• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    These have been discussed here before, and not that long ago if memory serves.
    I'm too lazy to look up the threads, but I'm sure there's at least one.

"Reviews" on here are all over the place.
    Some say they like them, others say run away.
    As long as you understand this is NOT a high-end 1911.

There is also a general consensus that they are not a good platform for a "build".

I like the one I have.
    It seems to shoot to point of aim.
    It does not seem to be picky about ammo, though I've only run a couple of different brands/profiles down the barrel.

I don't have a ton of rounds through mine.
    I didn't buy it for competition, or duty.
    I bought it because I wanted a 10mm 1911, but I didn't want to spend $1k.

O.k. my flame suit is on, and I already have a good tan, so flame away Ingo...

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    i just grabbed a Ruger SR1911 10mm myself. Had I seen this First it may have been my first........ now it will be my second 10mm

I have no issue tweaking a firearm. I actually like the Sights better on the RIA..... Are they stainless steel or blued? I think i saw a Sniper Gray Cerekote one at some point.....

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    These have been discussed here before, and not that long ago if memory serves.
    I'm too lazy to look up the threads, but I'm sure there's at least one.

"Reviews" on here are all over the place.
    Some say they like them, others say run away.
    As long as you understand this is NOT a high-end 1911.

There is also a general consensus that they are not a good platform for a "build".

I like the one I have.
    It seems to shoot to point of aim.
    It does not seem to be picky about ammo, though I've only run a couple of different brands/profiles down the barrel.

I don't have a ton of rounds through mine.
    I didn't buy it for competition, or duty.
    I bought it because I wanted a 10mm 1911, but I didn't want to spend $1k.

O.k. my flame suit is on, and I already have a good tan, so flame away Ingo...

What I was wondering. Are all Rock Island in that category not a good build or just this model?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IMHO, this is typical for a RIA. Some run, some don’t and some fall somewhere in between. I had an RIA Compact and it ran well, even with the mags that it came with. Over a period of a year or two, I had replaced most of the internal parts and polished what remained. The thing did go through recoil springs though.

Most RIAs are bought by folks that run them occasionally and most seem to hold up under that duty cycle. But, you most definitely get what you pay for with an RIA. My belief is that higher tier gun manufacturers run closer tolerances and fresher tooling. Even with that, there are times when tolerances stack in an adverse way and a marginal gun results. With the sub-$500 1911 market, the chance of an adverse tolerance stack is greater.

If you read the reviews on the 10mm from RK, you see a lot of 5 star reviews that start with “I have not shot it yet but...”. There are also a lot that mention tossing brass into the next county. That makes me think that the guns are either under-sprung or have long ejectors. There’s a good review submitted on 7/4/19 that goes into decent detail on what it is you get for the money.

After all that, it’s still only $409, so even if it turned out to be a lump of useless steel, it only cost the equivalent of a couple of nice dinners or a Colts game

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My father-in-law bought one in December. It hasn't been shot yet. Just working his sample, it seemed ok. Fit was pretty decent, trigger seemed on par for the course. But remember, I'm not a 1911 guy so my decent and not bad is subjective.

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    RK had Kimber Custom II's for $530-ish. For the difference I'd pass on the RIA. We already know that the 1911 platform is suspect vs. 10mm roundhouse loads. In .45 or 9mm I might consider the RIA, but not in 10mm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    RK had Kimber Custom II's for $530-ish. For the difference I'd pass on the RIA. We already know that the 1911 platform is suspect vs. 10mm roundhouse loads. In .45 or 9mm I might consider the RIA, but not in 10mm.

I seen that after posting this. CM and several others talking about the 10mm full power loads being to much for a 1911 frame. I guess I'll have to wait for a Glock single stack 10mm to fill that want.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I seen that after posting this. CM and several others talking about the 10mm full power loads being to much for a 1911 frame. I guess I'll have to wait for a Glock single stack 10mm to fill that want.

Underwood used to have a special load available for the early Delta Elites that was not quite as stout as the normal nuclear Underwood loads. There are ways to tame the 10mm in a 1911 though, such as using the flat bottom firing pin retainer to increase the effort needed to cock the hammer during the recoil cycle. The DE I have does not get fed the high end nuclear stuff but it does run stout 10mm ammo quite well without ejecting brass into the next county.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Underwood used to have a special load available for the early Delta Elites that was not quite as stout as the normal nuclear Underwood loads. There are ways to tame the 10mm in a 1911 though, such as using the flat bottom firing pin retainer to increase the effort needed to cock the hammer during the recoil cycle. The DE I have does not get fed the high end nuclear stuff but it does run stout 10mm ammo quite well without ejecting brass into the next county.

I want something that can handle 10mm nuclear powered loads in a single stack.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN

Another member reminded me in a different thread that Sig makes a P220 in 10mm. I looked them up and they are a bit pricey but it's an option.

If you're inclined Springfield makes an XD in 10mm too, but I believe it's a double stack.

There are more choices than ever before, and I would expect more to come in the next couple of years.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville

Not sure about the 1911 platform vs 10mm full house loads, but stack metal against the poly frame for such power, id bet on the 1911 (from a reputable maker) first. please note this is MY OPINION.

There is some movement recently regarding 10mm, and id say it would be a major failure of the companies to not consider 10mm full house being loaded considering the Alaskan usage and such. i refuse to load weak 10mm (i3 40sw but longer) i can load 40sw into the p320 for that need.....

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My RIA 1911 GI 10mm has been great so far. I have somewhere north of 500 rounds of the S&B 180 grain through it. I did run two magazines of the Underwood ammo through it and the recoil was stout! I didn't see any wear that wasn't already there before the Underwood ammo, though. If I were to shoot a steady diet of heavier 10mm loads, I would definitely replace the recoil spring with something heavier.

I bought replacement fire control parts to upgrade it before I ever shot it, which was more of a precaution and for upgrades than out of need. The only complaints I have about the pistol are how bad the GI sights are and having to use a "tool" to field strip the gun.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    The thing to remember is most guns aren't exposed to 100% maximum power loads all the time. My 9mm handguns get mostly target loads. They only get about 10% defense ammo. Not only is that due to availability, but price. I don't think John Moses Browning was thinking about a 127gr +P+ load but my Hi Power does just fine with them. I have a Star PD in .45 ACP and with regular buffer changes it handles +P 185gr loads. I wouldn't expose any of them to a constant diet of hotrod loads.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

You should talk to Churchmouse. I’ve run a couple of his single stack 10mms with Underwood’s finest and those run great. He has the recipe for how to do a 10mm 1911 right. It won’t be cheap, but it can be done.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The thing to remember is most guns aren't exposed to 100% maximum power loads all the time. My 9mm handguns get mostly target loads. They only get about 10% defense ammo. Not only is that due to availability, but price. I don't think John Moses Browning was thinking about a 127gr +P+ load but my Hi Power does just fine with them. I have a Star PD in .45 ACP and with regular buffer changes it handles +P 185gr loads. I wouldn't expose any of them to a constant diet of hotrod loads.

That's the whole point of having a 10mm. If I want to shoot 40 S&W I should just buy one instead of a 10mm. All my pistols are rated for sustained +P ammunition according to the manufacturer. That's kind of a priority since I reload and get the full performance from every round when possible. (Accuracy isn't always the best with a high velocity round.)
    I understand your point as well. I do have some older revolvers and pistols that can't handle +P some are so old they probably couldn't handle normal modern pressures. Like my dad's 1917 H&R 38 S&W.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

This is true of most of my guns. My .40s are different though in that I have a reload that closely mimics the performance of a 180g HST. The .40s get run with those a lot. I also load a soft .40 target load that feels like a .45 but the SD guns tend to get the HST level reloads I save the soft stuff for plinking with non-EDC .40s.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    You should talk to Churchmouse. I’ve run a couple of his single stack 10mms with Underwood’s finest and those run great. He has the recipe for how to do a 10mm 1911 right. It won’t be cheap, but it can be done.

I don't mean to jack the thread, but I just picked up a later model Colt DE and havn't had a chance to shoot it. The first thing I did was buy a bunch of different rounds to try. Should I work up slowly to the stouter rounds, checking brass along the way? Or is it not a concern. The pistol is like new, and the springs are way tight, stiffer than any pistol I've ever cycled. thanks in advance.

Top Bottom