• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    So I have two Shields, that being said they have different barrels...any idea on why they would be different? They have different profiles. Both where bought used. Both sellers stated everything was factory minus the Apex trigger in one of them.
    119DB22E-0269-4454-8DEE-67264CE8180F.jpg
    ECA55759-8E4D-4E1E-B74D-C6EF78138D43.jpg

badmotorscooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Mooresville
    My guess is cost, one is likely easier(faster, cheaper) to produce than the other. Maybe they tried to improve some kind of premature wear. Give S&W a call, I'm sure they can provide an answer.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm not familiar with the barrels. My guess...

They have had a couple barrel changes. The first barrel had accuracy issues. The second barrel didn't fix it, and it was redesigned again. There was something wrong with the crown throwing off the bullet.

Sometimes there are changes made without the manufacturer drawing attention to something.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm not familiar with the barrels. My guess...

They have had a couple barrel changes. The first barrel had accuracy issues. The second barrel didn't fix it, and it was redesigned again. There was something wrong with the crown throwing off the bullet.

Sometimes there are changes made without the manufacturer drawing attention to something.

Yep. Look at the striker on the P365. It's been redesigned at least 3 times since it's introduction.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd send the serial numbers to S&W and the pictures ask them about it. I'm interested in the answer.

You may get a new barrel for one of them. Never know. Was there ever a recall on them?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Is there an accuracy issue with one or the other? If not other than curiosity I wouldn't worry. As mentioned Manufacturers often make a subtle change or two with zero fan fare other than an OCD person (not saying that's the case here) Noticing

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have an early model shield, it has the top style. Do you have the box's? Those would have manufacture date. My guess is the bottom one is from around the 2.0 era, and has a barrel revision meant for that.

Top Bottom