• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The biggest difference will be the choices available with a 45. You have government, commander and officer size, lightweight alloy vs. all steel frame, not to mention the different makers and their differences.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I am a HUGE fan of 10mm in a 1911 platform. That being said, if you are looking for reasons of 45 over 10mm, the first I would offer is that 45 is subsonic which, IMHO, has interior SD advantages.

The 45 gives up about 150 ft/lbs of energy to the 10mm at the muzzle using the original 10mm load. Before that number gets attacked, lets recognize that the figure is a generalization as lots of lite 10 mm loads exist and a fair number of really hot loads are available . Bottom line? Both hit with a wallop at SD ranges.

Other will chime in but I am going to say this one is personal preference. Neither is wrong choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will not talk you out of it. 10mm is a serious SD round if you load the mag with the proper SD round.
    I am a dyed in the wool .45 ACP 1911fanboy. Always have been. But since the 10mm has crept into my life I find it to be the big daddy of the 2 offerings.

I will occasionally EDC my 10mm TRP and feel as comfortable with it as I do with the .45. The characteristics are different between the 2 guns be sure of that and yes, range time 1st.

My only concern is which 1911 you choose.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have no direct knowledge of those 10mm offerings. Folks that own them seem happy.
    Manf says full hose SD rounds are OK to run in them.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Go with the 10mm! I''m 70+ and have carried a 1911 from 8 years old running a trap line to today. About 4 years ago I Bought a STI Perfect 10 in the 2011 setup. It does everything the .45 ACP does but will reach out farther. It has more recoil so shot times are slower. It is as easy to reload as the .45 but you use lighter bullets most times. I have seen what both do to coyotes and like the damage of the .45 up close but at longer distances the 10mm wins for me. I reload to the max for my carry rounds which will shoot though the doors on both sides of cars. My .45's normally won't.

GO WITH THE 10 mm!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK this thread and some other discussions had me on line yesterday finding/ordering/paying for the parts to re-fit this 1911 to 10mm. Research what's involved and get back with me. Therapy and group are scheduled tonight in the church basement.

XbLTBCV.jpg

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    OK this thread and some other discussions had me on line yesterday finding/ordering/paying for the parts to re-fit this 1911 to 10mm. Research what's involved and get back with me. Therapy and group are scheduled tonight in the church basement.

Is there a build thread for this conversion or have you not started yet?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The argument against 10MM (or 45, or 40, or etc) is just what you said. Recoil and time to get multiple shots on target. That being said, just get a gun and practice with it. No amount of going down in caliber/ft lbs on target can substitute for lack of practice. Run what you brung.

I carry a .40 only because that was the caliber for my first pistol and over the years I just learned to shoot it. And as people switch .40 for 9m I've found great deals on .40 magazines and ammo so I've got too much in .40 stock to switch.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom