• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Does anyone have any input as to quality of the Remington 1911? I've had and got rid of a Series 70 Colt and an SA w/ all the bells and whistles, picked up an RIA recently, and now want get something better than that RIA that is reminiscient of a GI gun. It'll be for plinking and casual target shooting and almost never for carry.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Have had a Remington 1911 for 10 years. Absolutely love it. I've owned and sold a few other hand guns over the years. This 1911 will stay with me indefinitely.

Last edited:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I like the Remingtons. Had several. Better quality than Most of the less expensive 1911s made in the Philippines ie RIA ATI Though the Metro Arms are on par which are also made there. IMO they are solid pistols at a reasonable price point. My 2 cents anyway

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have two Remington R1 enhanced one in 45 and one in 9mm ,love them both they have a great trigger and shoot better than me

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    any reason for not wanting the RIA? generally ive heard good things...
    The one I have has all the bells and whistles and I want something with more of a GI appearance. Also, the fit and finish is not quite up to par. Edges are too sharp to suit me.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    The one I have has all the bells and whistles and I want something with more of a GI appearance. Also, the fit and finish is not quite up to par. Edges are too sharp to suit me.

dang now I have to go take a seconds (really 4th) look at the RIA and check the tiny spots I may have glossed over.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A true GI piece is by design rough as a cob. Loose as a goose and easy to run but clunky at best.

There are a few nicely fit up GI appearing offerings out there. But I am not familiar enough with the Remingtons currently offered. I have owned a few and were not overly enamored by them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had an R1S and put about 2k rounds through it before a friend talked me into selling it to him. I’d buy it back in a heartbeat. It ran well and was a nice shooter. It was carried from time to time with confidence in it’s ability to function if needed. I never did figure out what sight cuts were on it though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had an R1S and put about 2k rounds through it before a friend talked me into selling it to him. I’d buy it back in a heartbeat. It ran well and was a nice shooter. It was carried from time to time with confidence in it’s ability to function if needed. I never did figure out what sight cuts were on it though.

I should stop looking deep inside these offerings so I can have a nicer response about these marques.....:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nah, just call it like you see brother.

I tend to be fairly critical of things if I have spent any time deep in the things being discussed. I see things the average shooter does not as it is not important to them if the piece operates for them.
    I certainly do not mean to offend.

If cost is a factor I wish you well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    A true GI piece is by design rough as a cob. Loose as a goose and easy to run but clunky at best.

There are a few nicely fit up GI appearing offerings out there. But I am not familiar enough with the Remingtons currently offered. I have owned a few and were not overly enamored by them.

The MouseMod is pretty much spot on with his assessment.
    I will have to add that I bought 2 of them a few years back when they were dirt cheap. For the money I have to say they're a good purchase. I shot both of mine approximately 150 rds each with the only issue being a poor quality magazine. I threw it away and replaced both with Chip McCormack 8 rounders. Both have been soaked in grease and sit in the rear of the safe. There they will stay.
    I say go for it depending on price. I've had mucho trouble out of RIA, Metro, Auto Ordinance (Kahr), and other import 1911s. Troubles I had still leave a bad taste but hearsay says they've improved.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I had one, it worked fine until it didnt. Called Remington and the rep curtly informed me that when I bought "that thing" it didnt come with lifetime LIMITED warranty. Im SOL.
    Guy was a shmuck and thats my view of Remington, traded it on a P365 XL and havent looked back.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I picked up a Commander from a guy at work on the cheap. I told him I wouldn't turn AllenM loose on it for awhile so if he wanted it back he had some time. After looking into it, its not a Springfield... so I hope he buys it back soon. I don't want to dump a pile of cash into it.

Top Bottom