• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Well, after selling my custom SP101 3" a few years ago, I am once again in the wheel-gun game. I was gifted a beautiful GP100 (Talo unfluted cylinder edition) in .357 magnum over the holiday and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the way this wheel-gun shoots. After receiving this lovely pistol I proceeded to doing the obligatory IBOK trigger job, which included spring changes, hammer shims and knowing exactly where to stone the action to give it a wonderful sub 2lb SA and 6lb DA trigger pull.

If you have never shot a custom-trigger Ruger wheel-gun in DA mode, you are really missing something special. The generous ledge at the end of the trigger pull allows for the easiest trigger-staging of any revolver that I have ever shot... I find DA to be more accurate and predictable than SA by a county mile.

swIK5KYl.jpg

My new GP100 with my preferred SD ammo

t3XtmNGl.jpg

6 DA off-hand Shots at 25 Yards on a wet snowy day

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Very nice. I just had a trigger job done on my 22 year old Taurus Model 44. Single action it was around 2lb. Double action felt like 50lb. It's now around 8lb and still around 2lb single action. Double action it's super smooth now. Huge difference. Best $35 I ever spent.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Well, after selling my custom SP101 3" a few years ago, I am once again in the wheel-gun game. I was gifted a beautiful GP100 (Talo unfluted cylinder edition) in .357 magnum over the holiday and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the way this wheel-gun shoots. After receiving this lovely pistol I proceeded to doing the obligatory IBOK trigger job, which included spring changes, hammer shims and knowing exactly where to stone the action to give it a wonderful sub 2lb SA and 6lb DA trigger pull.

If you have never shot a custom-trigger Ruger wheel-gun in DA mode, you are really missing something special. The generous ledge at the end of the trigger pull allows for the easiest trigger-staging of any revolver that I have ever shot... I find DA to be more accurate and predictable than SA by a county mile.

t3XtmNGl.jpg

Looks great...and I love the un-fluted cylinder look...that really sets it off!
    I have a Davidson's 5" GP100...and I love it...needs some trigger work though!
    I still have my 3" SP101...it's awesome and it'll never leave the stable!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Looks great...and I love the un-fluted cylinder look...that really sets it off!
    I have a Davidson's 5" GP100...and I love it...needs some trigger work though!
    I still have my 3" SP101...it's awesome and it'll never leave the stable!

Thanks Amishman44,

If you really want it, the trigger job is exactly the same on both the GP100 and the SP101. There are several good videos explaining how it is done, and I can tell you from experience that a blind, dyslexic monkey could do it... I'm the perfect example.

I really recommend the Mcarbo Trigger Spring & Shim Kit. They even have a decent video on how to do the trigger job. I have done several Ruger revolver trigger jobs over the years, which even goes back to the time when an awesome Ruger gunsmith published a document name the "IBOK Trigger Job", which is really no different than the various how-to videos that are on youtube today. I would not own a Ruger GP or SP revolver without doing the trigger job, since it is such a cheap and easy way to exponentially improve the stock trigger.

If you have any mechanical skills at all, the effort is worth it!

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

Very nice looking GP100 you have there! I used to own a late 1980s 4" GP100 and wish I had kept it. Myself I can shoot SA far more accurately than DA but have never fired a 6lb DA like you have. If I ever get a GP100 again I'll have to work the trigger like you did or else hire a blind, dyslexic monkey to do it!:laugh:

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Really enjoy shooting wheel guns. Now you have me thinking of doing the kit on my GP100. Never really thought it needed much, but, hmmm, interesting. Thanks for sharing the pics and link. Nice looking revolver for sure!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

My new GP100 with my preferred SD ammo

t3XtmNGl.jpg

I can not fathom that group at 25 yards, I would not be able to even see the card at that distance. :dunno:
    I could do that at 12 feet, and maybe at 20'/7 yds. on a very, very good day. :lmfao:

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Nice shooting.
    I have the SP in a 4" barrel. Great gun.
    I love it, except the trigger guard bruises my middle finger a little with 357 shells. It's perfect for me with 38 SP rounds.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I can not fathom that group at 25 yards, I would not be able to even see the card at that distance. :dunno:
    I could do that at 12 feet, and maybe at 20'/7 yds. on a very, very good day. :lmfao:

I can tell you that at 56 years old the card is looking pretty fuzzy. I actually rely on years of shooting experience, where I just use a tried and true sight picture against the fuzzy target.

