• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Took the new P365 to the range today for its first outing. Short version: Gun was great, I sucked a bit.

Clipped one of those large paper targets with several 6-inch bulls onto the holder and put it to use at 5, 7 and 10 yards. Ran about half a dozen mags through my Shield to say hello to it and to give me a baseline for comparison. With the Shield, shot up the center bull nicely with a child’s fist-size hole you could see through and decided OK, time to bring out the new one! (Mr. Patience I am not.)

Got after it with first a 50-count box of 124 grain jacketed ball, then a 50-count box of 124 grain Federal HST, then a 50-count box of jacketed 124 grain jacketed ball. Little bit slow at first to get the feel for the reset, then picked it up the pace with pairs and such. Also did some strong-hand only.

Accuracy alternated from lovely to acceptable – and the deviation toward acceptable was on me. Still nursing a slide-bite cut from last weekend from that little Beretta Tomcat for which my paw is too fat, and I reopened that slice.

So, I think was a bit of wuss today, to which I’m attributing the five shots I threw outside of the circles. Can’t put those on the gun; that was me. Also attributing the 3 failure to feeds to the same thing (limp wristing). On all three, gun went ever so slightly into not-full battery. The “tap” of the “tap-rack-bang” took care of it.

All in all, I’d say the gun performed very nicely … after I put on a Band-Aid and pushed down my skirt.

I may add some Talon grip tapes (the rubbery ones), but I don’t think this gun needs much to work for me. Trigger felt pretty sweet, and I like that front sight. I’ll give it a few more range trips before it becomes a carry gun, ‘cause I’m like that. But, all in all, I was favorably impressed by this little Sig.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for the range report. I too have a P365 and need to get to the range to check it out. First firearm that I have ever owned that was intended to but didn't make it to a range within a few months of purchase.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    I recently picked up a p365 for the wife and liked it so much I am thinking of buying the XL to replace my 4.0 xds.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I picked up a P365 last summer and have not shot it as much as I would like too. I just don't see that green front sight very well at my covered range. I suppose I really need to get my new prescription glasses. Still the P365 has sort of put my Smith Shield into retirement as I have never fired since it buying the P365.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I just bought a Sig P365 a couple of weeks ago and have put 100 rounds through it. The only malfunction i had was failure to lock back on the last round but after watching some videos i put the blame on me not the gun. My thumb was touching the slide release and it doesn't take much pressure to prevent the slide from locking back.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I just bought a Sig P365 a couple of weeks ago and have put 100 rounds through it. The only malfunction i had was failure to lock back on the last round but after watching some videos i put the blame on me not the gun. My thumb was touching the slide release and it doesn't take much pressure to prevent the slide from locking back.

Yeah, I'll be taking this weekend off from centerfire handguns and let that slice on my web heel up so I don't keep popping it open. I think it was a distraction last weekend and I wasn't gunning very naturally.
    Think I'll just run out the Ruger Mk III 22/45 and S&W 18-2 this weekend. Get my hour of range time in with the little caliber. Don't want my skirt blowing up again; it's so embarrassing. waaa
    Not much choice, as I'm a slow healer; dang blood thinners. But I'm also not staying home!
    When the P365 goes back out the weekend after, it will be wearing the rubbery-textured Talon grips, and I'm going to try an NDZ short mag extension on the 10-rounder to give that gun a little more pinky purchase & a tiny bit more weight in the heel. Got meaty mitts, and that little gun wants to squirm in 'em.
    But I do think I'll come to enjoy it with some trigger time.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    Has anyone shot the SAS p365? I’m trying to decide between that and the XL but none of my local gun stores have them...or can keep them in that long. I think it’s a neat design and really curious on the sight picture and target acquisition ability.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, I'll be taking this weekend off from centerfire handguns and let that slice on my web heel up so I don't keep popping it open. I think it was a distraction last weekend and I wasn't gunning very naturally.
    Think I'll just run out the Ruger Mk III 22/45 and S&W 18-2 this weekend. Get my hour of range time in with the little caliber. Don't want my skirt blowing up again; it's so embarrassing. waaa
    Not much choice, as I'm a slow healer; dang blood thinners. But I'm also not staying home!
    When the P365 goes back out the weekend after, it will be wearing the rubbery-textured Talon grips, and I'm going to try an NDZ short mag extension on the 10-rounder to give that gun a little more pinky purchase & a tiny bit more weight in the heel. Got meaty mitts, and that little gun wants to squirm in 'em.
    But I do think I'll come to enjoy it with some trigger time.

I run my 365 with the 12 round mags. Makes a big difference in grip for me.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Has anyone shot the SAS p365? I’m trying to decide between that and the XL but none of my local gun stores have them...or can keep them in that long. I think it’s a neat design and really curious on the sight picture and target acquisition ability.

I have both and wrote this:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/474392-sig-sauer-p365-sas-first-impressions.html

The SAS is ideal for pocket carry and accurate enough for typical defensive encounters if you can get used to covering the target with the sights.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute

Roger that, and I've got two of the 12-rounders and two of the 10-rounders. I like that 12-rounder, too. Very comfy.
    But I'd like to run a 10-round mag for pocket carry (with the Sig in a pocket holster, of course). Will see how the NDZ feels. If I don't like it, can always go back to factory-flush floorplate.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    I put the Crimson Trace laser on mine. On the reset my finger gets pinched. Replaced the factory curved trigger with the factory straight trigger and it has helped. Going to have to make slight adjustments to the CT where the plastic clips into the trigger guard

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis

I definitely second this... for me, the difference in shootability with the 12 round mags versus the 10 rounders was huge. As I've gotten more comfortable with the P365 that gap has narrowed, but it's still a difference maker. I also think there is virtually no difference in "printing" from the 10 rounder, at least how I wear mine.

I also feel like I shoot it better with 115 grain ammo, but I could be making that up in my head.

TitanUp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Carmel
    Thanks for the report. I purchased one a few months back. Unfortunately haven’t made it to the range yet but this fun fascinated me. I love it way more than my G43. I’m excited to get to the range and see how she handles.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Yes, the 12-rounder is easier to handle the P365. I load the 12 when it's IWB and use the 10 when I pocket carry it. It's such a easy shooting carry gun and it has eaten all type of ammo. Don't have any 15 round mags; the ones that came with the XL version. Anyone tried them with the standard P365?

Top Bottom