• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Or... you could just take a small sledge hammer and give your palm a good whack. :): I'd try it once (the pistol, not the sledge hammer) but I doubt I'd want to shoot it a lot.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've fired a cylinder full of 45-70 govt. from the 10" barrel BFR several years ago. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting but was certainly an eye opener! 3" barrel, no thanks!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing wrong with 45-70 revolvers, they have been around a long time. Made right here in Indiana.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Not saying the recoil isn't going to be stiff, but I'd bet it isn't as bad as you'd think. Just some quick looking around tells me it isn't going to be much worse than a stiff 44 mag load in a gun of the same weight. That short a barrel is not going to let the pressure build to max and actually decrease recoil over say a 7" barrel. All but one of the tested ammo appeared to me to have been intended for rifles and their longer barrels. Of course, if you'd load ammo special for that short barrel things might be a little different.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    From one extreme to another.

The recoil on the stubby would be significantly heavier than a .44 in the same configuration due to the much heavier bullet and the heavier charge weight although the lower velocity should dampen some of the sharpness of the recoil.

Top Bottom