• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    I posted something about this in another post but didn't get much feedback.
    Keep in mind that I am pretty new to this, so be kind (I can take heat but will fire back :cool:).
    With my Beretta 92FS, it really bothers me to use a conventional grip with left thumb below slide under right thumb. It just feels weird and my thumb gets in the way of my trigger finger.
    It is far more comfortable and I am more accurate with my left thumb wrapped around the back of my right hand.
    I am reading through the thread RSO View Of The World in Tactics and Training. I see where this grip is pretty much frowned upon.
    Is it just not conventional? Frowned upon? socially unacceptable? Or an absolutely unforgivable sin?
    If it's bad, can you please explain why?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In addition to what Kurr points out about the potential to injure your offhand thumb if it's crossed over the back of the primary hand, it also introduces the potential to induce malfunctions by impeding the slide.

A video from the late, great Paul Gomez on grip might be helpful -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOslIIfggk&list=PLShZ9JbRY8fhyR5wYeqJljZWeb6QTeNbX&index=17

Also note: one's initial "comfort" isn't the criteria by which a grip method should be measured. Most proper grips, stances, etc. feel awkward to those learning a new skill whether it's golf, baseball, or shooting a handgun. Nonetheless, there are good, results-based reasons for them. Assuming one's pistol fits one's hand, comfort will come with practice. There are good, reasons why the cup and saucer grip, gripping the wrist, curling the offhand thumb over the back of the primary hand, etc. aren't recommended. A poorly fitting pistol may make it more difficult to achieve an idealized proper grip.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I might be worth your while to spend a little money on some one-on-one training with a qualified instructor. Actually seeing it done, and given literal hands on is hard to beat.

Depending on the size of your hands, maybe the 92 is too big for you also.

Top Bottom