Defensive Revolvers: Is it a Trend or Just a Fad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Defensive Revolvers: Is it a Trend or Just a Fad?

You can calm down because this is not another one of those “Revolver vs. Semi-auto” articles. I am, however, curious about all of the recent interest in defensive revolvers that I see on social media. Colt has recently made a big splash with the reintroduction of their Python revolver. At the same time, we continue to see and hear from shooters who cleave to their Smith & Wesson J-frame revolvers. And there seems to be continued interest in revolvers manufactured by several other companies. A custom holster maker recently told me that 70 percent of his orders are holsters for revolvers. I am curious if we are seeing a solid trend back to the defensive revolver, or if this is just some sort of fad.

I carry a snubbie revolver on occasion. It is the handgun that fits best in the center counsel of my car.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been carrying a 5 or 6 shot revolver every day since 1968. Actually put into play more than once. Before my father passed away, he gave me the Colt revolver that he relied on since 1947. Every one of my children got a 38 or 357 magnum revolver when they moved out on their own.

I was required to carry a high cap 9mm pistol by a police department at one time. I did not feel better off compared to my trusty old Model 15 S&W. A Ruger SP-101 can be buried with me.

I don't think a revolver is a fad. I like Sheriff Jim. I always have. I am probably an old timer...

Thanks for the post.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Fad.

It's the industry's job to sell guns, and every year, it gets harder and harder to come up with something people don't already have.

Compounded by the fact, that most people don't bother to shoot or practice much with their carry gun. Whether or not they can hit anything with it (sight radius, trigger pull) becomes a purely secondary consideration to how it feels and what kind of cool holster they got for it. Factors which help make the revolver freshly worthy of consideration among people who, well, haven't considered it before.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I started out a revolver guy over 30 yrs. ago.
    In the past 2 yrs. & 9 months I have tried all the small 5 shot & some larger 6 shot revolvers.
    I hated my SW 642 Airweight that was supposed to be the ultimate at the time, and it was a functional tool: respect, but no love.
    I love the Kimber 6s stainless, 6 shot .357 revolver, and intend to keep it long-term.
    I can't imagine what would take its place.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm one of those guys that had a custom holster made for a revolver last year. Don't feel undergunned when I am out and about with the Model 13 on my hip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Started with a S&W 686 357 on Sheriff's dept. Changed over to semi autos, actually sold most of my revolvers at one time. Have had arm surgery and found myself unable to work a slide for a couple of months. So, went back to revolvers and now with age and my arm acting up again, will be staying with them for the rest of my life.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I guess the answer would depend on an individuals date of birth. At 43, I'd say I'm right on that borderline.

Other than collecting a couple old S&W's or having a nice BUG for the pocket/ankle, I dont personally see a need for revolvers in 2020.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I guess the answer would depend on an individuals date of birth. At 43, I'd say I'm right on that borderline.

Other than collecting a couple old S&W's or having a nice BUG for the pocket/ankle, I dont personally see a need for revolvers in 2020.

There’s that ‘n’ word again. Need has little meaning when talking about guns unless the word ‘more’ immediately follows it.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    There’s that ‘n’ word again. Need has little meaning when talking about guns unless the word ‘more’ immediately follows it.
    I can see that. However, need means everything for me. I have never grasped the idea of collecting defensive firearms. I follow the one is none, two is one concept and proceed.

My approach is centered around self defense, so the only thing I would need "more" of is ammo, training and practice.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    My first Revolver was a used S&W M10-4in. !982. Still owned and used for Police, Security, and home defense. I upgraded to SemiAutos, various calibers over the years. Bought a M36, M49, and lost both to a break in at my home. Replaced it with a M442 S&W(JFrame). Also still owned and carried often. I do not feel underarmed carrying either or both, and don't feel underarmed carrying my G19, or a Sig226. Sometimes a Semiauto + Jfame (pocket or jacket carried).
    I know they are dependable with factory ammo(no offense to reloaders), prefer a JHP round over ball round. Make the choice for yourself. Practice is a key to maintain your accuracy. Most will do the job, if you do yours. Good luck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the interest in the Python and the interest in defensive revolvers has a small overlap. I suspect the new Colt revolvers will be a fad. The old Colt snake guns weren't hot sellers when they were in production and, in stock form, were not highly thought of by high volume shooters or professional gun toters. They were expensive and finicky guns with double action triggers that were...different. Talented smiths could make them into something quite nice, but you still had a gun that wasn't as durable as it's competitors at lower price tags. Nostalgia will sell some new Colts, and maybe as long as they do a Cohen-esque gun of the month rotation they can keep some sales, but I doubt it's going to be anything but a bit player for mostly collectors and accumulators.

Most of the actual defensive uses of revolvers I saw where the J-frame/LCR sized guns. House/business guns were more likely to be k-frame or GP100s. They always worked when the user did their part.

I'll be taking a GP100 on my next out of state trip as I will be flying. I get my luggage, go to the bathroom outside the secure area, load and holster inside a stall. I'm armed before I get to the taxi stand and do not have to worry about loading a magazine, making noise racking a slide, etc. The admin handling is quick, safe, and easy. I can also put a lock through the frame, an added safety measure that easily shows up on x-ray of the lock box. I've never had TSA ask to re-inspect. Perhaps I'll be kilt in the streetz (well, sandz in this case) but for what I am doing the revolver will do just fine. If I get kilt with an empty cylinder, everyone feel free to point and say "I told you so".

Top Bottom