Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Defensive Revolvers: Is it a Trend or Just a Fad?

Defensive Revolvers: Is it a Trend or Just a Fad?

You can calm down because this is not another one of those “Revolver vs. Semi-auto” articles. I am, however, curious about all of the recent interest in defensive revolvers that I see on social media. Colt has recently made a big splash with the reintroduction of their Python revolver. At the same time, we continue to see and hear from shooters who cleave to their Smith & Wesson J-frame revolvers. And there seems to be continued interest in revolvers manufactured by several other companies. A custom holster maker recently told me that 70 percent of his orders are holsters for revolvers. I am curious if we are seeing a solid trend back to the defensive revolver, or if this is just some sort of fad.

I carry a snubbie revolver on occasion. It is the handgun that fits best in the center counsel of my car.

User Info Menu

I have been carrying a 5 or 6 shot revolver every day since 1968. Actually put into play more than once. Before my father passed away, he gave me the Colt revolver that he relied on since 1947. Every one of my children got a 38 or 357 magnum revolver when they moved out on their own.

I was required to carry a high cap 9mm pistol by a police department at one time. I did not feel better off compared to my trusty old Model 15 S&W. A Ruger SP-101 can be buried with me.

I don't think a revolver is a fad. I like Sheriff Jim. I always have. I am probably an old timer...

Thanks for the post.
    Red Fire 372

User Info Menu

Fad.

It's the industry's job to sell guns, and every year, it gets harder and harder to come up with something people don't already have.

Compounded by the fact, that most people don't bother to shoot or practice much with their carry gun. Whether or not they can hit anything with it (sight radius, trigger pull) becomes a purely secondary consideration to how it feels and what kind of cool holster they got for it. Factors which help make the revolver freshly worthy of consideration among people who, well, haven't considered it before.

User Info Menu

Definitely a fad.
    A 100+ year old fad but still a fad.

User Info Menu

I started out a revolver guy over 30 yrs. ago.
    In the past 2 yrs. & 9 months I have tried all the small 5 shot & some larger 6 shot revolvers.
    I hated my SW 642 Airweight that was supposed to be the ultimate at the time, and it was a functional tool: respect, but no love.
    I love the Kimber 6s stainless, 6 shot .357 revolver, and intend to keep it long-term.
    I can't imagine what would take its place.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoss View Post
    Definitely a fad.
    A 100+ year old fad but still a fad.
    ^^^^ This! Many bad guys have met their demise via revolver way before we had bottom feeders. They are still a great option for their intended purpose today.

User Info Menu

I'm one of those guys that had a custom holster made for a revolver last year. Don't feel undergunned when I am out and about with the Model 13 on my hip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ‘88 (aka ‘88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

Started with a S&W 686 357 on Sheriff's dept. Changed over to semi autos, actually sold most of my revolvers at one time. Have had arm surgery and found myself unable to work a slide for a couple of months. So, went back to revolvers and now with age and my arm acting up again, will be staying with them for the rest of my life.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

User Info Menu

I guess the answer would depend on an individuals date of birth. At 43, I'd say I'm right on that borderline.

Other than collecting a couple old S&W's or having a nice BUG for the pocket/ankle, I dont personally see a need for revolvers in 2020.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    I guess the answer would depend on an individuals date of birth. At 43, I'd say I'm right on that borderline.

Other than collecting a couple old S&W's or having a nice BUG for the pocket/ankle, I dont personally see a need for revolvers in 2020.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    There’s that ‘n’ word again. Need has little meaning when talking about guns unless the word ‘more’ immediately follows it.

‘88 (aka ‘88, the mad scientist)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast