• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Back in the late 80’s in Washington State I bought and carried an alloy, light weight framed Colt .38 spcl six shot revolver in an ankle holster.
    It looked like a 70’s model Detective Special.
    It was not blue steel, or nickel, but an alloy as I have mentioned.

It had a black rubber grip, and I sold it after transferring here at the Indy 1500 in 1993.

I have googled Commando/Agent, but can’t seem to dig one up.

The finish was a matte silver.

i wished I would have kept it.

Thanks

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Colt Cobra maybe, I've not seen one in electroless nickle, but that was a popular finish for Colt on Commanders. The Agent was revived for a while in the 80s in sort of a parkerized finish. Not as good a quality as the Cobra or Detective Special.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Something like this, but plated? I think this is one of the original Agents. It dates to about 1964 IIRC. The patina came from 20 something years carried in an IMPD officer’s ankle holster.

ad1f8db571126b6bf023596ccfd7422c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    It had the enclosed ejector, like a post 70's model DS, geez I think I got Biden disease, cant remember S?!T anymore.
    But I also did not GOOGLE enough, and your right Leadeye, I guess it was a "COBRA" of the 1970's-1980's as mentioned here:

The Cobra was made in two models: the First Model, made from 1950-1971 and weighing 15 ounces unloaded with 2-inch barrel, and an improved Second Model, made from 1972-1981, recognizable by its shrouded ejector rod, with an unloaded weight of 16 ounces. The Cobra is the same overall size and configuration as the famous Colt Detective Special and uses the same size "D" frame, except that the Cobra's frame is constructed of lightweight aluminum alloy as compared to the all-steel frame of the Detective Special. In the mid-1960s, the Detective Special's and Cobra's grip frame was shortened to the same size as that of the Agent.

Boy, like I said...…………. I wish I still had one:

https://www.guncollectorsclub.com/cobra.htm

Thanks for the replies everybody:ingo:.

Last edited:

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Just to add another option...if it had a 4” barrel it could have been a Viper. Which is actually a pretty rare species of the snake line up. :)

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Here's my D Frame Colts. Upper right is my pocket carried long frame Cobra. 95% of anodizing is gone. The others are a DS, another Cobra and an Agent. In 1986 Colt factory workers went on a 4 year long strike. Management and non union workers filled in and tried to keep up with demand. Some unusual finishes and quality issues are attributed to this period.
    Also read about "Coltguard" applied to some Cobras (about 2/3 page down) in this link.

Cobra

tTgJ5Lh.jpg

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Here's my D Frame Colts. Upper right is my pocket carried long frame Cobra. 95% of anodizing is gone. The others are a DS, another Cobra and an Agent. In 1986 Colt factory workers went on a 4 year long strike. Management and non union workers filled in and tried to keep up with demand. Some unusual finishes and quality issues are attributed to this period.
    Also read about "Coltguard" applied to some Cobras (about 2/3 page down) in this link.

Cobra

tTgJ5Lh.jpg
    "Coltguard" Haven't heard that word in a long time. Some SP 1 Colt rifles had that finish. Pricey today. Neat Colt link also. Thank you.

Top Bottom