Here is a 25 yard group from an M&P that I shot a couple years ago. I can already tell that this new Ruger is capable of even better groups. I'm just not sure that I am anymore.

https://youtu.be/japNDa82YnY

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Nice shooting.
    I have the SP in a 4" barrel. Great gun.
    I love it, except the trigger guard bruises my middle finger a little with 357 shells. It's perfect for me with 38 SP rounds.

My SP101 used to sting my middle finger as well when shooting hot loads. This GP100 does not cause any pain at all due the the size and weight. I'm liken' it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can tell you that at 56 years old the card is looking pretty fuzzy. I actually rely on years of shooting experience, where I just use a tried and true sight picture against the fuzzy target.
    Here is a 25 yard group from an M&P that I shot a couple years ago. I can already tell that this new Ruger is capable of even better groups. I'm just not sure that I am anymore.
    https://youtu.be/japNDa82YnY

I had a SW 2.0 in 9mm recently and I was impressed on its accuracy, but good grief, shooting at 50 yards is amazing with an inference that you might do the 100 yards! :thumbsup:

Here is me at less than 7 yds. & at 10 yds. so you can imagine how I'm blown away by those shots at 50 YARDS!!! :bowdown:
    3qINdGT.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I had a SW 2.0 in 9mm recently and I was impressed on its accuracy, but good grief, shooting at 50 yards is amazing with an inference that you might do the 100 yards! :thumbsup:

Here is me at less than 7 yds. & at 10 yds. so you can imagine how I'm blown away by those shots at 50 YARDS!!! :bowdown:
    3qINdGT.jpg

doddg,

I've been watching your improvements in shooting for a couple years now, and have to say that you are becoming a skilled shooter for sure. As for pinpoint accuracy, the only way to know how skilled you are is to shoot at very small things. Even when I shoot at something the size of a full torso target, I'll usually paste some small contrasting color circles onto various points so that I can really focus on getting small. Try the "small" drill instead of the torso drill, and I think that you will find that your bulls-eye skills are much more developed than you think.

I should also confess that any bulls-eye skills that I may have completely fall apart when speed and movement are added to the equation. I posted a soul cleansing thread a couple months ago where I had to express how humbled I was during a practical-shooting training exercise, where I actually felt like I had never shot a gun in my life... It was an eye opener!

Thanks for the compliments, but I can only lay claim to 25 yards (not 50) in the latest post and the video link I provided. I have shot 50 yard and 100 yards quite a few times, but can say with all certainty that the groups are not nearly as small as what I just posted here.

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg,

I've been watching your improvements in shooting for a couple years now, and have to say that you are becoming a skilled shooter for sure. As for pinpoint accuracy, the only way to know how skilled you are is to shoot at very small things. Even when I shoot at something the size of a full torso target, I'll usually paste some small contrasting color circles onto various points so that I can really focus on getting small. Try the "small" drill instead of the torso drill, and I think that you will find that your bulls-eye skills are much more developed than you think.

I should also confess that any bulls-eye skills that I may have completely fall apart when speed and movement are added to the equation. I posted a soul cleansing thread a couple months ago where I had to express how humbled I was during a practical-shooting training exercise, where I actually felt like I had never shot a gun in my life... It was an eye opener!

Thanks for the compliments, but I can only lay claim to 25 yards (not 50) in the latest post and the video link I provided. I have shot 50 yard and 100 yards quite a few times, but can say with all certainty that the groups are not nearly as small as what I just posted here.

Have fun and be safe!

Thanks for the kind words, but I suspect most of my improvements are b/c I started shooting from a rest alot for the past few months.
    I always try to remember to label the target with "free-hand" and/or "on a rest" so people don't get the wrong impression of my accuracy.
    Like you, I would probably be shocked how speeding up/movement would askew my results.
    I was shooting steel with my Shadow 2 a year ago and it was easy until I started to speed it up and was shocked that I would miss not 1 but 2 rounds before "ringing" it!

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    I'm just getting started at this and for me even 25' is a far greater challenge than 20'. You guys talking 25-50 yards is quite out of my league, for now.
    Can't wait

Top Bottom