybe not but to fit in a tennis bag and toss in the van under the floor boards with a 48hr bag it is perfect in my mind and it was a fun project and is fun to shoot.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Do you care it it’s a “Franken-Gun” (different brand name parts) or do you want the upper and lower to match? What lower are you running? .

I absolutely do not mind if it is a frankengun. I will be getting a stripped lower soon. I am going to see what my local shop has to offer. I'll probably go and check them out today. For optics, I'm thinking of just running a red dot. I've seen the Romeo's can be had for between $100 and $150. As far as suppressor, I haven't given much thought to it as of yet, but maybe I should? I know that could also add a lot to the total budget.

I wanted to build an AR pistol with a similar budget and want list that you had. The backpack size plus the budget made things more difficult as the back packs I have and would want to use max out around 18”. I could have gotten there with really short barrel, which only makes sense with a 9mm to me.

The folder would make it much easier to do with a longer barrel for a rifle caliber (300BO really is perfect here) but I couldn’t find a way to make it fit the budget I wanted.

Yeah that's my current issue. Looking to do my best in my budget, without sacrificing much on quality etc. The only reason I ruled out 300BO was for ammo logistics. I have too many guns that don't eat the same ammo... But I could reconsider. What is your experience with 300BO?

For $299, you could start with something like this and build on to it over time. You’d just need a stripped lower and this would have you up and running for under $400. That leaves lots of room for optics. I’d ditch the Shockwave brace for an SB3 but the Shockwave still has it’s fans and you could end up liking it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ic-shockwave-pistol-kit-black-5165449130.html

Yes I like this option. I used PSA for one of my rifle builds and have nothing bad to say about it. I agree, I'm not looking to keep a shockwave brace. I'll probably snag an SB3.

800 should be very doable. My ar pistol build has 375 into it including the optic, a sig romeo5, and has been flawless for 1500 rounds so far. It's on a proverty pony lower with a lower build kit with a brace from black rifle depot. I assembled the upper myself with a blemished stripped upper, a clearance 7.5" 556 BCA barrel, yankee hill gas block, and a PSA bcg. It's about as cheap as they can be built, 265 before the romeo5, and has ran great for me. it'sjust as good as any DD there is ok maybe not but to fit in a tennis bag and toss in the van under the floor boards with a 48hr bag it is perfect in my mind and it was a fun project and is fun to shoot.

^^ This is what I'm looking for haha. Something that I could stick in a bag and would fit decently. This build will be fun for me as well, just kind of having fun with it and not really trying to build a go to war gun, but if that end up happening then I won't complain either!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don’t have any direct experience with the 300BO. It’s a logical choice for a short barrel with a rifle caliber though, designed to burn powder quickly.

I ended up pushing the project to a back burner for now and changed gears to a different one. I’ll probably end up doing a 9x39 build at some point, just cause it’s more intriguing to me than 300BO.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Definitely check out black rifle depot for a potential place to buy parts from. They have a there own brand of parts (budget line) and also carry stuff like aero precision, toolcraft, strike industries, ect... I have always been pleased with their products including their inhouse brand. I have always thought building a budget gun to start and swapping parts out down the road if needed or wanted is a good way to go.
    * I am not paid to advertise for black rifle depot but i feel i should be because every time someone asks about building an AR on a budget i instantly suggest them.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Definitely check out black rifle depot for a potential place to buy parts from. They have a there own brand of parts (budget line) and also carry stuff like aero precision, toolcraft, strike industries, ect... I have always been pleased with their products including their inhouse brand. I have always thought building a budget gun to start and swapping parts out down the road if needed or wanted is a good way to go.
    * I am not paid to advertise for black rifle depot but i feel i should be because every time someone asks about building an AR on a budget i instantly suggest them.

Well you have convinced me at least! I will go and check them out. I'm looking at stripped lowers today, so if I purchase one today, I will update everyone!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    FM products for 9mm. PSA for a 5.56 gun. Primary arms for an optic. $800 will get you a great firearm.

Now is the time to buy!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Second for bking.

800 is a tight budget. To build a base it's doable, to put optics and a brace it will require shopping sales.

Imo 300blk and pistol calibers are the most fun. 300blk is available everywhere now and it's not super expensive. 223 can be pretty aggressive with barrels under 14.5". A suppressor or a flash can are a must. 300blk subsonic rounds provide a very similar experience to pistol calibers.

300blk will be cheapest to build out. 9mm requires a magazine well insert. Colt mags are best, the insert drops in and the gun works exactly like a regular ar15. Bolt stays open after last round, mag and bolt releases are the same. High quality magazines are 10 dollars for 10rds and 20 for 30. Glock mags run double.

9mm ar mostly operate blowback only, so there is no gas system to worry about.

9mm
    Lower - 100
    Mag insert - 100
    Barrel - 140
    Bcg - 150
    Buffer - 60
    Upper -100
    Handguard - 100
    Brace - 50 to 300
    Lpk- 70

820ish before optics. These are short average prices for ok parts not on sale.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My .300BO HD gun is PSA based. It’s got an 8.5” barrel and minus the suppressor and Eotech, I’ve got less than $600 into it.

4fe23eae80297c38e3601231efb88e35.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :popcorn:

I like my 300BLK pistol. I'd like to put together a 5.56 upper to swap on and off for versatility.

Any experiece with 10-11" name brand barrels? Linear comps? I have a KAW Valley on hand.

I'd like to go with a Midwest Industries 12 1/2" rail, but this extra pistol upper project is quickly getting quite spendy... :spend::spend::spend:

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I went full PSA for my first build, knowing that if I want to upgrade down the line, it's easy enough. Same premise of the OP- budget but functional and reliable. Figure I'm at right around $450, including the Romeo. With that said, if you take your time and shop sales, you should be able to do better than I did.
    49b85ffab2b7a1e7db94760ddf425152.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For $299, you could start with something like this and build on to it over time. You’d just need a stripped lower and this would have you up and running for under $400. That leaves lots of room for optics. I’d ditch the Shockwave brace for an SB3 but the Shockwave still has it’s fans and you could end up liking it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-classic-shockwave-pistol-kit-black-5165449130.html

I actually prefer the KAK Shockwave Brace...but everyone has their own preference and to each their own!

Top Bottom