• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    I am thinking about buying a used Coonan in .357 magnum that I found recently. Could anyone give me their thoughts on the gun and what a fair price would be? It only comes with one mag and the factory soft case. I know they are pricey but I have always wanted one. Thanks in advance.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Coonans are awesome! Truly a joy to shoot and very tame.

My wife had one that we took to the range pretty regularly for about a year, only issue we ever had was the occasional time the slide would lock back on a hotter round.

Magazines are obnoxiously expensive, make sure you know which magazine you need. Memory says the magazines from the earlier guns won’t work with the other ones. The factory only shipped them with one mag. It should come with a spring for 38 special, we never swapped it to try running it that way.

Ultimately, she let it go to fund the purchase of a pup. We bought it used for $1100 and sold it for the same price.

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    Areoflyer09, thanks for the info. This one does come with only one mag and the .38 spring. And $1100.00 is exactly what the price is on this one. I remember seeing the Coonan years ago at a gun show I went to and have ever since wanted one. Seems like they are becoming more hard to get which I am sure drives the price up on them.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anytime! We got introduced to it by a guy at our range. We were hooked after that. They really are awesome guns. If you haven’t shot one, you’ll have a silly grin every time. And everyone will hear you and probably ask questions. I don’t think we had a range trip where at least one other person shot it and several would ask about it. It was probably the best conversation starter.

Something is going on with Coonan. Speculation isn’t great and I’ve heard several reasons, but the message on their website has been way for months now. So whatever the real reason is, it’s not re-assuring.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I LOVE my Coonan. It’s a gun gun. I’ve taken a hog and a deer with it. It’s fun to shoot and something everyone needs who likes more than a few guns.

Great customer service too. I bought the compact one after my original one and they called me from shot show to give advice.

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    I LOVE my Coonan. It’s a gun gun. I’ve taken a hog and a deer with it. It’s fun to shoot and something everyone needs who likes more than a few guns.

Great customer service too. I bought the compact one after my original one and they called me from shot show to give advice.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking around for one and this one at $1100 just came up for sale. I don't think I am going to find one any cheaper. I am really close to buying it, just wanted a few opinions before doing so.

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    Anytime! We got introduced to it by a guy at our range. We were hooked after that. They really are awesome guns. If you haven’t shot one, you’ll have a silly grin every time. And everyone will hear you and probably ask questions. I don’t think we had a range trip where at least one other person shot it and several would ask about it. It was probably the best conversation starter.

Something is going on with Coonan. Speculation isn’t great and I’ve heard several reasons, but the message on their website has been way for months now. So whatever the real reason is, it’s not re-assuring.

Didn't know about the possible problems at Coonan. Thanks for that information.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, I think the company is or has gone out, so I would not count on getting factory service. A number of folks had reported that they had guns in for work and had not received the back, etc. I don't do facebook, but at one point there were several complaints there about this, and looks like their Facebook page may have been largely gutted of content.

They have complaints of non delivery and other issues going back into 2018 for some of this: https://www.bbb.org/us/mn/circle-pines/profile/gun-dealers/coonan-inc-0704-1000018980

So, I'd assume as a business they are gone.

That said, some of the older guns have had some galling, and would have some steel shavings occur, but they were generally built like a tank. My brother had one back in the late 80's/early 90's and it was an interesting gun. He carried it for a while, but sold it off many years ago. I don't recall him having any issues and it was an interesting gun.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    Yep, I think the company is or has gone out, so I would not count on getting factory service. A number of folks had reported that they had guns in for work and had not received the back, etc. I don't do facebook, but at one point there were several complaints there about this, and looks like their Facebook page may have been largely gutted of content.

Some of the older guns have had some galling, and would have some steel shavings occur. My brother had one back in the late 80's/early 90's and it was an interesting gun. He carried it for a while, but sold it off many years ago. I don't recall him having any issues and it was an interesting gun.

Thanks for the info. Anything I can find out will help me make a decision. I am definitely leaning towards picking it up. It looks like there is an A model and B model. The B model supposedly is an upgrade over the A model. I'm not sure what model the one I am thinking about buying is, but I definitely need to find out.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Anything I can find out will help me make a decision. I am definitely leaning towards picking it up. It looks like there is an A model and B model. The B model supposedly is an upgrade over the A model. I'm not sure what model the one I am thinking about buying is, but I definitely need to find out.

Yep, I updated that post to include some bbb.org info.

As long as you go in eyes wide open that there won't be any factory service, no new OEM parts likely being produced, etc you should be good to go.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Mine was a B model and built more recently. It had no signs of galling that could happen with the earlier models.

If it has a linked barrel like a 1911 it’s an A, if it’s linkless it’s a B. Not sure how to get an idea on build date though. Any paperwork from the purchase in the case?

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    Mine was a B model and built more recently. It had no signs of galling that could happen with the earlier models.

If it has a linked barrel like a 1911 it’s an A, if it’s linkless it’s a B. Not sure how to get an idea on build date though. Any paperwork from the purchase in the case?

Not sure. I haven't purchased it yet.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I got a new one in 2017 if memory serves. Fun gun, took it deer hunting the first season I had it. If you haven't held one be ready, they are big and heavy. Seems like mine took about a month longer to get than I was told.
    i really need to work up a better load for it and get it back out.

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    I got a new one in 2017 if memory serves. Fun gun, took it deer hunting the first season I had it. If you haven't held one be ready, they are big and heavy. Seems like mine took about a month longer to get than I was told.
    i really need to work up a better load for it and get it back out.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how much I am going to shoot it. Just kinda want one because they are a little different and you don't see them often.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how much I am going to shoot it. Just kinda want one because they are a little different and you don't see them often.

Wow! The prices on Gunbroker are salty for this model. Here's one over $1800, with a couple more at $1500. Might be worth picking up one for $1100, with prices like that.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853220783

That same seller has a seperate auction for one magazine that's currently at $125.

Toecutter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2020
    Greenwood
    Wow! The prices on Gunbroker are salty for this model. Here's one over $1800, with a couple more at $1500. Might be worth picking up one for $1100, with prices like that.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853220783

That same seller has a seperate auction for one magazine that's currently at $125.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't plan on shooting it much. Just wanted one because you don't see them that often and when you do they are definitely salty!

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I ordered one about 3 years ago. It took 6 months to get it. I absolutely love it. I had a holster custom made for it, I never carry it though. It's a blast to shoot and throws one hell of a fire ball!. Only issue ive ever had is it won't cycle 38spc even with the lighter spring but, who cares, it's a friggin 357 MAGNUM!
    If it's at a gun shop, this being tax time, $1100, it won't last long. I looked for a used one for years before Coonan finally started producing them again. The company has had a rocky past. They made them in 10mm and 45acp for a short time. Id like to find one in 10mm.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    OP I know you've been down in the back lately, but did you buy this Coonan?

I'll bet you've been PMed repeatedly offering helpful info.

Like where is it.....Asking for a friend.

I expected photos by now.

PS, it is a buy it now price BTW.

Top Bottom