• ...and so much more!
  • flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Many many years ago, I had a blued Series 70. I had some work done on it by Don Peters (RIP) and it was a great pistol. Have had many .45's since then but sold them all. I am now heavily into Glock 9mm, and will remain so for, my own reasons.

I've always regretted selling my Series 70. Yesterday was looking at https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/478041-top-ten-production-1911-yankee-marshall.html. As luck would have it, or the 1911 Gods, I got offered a Colt Stainless Govt model series 70 at a could not refuse price. Keep in mind that I have NO .45's so the deal was that good. My problem is what to do with it. I'm not going to sell it so THAT'S off the table:):

Thinking about the following:
    Sights of course
    Commander Hammer (Not a fan of the bite)
    Solid Bushing
    Lower ejection port
    Has some kind of Shok- Buff in it now that I'm not a big fan of so needs replaced with ??

MAYBE:
    New barrel
    Complete "Melt" or at least round off the sharp edges
    Frame checkering
    Flat mainspring housing
    Refinish as it's got some scratches and is pretty worn- Maybe 2 tone if possible.

This will probably be the only 1911 or .45 I will ever own. Planning on passing it to my grandson so would like it to be extremely functional but a decent looking piece.
    How far would you go if this was yours? Money is not unlimited but could probably put in 1k.

Bob

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man where to start.

Nice list you have. All of those items are pretty sweet. Do everything you want to do. The barrel might be a push depending on your intensions and current round count. A hand fit bushing is always an improvement and a standard upgrade for me.

Ignition controls. EGW/Hammer and Slide and others make some very nice packages that with just a small amount of effort will yield a trigger from the 1911 Gods.
    And yes this is a standard upgrade for me.

Yup....do the E-Port.

Yup....Flat spring housing.

Loose the buffer and re-spring it.

Grips. So much you can do here.

Consider a mag well. Smith and Allen is one I like.

As to finish, that's a personal thing.

Pics. Lets see it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Many many years ago, I had a blued Series 70. I had some work done on it by Don Peters (RIP) and it was a great pistol. Have had many .45's since then but sold them all. I am now heavily into Glock 9mm, and will remain so for, my own reasons.

I've always regretted selling my Series 70. Yesterday was looking at https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/478041-top-ten-production-1911-yankee-marshall.html. As luck would have it, or the 1911 Gods, I got offered a Colt Stainless Govt model series 70 at a could not refuse price. Keep in mind that I have NO .45's so the deal was that good. My problem is what to do with it. I'm not going to sell it so THAT'S off the table:):

Thinking about the following:
    Sights of course
    Commander Hammer (Not a fan of the bite)
    Solid Bushing
    Lower ejection port
    Has some kind of Shok- Buff in it now that I'm not a big fan of so needs replaced with ??

MAYBE:
    New barrel
    Complete "Melt" or at least round off the sharp edges
    Frame checkering
    Flat mainspring housing
    Refinish as it's got some scratches and is pretty worn- Maybe 2 tone if possible.

This will probably be the only 1911 or .45 I will ever own. Planning on passing it to my grandson so would like it to be extremely functional but a decent looking piece.
    How far would you go if this was yours? Money is not unlimited but could probably put in 1k.

Bob

Congrats on the new .45! Is it actually a new reproduction stainless Series 70 or is it an older nickel one that people often confuse with stainless? What you can do with it will make a big difference depending on what it actually is. The next step is do you want to keep it somewhat original looking or really pimp it out? If you want to keep it somewhat original I use the Harrison design retro rear sight and (whatever front sight you like) so it uses the original dovetail, after that there are so many nice sights out there everybody has their preference but machining will be required. If you use a commander hammer plan on putting a fitted beavertail in as well which will be more $$. Stainless series 70's will already have a solid bushing so that's what made me think you might have an old one, that and you said there were a lot of scratches and it 'was pretty worn'. With my blued retro series 70 I kept the original barrel and just used a Harrison Design bushing and it's as accurate now as a match barrel but I wanted to keep the Colt marked barrel. Good call on lowering the ejection port and you might want to swap out the ejector as well. Definitely ditch the shock-buff, you don't need it. Flat mainspring housing is personal preference but an easy fix. The checkering will be the biggest expense if you choose to go that route. I'd swap out the original steel trigger (if it's an old one) and replace with Harrison Design components, I used to use C&S, then EGW, now I use Harrison Design exclusively (if you change out the sear you may need a new thumb safety), they also offer a bobbed and rounded traditional spur hammer that won't bite. Bear in mind if it turns out to be an older nickel one (they didn't make old ones in stainless), you'll have to have the nickel stripped prior to getting it worked on. Here's my blued Series 70 that i'm still working on but am keeping it retro. If it's an old one take CM's advice and get new springs all around, they're cheap.

yt0cYah.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of my recent stainless 70 series.....
    I had the roll marks removes. There are a few other things like the ball cut at the top of the side to define the curve. I taped it off and glass bead finished the rest. Stan Chen mag well.
    You can see the brass on the front sight......My bad...:):

Rqk8Hjk.jpg

I did not modify the E-port but the serrations were cut in after the roll marks were removed.
    gWTnUwB.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have one of the stainless repros (xse). If it is like mine, it could use the ejection port work, it could also use a good dehorning as the edges are very sharp in places.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Per the serial number, it was made in 1973. I am somewhat surprised if it not stainless. This would open up even more possibilities:spend:
    Appreciate all the pics and suggestions to.......enablers! LOL

Bob

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I don't know if this helps but I have a Colt Custom Competition Stainless and it is a great pistol. Pretty much everything I would want in a target gun. I have other carry 1911's so this one will stay in a target gun configuration.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Per the serial number, it was made in 1973. I am somewhat surprised if it not stainless. This would open up even more possibilities:spend:
    Appreciate all the pics and suggestions to.......enablers! LOL

Bob

If it was 1973 it's definitely a nickel gun, they didn't make stainless guns until around 1983 at the earliest and those would be series 80 versions. Being a nickel gun you can still change the sights, mainspring housing, trigger etc. but you won't be able to do anything machining wise/dehorning etc. Not much you can do about the finish either. If you got it for a really good price it might be worth it as a project gun to get it de-plated but it will likely be around 100.00 plus shipping and then you have to refinish it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well crap. May just change sights, springs, trigger and call it a day. That does mean I may have to get another one though. 1 is none .....:ingo:

Bob

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a Colt Combat Commander from the early 70's, sights were the only thing I changed on it. It is that satin nickel... not a great finish as far as keeping it looking nice for years...

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Why change it. Original 70 series guns are good to go.
    Anyone can dope up a newer gun and make it look like any other 1911 with the bells and whistles.

1) Can't see those tiny little sights.
    2) No idea on how old the springs are.
    3) Trigger just doesn't feel right for me.

You're right though. May just punt and get something new or just put it away for a just in case weapon. :dunno:

Bob

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1) Can't see those tiny little sights.
    2) No idea on how old the springs are.
    3) Trigger just doesn't feel right for me.

You're right though. May just punt and get something new or just put it away for a just in case weapon. :dunno:

Bob

Spend some time and dollars on the ignition controls and the sights and have fun with it. Maybe some grips. Leave the finish/patina.

Top Bottom