• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GWC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Lowell
    I just sold my Sig 2022 .40 so I could get a 9mm, and I have narrowed it down to these 2 guns HK p30/P30L or Sig p320. I would love to get some feedback ,and opinons I realy want to make the best choice here.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Two completely different pistols. Do you wanna hammer fired or striker fired? striker fired is here to stay it appears because the is no safest, no de cocker, same trigger pull every time... Some people feel a hammer fired is safer. They can feel the hammer is down when they holster and know they aren’t about to shoot their leg off.
    Just generally speaking, H&Ks are built like tanks. Their DA pull, if you get the DA/SA model, is amazingly bad. The P30 also has that little channel for the trigger in the trigger guard that makes my finger sore after a hundred rounds. It doesn’t bother some people.
    The P320 is the official Army pistol, so it is obviously a fine pistol. Get one of the newer ones as there were some teething pains in the early days.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Largely preference, both have advantages. I am partial to the DA/SAs. I have a P30 v3 (DA/SA, decocker, no safety) which I have surprised myself with the accuracy even in DA. I don't think the DA is that bad but I practice with bad triggers so a good one is easy. If you're a trigger snob, you'll hate the P30 though, lots of pre-travel. I also have a P30SK (sub compact) with the LEM trigger. Another advantage of the P30 is the interchangeable grip panels, it can be tailored to your hand beautifully, though the sig you can swap out the whole frame if you like.

LEM trigger is a light DAO... kinda. the hammer spring stays cocked but the hammer is decocked. every shot starts with a long DA pull but it's SA weight because the hammer spring is already cocked. after the shot, the hammer spring is recocked by the slide for the next shot but the really fun part is the reset: the shooter can fully release the trigger and start over with the DA length OR stop releasing at the first click which is basically the SA reset and pull again from there. So: Light DA with optional SA reset. Advantage is hammer-down safety without the heavy DA.

The sig has a lot more aftermarket support if you like modding, swappable frames, and is a lot more popular right now. Striker/SAO always has the same short, light trigger pull.

Being selected for the military certainly entails a level of reliability but the P30's been on the market for 20 years and is well established for phenomenal endurance and durability. On the other hand, the sig has had some teething problems and recalls already.

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    HK p30, or Sig p320

The p30 is built like a tank but doesn't feel like it because of grip-easy to fit to you. The trigger in da/sa improves with use but will never be great. russc2542's description is spot on. You get used to it. A sig 229 will feel good, not as good as a p30, but will have a better trigger. I like hammers. I'd buy a metal 229.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Have you shot both guns?
    If so, even if not, what did you like about each? They are different enough that this could ve the deciding factor. Yes, I am suggesting a pro/con sheet.

GWC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Lowell
    Wow exactly what I'm looking for Cable, but that's what I am looking to spend on a new gun, not a used one, I'm not saying I won't end up with a used one, but can't pay that much for used. I could go $575.00. ; )

Last edited:

GWC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Lowell
    well I have some experience with Sigs and have found them to be very well built, shoot well, and hold their value nicely, I shot my buddies HK P30L and fell in love, and the same goes for HK when it comes to dependability, and investment. I'm not ruling anything out, but would be happy with either the Sig, or the HK. gonna use it to shoot at the range, and would be my EDC for now, got a Ruger P90 .45 ACP riding the night stand for nighttime bad guys. : )

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Without reading many of the other comments...

I went with the p320. It’s getting serious attention from companies, Gov, and people. Which is great for parts, aftermarket upgrades, funding etc.

I chose the p320 platform for the options, repair / replacement options, the fcu options ( see FCU X01), and others.

if You think of the p320 as part of a system it changes the overall force on for e value of the platform. you can run and edc, and when you get to your backpack or PDW setup all your Mags cross over etc. could argue this with Glock as well, but I find the ethos on the p320 far better for me.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've got as P30 and a P2000 both with light LEM triggers. I've traded lots of pistols over the years, but I think these are my keepers. Once you learn to use a LEM trigger, it's hard to imagine anything else except maybe a 1911.

GWC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Lowell
    Picked up a brand new p30 for $600.00 out the door at my LGS. I like it. 20200128_075136.jpg

Last edited:

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    I don’t have any feedback on the HK but I have a few years and about 4K rounds with a full size p320. I really have no complaints with the sig and haven’t had any failures in those rounds. It is the most acurate handgun for “me”. It inspires confidence when I shoot it. It is a bit chunky compared to say a Glock but it really has a lot going right for it. The one thing I did do is I had a guy out of Around Terre Haute stipple the frame. I have other handguns but the p320 is the one that sits beside my bed at night. I think it’s a great overall choice with a lot of great holster options on the market. Also if you decide to change from a full size frame to a compact frame... that will only cost you about $40 for a new grip frame and then the cost of the shorter or longer mag to fit.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Is it a more or less fair comparison to look at a p229 vs a P30/L? Seems like the competition for the 320 would be something like the VP9, not a DA/SA hammer gun.

Top Bottom