• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I happened to be at SPB in Greenwood today for a little practice and Woody Burton the local Glock rep was there ringing out a G-44 he just received from Smyrna. He was doing his own test to see how long it would run without cleaning and I think he was getting a little tired of punching paper so he turned it over to me for a few mags to see what I thought of it. It's as advertised, a Gen 5 19 that shoots 22LR. The slide is an interesting design and the trigger assembly appears to be from a Gen 3 9mm Glock. I would liken the trigger pull to a Gen 4, very Glockish but smooth at the same time. It's a lot of fun to shoot and he said his only malfunction at that point was a round that he hit twice and just wouldn't go off. He had several brands and bullet weight ammo and I grabbed some Blazer brass bulk pack that I had in my bag and it ate it happily just like everything else he had tried. I put maybe 40 rounds through it and from his target it appeared he had shot at least 2 or 3 hundred. Of course everyone that works in the store wanted to shoot it and at least 4 or 5 other people did shoot it.
    Woody is very friendly as well as personable guy. I didn't notice him when I came in but when he saw me a couple of lanes down he came down to ask me if I was interesting in shooting the G-44 or I would have never known he was there.
    His plan was to shoot it until it quit. He said he had taken it out of the box, made sure the bore was clear and started shooting it. It disassembles exactly like any other Glock and seemed very well made. Since the top half of the slide is polymer they warned him not to change the sights because metal sight in a polymer dovetail might cause a problem. The sights are similar to the adjustable the G-34 is shipped with but appeared to be much more robust. All in all if you have a Glock I'm sure it will be the "almost perfect" trainer since we all know nothing is really perfect.
    wuYrQRd.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Excellent write up! I would like to get one, but I'll wait a while and read more reviews and let any bugs be worked out. Plus I'll probably buy one used.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In the TFB video it is said that Glock ran one G44 for 12,000 rounds both suppressed and unsuppressed without cleaning it, and then another has gone 40,000 (unsure if it got any cleaning) and is still "reliable."

Let us know how far Woody Burton gets.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    For years and debated buying a .22 kit for my G17 gen3 but after reading that can be finicky with ammo y stayed away from them, I understand my not be everybody's cup of tea but in my case it would allow me a lot more trigger time with the same trigger set up as my defensive handgun. In my opinion it would help me with trigger discipline, reset, reload practice and just more trigger time that would make me a better shooter. No doesn't have the recoil but I still think is a great training tool and if it is as reliable as they say it would be a fun blinker, for al. The heaters the G44 will sell like hotcakes just like the unwanted G19X.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'll likely pick one of these up this spring. It is just what I was hoping Glock would make, except I'd like a 15 round magazine instead of 10, but I heard larger capacity is planned, eventually.

Thanks for the quick review!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for keeping the hype going: it's fun!
    I'm not a fan of Glock, nor a hater, and I've had the 42, 43 & 26 model & almost bought a 17 and/or 19 upon occasion.
    I was surprised about Glock doing a .22LR but thought, why not, everyone else dips their finger in the pudding.
    I got to reading how Glock took 3 yrs. to do it right, unlike alot of .22LR pistol top-tier manufacturers that get Umarex to manufacture a pistol under their name.
    My respect soared, and I actually got interested myself just b/c I am always interested in any good shooting, reliable, and therefore fun .22 caliber.
    Imagine, a new pistol where they actually cared that it ran w/o needing updates before being sold to the public like Sig's 365 being the last big one I'm aware of.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I'll likely pick one of these up this spring. It is just what I was hoping Glock would make, except I'd like a 15 round magazine instead of 10, but I heard larger capacity is planned, eventually.

Thanks for the quick review!

After all the hype and the reviews I was pretty sure I could live without one. After handling and shooting it I'll probably end up with one when the excitement subsides. Woody did tell me they are trying to work the bugs out of the 15 mag and if Taurus can figure it out I'm sure Glock will get a handle on it. If you think about it, the fact that most 22s are 10 round mags means that designing a higher capacity mag, for what ever reason is an engineering nightmare.
    As I understand it trying to engineer a completely reliable 15 round mag was the primary hold up on the introduction. Also another interesting tidbit, the reason for the 44 number is the fact that they have been trying to make it "perfection" for 3 years. Hence the 45, 46, 47 and 48 was released before the 44.. I carry a 19C or 19X every day and I really like the familiar feel of it in my hand. If it proves to be as reliable as Glock claims I believe it will be an asset for my personal training.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men don't train or shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” Coach

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thanks a lot NHT3 , all I need is another reason to buy a another Glock! :) A few years ago I thought I would never own a Glock - now own 3 including two bought this year. Looks like the G44 might be the 4th. My only 22 pistol I shoot open sighted these days is a 1971 Walther PPK/S and the G44 should be a welcome addition.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the info on this new blaster. When I first saw the announcement, I had no interest but when the discuss the design decisions made in the name of reliability, then it changes things up a lot. I still carry a G23 and may move the the G19 some day as my joints age. In either case, this could be a good training tool, just as my .22lr Kadet Kit is for my 9mm and .40 P07s.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am interested. But going to let the hype die down a bit. I also want to see what they are going to do with threaded barrel options. I was planning on a new barrel for my Browning Buckmark but could easily be convinced to spend that money on a G44

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was disappointed to hear this only holds 10+1 rounds

The gun is a .22 for practice and GSSF or steel challenge. 10 rounds are fine by me and all that is allowed in the sporting events anyway. Part of practicing is changing magazines.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm sure they will sell a lot of them (look at the 19x) I just don't get the hate on them. Simple don't buy it. But it's an option and as a 22 10 rounds is fine unless you want the John Wick stages. To each their own I guess.

Top Bottom