• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had my 938 about 3 months, and I find it to be the quintessential small CC that I searched for over 2 years.
    I have noticed a couple of times while shooting that my "paws" cause the safety to be pushed up/engaged as I grip the gun.

I have learned to get the web of my thumb/forefinger up as much into the beavertail of the grip as possible.
    I learned that using a Glock 26, which improved accuracy (range master taught me).
    Unfortunately, the 938 is so small that the back part of my thumb is driving the safety up when grabbing the gun.
    This can easily be overcome by concentrating on hand placement, but you see the problem in a real life situation.

Anyone else deal with this?

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    practice practice practice...or a new set of grips (thinner profile?). I really liked my P238 but issues with external safety was a deal breaker for me and the dis comfort in my hands while shooting...never could get a perfect grip

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    practice practice practice...or a new set of grips (thinner profile?). I really liked my P238 but issues with external safety was a deal breaker for me and the dis comfort in my hands while shooting...never could get a perfect grip

No shortcut to practice theme! :thumbsup:
    Interesting that I never ran across this issue with any other gun.

Train yourself to disengage the safety during the draw and leave your thumb pressing down. Just like a full size 1911. Ride the safety.
    Not a lot of real estate on a 938 to work with.

I remember you telling me that the 938 used to be a favorite CC of yours & always remembered it.
    That was a heads-up attention-getter for me and I looked for months for a 938 in my price zone. :)

You are a truth-teller: there certainly is not shortcut to practice when identifying "fix."
    In my mind I already know what to do differently and by being cognitive of it: I just need to apply the extra "technique."
    Just like someone told me once: "Train yourself..." :lol2:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Previously when you were discussing it, I believe you stated you still had the standard grips.
    Just throwing it out there for consideration:

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-grips/sigsauer/p938/rubber

I have the Hogues on mine and it really helped with overall control. I also use the mags with pinky extension.
    This is not a picture of mine, but I have one just like it.

View attachment 83940

Appreciate you taking the time. :thumbsup:
    Someone emailed me a recommendation of what they had used: a Black Arch holster.
    P9ROGQx.jpg

I have bought Houge grips for literally a dozen guns, from SW .38 special revolvers & semi-autos, to even .22LR revolvers that didn't have grip big enough to suit me.
    I had planned get the Hogue for the 938, but what is on there is fine.
    1st time I shot my Airweight SW 642 .38 special: I ran & not walked home to order better grips.
    I have to put my pinky under the mag on the Rami I just bought using the 10 rd. mag, but it isn't an issue holding on during recoil b/c of the ergonomics of it (it has different grips on it also, so maybe that helps).

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Manual safeties are a double-edged sword. They can prevent a gun from firing when you don't want it to, and they can prevent a gun from firing when you want it to.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Safety again engaged while shooting, putting only 2 mags of ammo through it.
    I thought: "Crap, my first failure," then I realized my thumb had inadvertently pushed the safety on while shooting.

I won't use it for a CC anymore unless I can deal with it: never had this happen with any other CC with a safety.
    I had a chance to buy a Sig P365 with a safety, and now I think maybe I should have.
    The 938 is the "perfect" size, I have a gun a little smaller (Beretta Tomcat .32acp), a little bigger (Kahr CT) & heftier (CZ Rami).
    Buying a P365 could take the place of 1 or 2 of the above & all 3 if I decided to really cut back.

30' on a rest.
    IKhFxVN.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The answer to my Sig 938 was a Glock 43 trade. Hated that little Sig.

There is so much I like about it after having so many of the micro, sub & compact brands.
    We'll see how it develops.
    I almost bought a 365 last week with a safety, but maybe it would do the same with my hands.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico

+1 for the Hogue BRG suggestion made earlier. Here's a from-the-rear photo of a P938 with the BRG (please ignore the G43) that may be illustrative of how these stocks might help your grip overcome the issue.

Just FWIW, I've only shot the P938 with the Hogue Black Rubber Grip stocks and have never had an inadvertent safety-on over maybe 750 rounds (mostly 124-gr standard pressure rounds but including everything from 115- to 147s, standard and +P but no +P+). It's handy and pretty amazingly easy to shoot for such a tiny thing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    +1 for the Hogue BRG suggestion made earlier. Here's a from-the-rear photo of a P938 with the BRG (please ignore the G43) that may be illustrative of how these stocks might help your grip overcome the issue.

Just FWIW, I've only shot the P938 with the Hogue Black Rubber Grip stocks and have never had an inadvertent safety-on over maybe 750 rounds (mostly 124-gr standard pressure rounds but including everything from 115- to 147s, standard and +P but no +P+). It's handy and pretty amazingly easy to shoot for such a tiny thing.

Quite a testimony about the effectiveness of the Hogue BRG for you.
    I have bought the Hogue grips for many guns, but didn't consider it for this one b/c it was fine with what came with it in ease of shootability.
    I will order some as soon as I finish up here.

Edit: they are on now!
    Thanks for showing me yours, that got me off my butt to go get some at a local LGS this pm & for Karl-just-Karl for posting it originally. :thumbsup:

By the way, I had those "ERGO DELTA GRIPs" on a SW 642 that I loved over 2 yrs. ago.
    I couldn't believe the stock grips and how they beat me up and after 1 range visit, immediately ordered those, and that solved the problem.
    It never was "fun" to shoot, but doable, at least & I viewed it simply as a CC tool.
    I now have a Kimber 6s .357 that I really love, at the end of a dozen different .38 or .357 guns.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The safety takes some getting used to. I’m really liking the p365 these days.

I finally picked up a Sig 365 with a safety, 4 mags and a holster for a great price.
    Took the 365 and the 938 to the range and felt I could get a better grip on the 365 and the safety is angled high enough not to be an
    issue with my paws.
    It was hard to let the 938 go and I really thought about keeping both but they were
    essentially the same size but then there is capacity disparity.

Last edited:

marksman1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    Columbus
    This is how I train with all my manual safety pistols, and at this point it's second nature. Can't bump it up if you're pressing it down the whole time.

As an added bonus, this typically locks your hand up nice and high into the grip where it belongs.

Top Bottom