• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpawhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2020
    Laporte County
    I am looking for recommendations on a good left handed user friendly semi auto. Years ago I had a Sig P226 .40 Cal and I liked it but due to circumstances beyond my control I had to sell it. I do like Sig Sauer but they are really not in my price range at this time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Any of the modern service pistols will work for a southpaw. Glock, Sig P320, Walther PPQ, Smith M&P. You can easily find the guns, mags and holsters. Pick one and learn to shoot it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The biggest thing will be the ambidextrous slide release. Most have the reversible mag release.

I know the G****s, 5th gen for sure, maybe 4th, have the ambi slide release.

HK VP-9 is good on both. Same for the Walther PPQ. Sig P320 & the 2.0 M&P's too.

Another aspect to consider is gear, holsters in particular. Make sure you can get a good quality holster for lefty's.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The CZ P10 series are lefty friendly. The later ones have a swappable mag release but the early ones are completely ambidextrous in both mag and slide release. Both of my P10Cs are the early type which I prefer over the later style due to the fully ambidextrous nature of them. They can sometimes be found for well under $500 new and under $400 used.

As a bonus, they fit most Glock 19/23 holsters and have a very good trigger.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The biggest thing will be the ambidextrous slide release. Most have the reversible mag release.

I know the G****s, 5th gen for sure, maybe 4th, have the ambi slide release.

HK VP-9 is good on both. Same for the Walther PPQ. Sig P320 & the 2.0 M&P's too.
    I got small hands, so there's no way I can use a thumb on a standard release, so they're always right where they should be for my left index finger to sweep it.

Another aspect to consider is gear, holsters in particular. Make sure you can get a good quality holster for lefty's.
    THIS.

I've got a CZ P07 sitting at home because I can't find a holster I like for it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Old school:
    Ruger P-series, especially the DC models. Ambi without modification, except the slide release, and I never use that anyway.
    Advantages: usually inexpensive (depending on model), utterly reliable, good customer service
    Disadvantages: can be heavy and bulky, limited aftermarket

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    CDNN Sig trade ins..

^^THIS^^

Tou can find Sig 229/226 trade ins in 40 for 400 or less.
    Plan B would be FN 509 for FNS as well as HK with paddle mag release are some already ambient friendly with no need to swap lag releases. Several il ther makes as mentioned one only needs to switch the mag release

Good Luck

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Ambi slide stops/slide release whatever you call them are nice but not necessary. Just slingshot the slide. Works on all guns and with either hand. Wet gun, cold gun, wearing gloves, arthritic hands just works.

Swapping the magazine release is nice because it gets it out of the way. Interestingly enough my wife is a lefty and she leaves the Mag releases alone. Why? Because all of our handguns are setup the same way. Plus she likes 1911s and the mag release won’t swap on those. If a person really wants an ambi friendly gun look for one with a paddle magazine release like a Walther P99/PPQ M1. The PPQ also has the big ambi friendly slide release mentioned above.

Lefties have lived in a Right Handed world all of their lives. Guns are no different. Pick a quality, recognized service pistol with good support from holster makers.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Learn to shoot like a man. (purple indicates sarcasm/joke)

Any modern striker fired 9mm. As a die hard 1911, .45 ACP guy that is what I now recommend. Ammo is not prohibitively priced so you can practice.

After you get your LTC, join Shoot Point Blank. With a membership you get free rentals of any or all of their rental pistols and rifles. Buy a couple of boxes of 9mm and check out 1ne after another to see how they fit.

As for slide release, Ayoob recommends you never rely on it. After reload, simply rack the slide. This works on ALL semi autos, even the ones you are not familiar with.

My own advice. Always press check, don't count on knowing where or if there is a sight window. This works on ALL semi autos, even the ones you are not familiar with.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I shoot ambi and I understand money restraints.

What I went with was a Taurus PT 92. Mine is an AFS (Stainless/nickle) which makes it look like a pimp gun to me but I don't care.

15+ rounds in a single mag, Ambi safety that is a 3 way safe (safe/fire/decock), bunches of accessories both new and used and can be had at a modest price.

I have Beretta 92's and butt loads of other weapons but this is the one I hoist around with me. For the gun, an extra mag, ammo and a fanny pack holster I have less than $300 invested. And it shoots like a dream.

And I AM a 1911 guy who is use to carrying cocked and locked so the 3 way safe is much more to my liking than the Beretta decock only. Since it is DA I keep it on safe at the half cock with a round in the pipe.

It is like being in a western, you hit everything you aim at and can shoot all day without reloading...

Top Bottom