• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting back into the 1911 game after the turd I had before. I upped my budget to $1000 this time. It will mainly be a range gun, I already have an XDm Compact 3.8 for carrying. Ive been mainly looking at Springfield because my XDm has been flawless through the years. I am open to other brands though.

So for all the 1911 guys, if you had $1000 to spend on a new 1911 right now, what would you go with?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    For this budget I'd happily recommend the Ruger SR1911 all day long. The ones I've owned and shot have been completely reliable and plenty accurate. I would also recommend them over Springfields if the plan is to remain stock. I have not been impressed with a variety of stock Springfield 1911 triggers out of the box, whereas the Ruger stock triggers have all been consistently pleasant. I also like that the plunger tube on Rugers is part of the frame, not staked on. I had a plunger tube come unstaked on me with a S&W E-Series and it ended the range day for that pistol.

If you can be patient, you could luck into a used Dan Wesson for at or under this price right here in the INGO classifieds. I swear The Wizard sold a Pointman for a friend recently and the asking price was around $900. Going the DW route would IMHO not require any upgrades (other than maybe grips to your liking) that you may otherwise be inclined/want to do with one of the mid-pack factory offerings.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...t+competition+1911+series+70+government+model

719018520.jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting back into the 1911 game after the turd I had before. I upped my budget to $1000 this time. It will mainly be a range gun, I already have an XDm Compact 3.8 for carrying. Ive been mainly looking at Springfield because my XDm has been flawless through the years. I am open to other brands though.

So for all the 1911 guys, if you had $1000 to spend on a new 1911 right now, what would you go with?

springfield Armory.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    That's an awful lot of love for a company so willing to sell your rights down the river.

Yeah. It's still too soon for me. Although I do consider S&W products, and I own my fair share of Rugers. Both of them were sellouts back in the day. There seems to be a time limit. If a company can keep from stabbing us in the back for a decade people eventually move on.

For me if I were in that market and price range I would love to have a stainless Ruger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's an awful lot of love for a company so willing to sell your rights down the river.

I am in a love hate thing with them. I love the guns. I hate management.
    For the money you will not find a better 1911.
    This is why I buy used if I can find a good one and I have found several good ones lately for decent money.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    It will mainly be a range gun, I already have an XDm Compact 3.8 for carrying. Ive been mainly looking at Springfield because my XDm has been flawless through the years. I am open to other brands though.

Springfield Armory Range Officer is what I went with - very accurate and reliable . A 50 yard target shot standing back when I could still see open sights.
    View attachment 83794

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Thanks for all the advice so far, I was expecting someone to bring up Kimber as that was another brand I was looking at. The Ruger is intriguing as I do have several of their rifles and a 22/45 lite that I love, just never thought about them in the 1911 game. I'm going to stop in at my local shop today (Dave's in Holland) to see about that new Springfield.

I assume you are talking about Springfield? I haven't heard anything about them doing anything wrong, but would appreciate knowing if they did.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I'll add Kimber to the mix. You could buy almost any size for under $1000 from Rural King. Used Dan Wesson would be highly suggested also.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all the advice so far, I was expecting someone to bring up Kimber as that was another brand I was looking at. The Ruger is intriguing as I do have several of their rifles and a 22/45 lite that I love, just never thought about them in the 1911 game. I'm going to stop in at my local shop today (Dave's in Holland) to see about that new Springfield.
    LOVE that gunshop!! When my younger brother lived in Winslow (ex-DNR and did a lot with the Pike County State Forest), Dave's was always a trip we made. Loved chewing the fat with John and Jody, they're fantastic guys. Jody would sometimes join us on their outdoor range in the back. He's a GOOD shot!

If you like Ruger as a company, definitely give the SR1911 a look. Dave's normally has them in stock at the front counter of 1911s when you walk in. I think they're a lot of gun for the money and the couple times I've used their warranty service (NOT for my SR1911s mind you), there were no questions asked. Unlike Springfield who still hasn't responded to a warranty request I put in about 3 years ago. Honestly, I'd put my SR1911s up against my DW's any day. No, fit and finish isn't as good and the triggers aren't as nice, but I bet the Rugers would keep running with complete filth after more expensive tightly-fit 1911s start failing.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Absolutely love my Ruger SR1911. I actually sold my Springfield Loaded Champion and kept this because, at least for me, it outperformed the Springer.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    It's gotta be a used DW forget all this Rugar, SA, kimber, Tisa, RIA stuff!

DW's have their own theme music!

Why would you not carry a 1911? You can actually beat someone down with a 1911 try that with a plastic pistol!

Top Bottom