• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have an XD Mod2 Tactical in .45 ACP and really like it. It's been reliable over several hundred rounds, and it's easy to shoot accurately. I don't particularly care for the grip safety, but it's hard to find a 5" striker-fired .45 with similar capacity. The large frame Glocks are a no-go for me, I've owned a couple and the ergonomics are horrible, making shooting them a chore. I've never had a problem with actuating the grip safety or with defective mags with my XD, but I do admit that I haven't tested it by bathing in blood and rolling around in the dust while limp-gripping it and fighting off an active shooter.

I'm hoping that the new Hellcat signals a shift away from grip safeties for Springfield's future striker-fired pistols. I'd trade my Mod2 Tactical for the same pistol without the grip safety in a heartbeat.

Interesting to note that the complaints about the XD in the article are from the initial release of the first generation pistol in 2003. Not sure how relevant the information is today, or what the differences are between the old pistols and the new XD-m and Mod2 pistols.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have a Hellcat in my safe for review. The jury is still out but the first exposure does not seem like there is much of a reason to be excited.

I do like the ergonomics of the XD pistol lines. I posted the article as an FYI, and because my personal experience mirrors what is in the article. I absolutely deplore the XD pistol line. I once owned three XD pistols and wanted to like them but they let me down in massive fashion. I no longer own a single XD pistol. The only Springfield I have is a 1911 and it will stay that way. The XDm series came about to correct the lack of quality in the XD line. I think the XDm line was improved but they are not going to get a chance to prove me wrong on that.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Interesting read. No issues with my XDm's, XD-S's or the Hellcat, though the Hellcat hasn't been shot enough to get a good feel for it yet. Haven't shot or owned one of the original XD models.

That being said, I haven't pushed myself or the guns like the article. Interested to hear others opinions and experience.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I would note that I wouldn't look at any 9mm in the XD platform with any interest. Much better options out there. I just like it better than any of the other limited options for a higher capacity striker .45 ACP. Would really like a CZ P10 in .45, but everything is now muh 9mm, so gotta go with what's available.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This article shares an experienced opinion. I have other reasons why I don’t care for XD line of pistols. In a nutshell there is nothing the XD will do that a Glock, M&P, PPQ or P320 won’t do as well or better.

Top Bottom