Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sig 938: safety engaging when shooting?

User Info Menu

Sig 938: safety engaging when shooting?

I have had my 938 about 3 months, and I find it to be the quintessential small CC that I searched for over 2 years.
    I have noticed a couple of times while shooting that my "paws" cause the safety to be pushed up/engaged as I grip the gun.

I have learned to get the web of my thumb/forefinger up as much into the beavertail of the grip as possible.
    I learned that using a Glock 26, which improved accuracy (range master taught me).
    Unfortunately, the 938 is so small that the back part of my thumb is driving the safety up when grabbing the gun.
    This can easily be overcome by concentrating on hand placement, but you see the problem in a real life situation.

Anyone else deal with this?

User Info Menu

practice practice practice...or a new set of grips (thinner profile?). I really liked my P238 but issues with external safety was a deal breaker for me and the dis comfort in my hands while shooting...never could get a perfect grip
    sauce will thicken upon standing

User Info Menu

Train yourself to disengage the safety during the draw and leave your thumb pressing down. Just like a full size 1911. Ride the safety.

Not a lot of real estate on a 938 to work with.
    Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

In my opinion, the M-1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised. - Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Jr.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-The-Piker View Post
    practice practice practice...or a new set of grips (thinner profile?). I really liked my P238 but issues with external safety was a deal breaker for me and the dis comfort in my hands while shooting...never could get a perfect grip
    No shortcut to practice theme!
    Interesting that I never ran across this issue with any other gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mcapo View Post
    Train yourself to disengage the safety during the draw and leave your thumb pressing down. Just like a full size 1911. Ride the safety.
    Not a lot of real estate on a 938 to work with.
    I remember you telling me that the 938 used to be a favorite CC of yours & always remembered it.
    That was a heads-up attention-getter for me and I looked for months for a 938 in my price zone.

You are a truth-teller: there certainly is not shortcut to practice when identifying "fix."
    In my mind I already know what to do differently and by being cognitive of it: I just need to apply the extra "technique."
    Just like someone told me once: "Train yourself..."

User Info Menu

Previously when you were discussing it, I believe you stated you still had the standard grips.

Just throwing it out there for consideration:

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-gri...er/p938/rubber

I have the Hogues on mine and it really helped with overall control. I also use the mags with pinky extension.

This is not a picture of mine, but I have one just like it.

Sig-Sauer-P938-938-9-DB-AMBI-798681554300.jpg

User Info Menu

Those hogues do make a big difference. I still have the wood grips on mine and both the 238 and 938 can jump around a little.
    Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

In my opinion, the M-1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised. - Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Jr.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-just-Karl View Post
    Previously when you were discussing it, I believe you stated you still had the standard grips.
    Just throwing it out there for consideration:

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-gri...er/p938/rubber

I have the Hogues on mine and it really helped with overall control. I also use the mags with pinky extension.
    This is not a picture of mine, but I have one just like it.

Sig-Sauer-P938-938-9-DB-AMBI-798681554300.jpg

Appreciate you taking the time.
    Someone emailed me a recommendation of what they had used: a Black Arch holster.

I have bought Houge grips for literally a dozen guns, from SW .38 special revolvers & semi-autos, to even .22LR revolvers that didn't have grip big enough to suit me.
    I had planned get the Hogue for the 938, but what is on there is fine.
    1st time I shot my Airweight SW 642 .38 special: I ran & not walked home to order better grips.
    I have to put my pinky under the mag on the Rami I just bought using the 10 rd. mag, but it isn't an issue holding on during recoil b/c of the ergonomics of it (it has different grips on it also, so maybe that helps).
    Last edited by doddg; 02-12-2020 at 10:57.

User Info Menu

Manual safeties are a double-edged sword. They can prevent a gun from firing when you don't want it to, and they can prevent a gun from firing when you want it to.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

Safety again engaged while shooting, putting only 2 mags of ammo through it.
    I thought: "Crap, my first failure," then I realized my thumb had inadvertently pushed the safety on while shooting.

I won't use it for a CC anymore unless I can deal with it: never had this happen with any other CC with a safety.
    I had a chance to buy a Sig P365 with a safety, and now I think maybe I should have.
    The 938 is the "perfect" size, I have a gun a little smaller (Beretta Tomcat .32acp), a little bigger (Kahr CT) & heftier (CZ Rami).
    Buying a P365 could take the place of 1 or 2 of the above & all 3 if I decided to really cut back.

30' on a rest.

User Info Menu

The answer to my Sig 938 was a Glock 43 trade. Hated that little Sig.

I wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast