Any recommendations on a good reliable 1911, at an affordable price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, affordable means different things to different people. But generally you get what you pay for, to a certain extent.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    A direct answer for the OP.

I still like Springfields, despite their objectionable actions that will never be forgotten in the gun community.

Springfield Mil-Spec. You can upgrade parts in time if you want. Decent foundation to build from. What I consider affordably priced.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like Springfields, but that is the only brand I have owned in recent years.

CM, what's the story on the SA Ronin? They look kinda sharp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like Springfields, but that is the only brand I have owned in recent years.

CM, what's the story on the SA Ronin? They look kinda sharp.

I have no direct experience with them as yet. Good looking piece. Seems to be priced fairly for what one expects from SA.

Anybody own one yet.....?????

Opinions on it...….?????

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are lots of good 1911s for the money at various price points. There’s a lot of machine work that goes into a 1911 and that means that there are a lot of tolerances to be managed. As you climb the price ladder with 1911s, you get better tolerance management in each gun.

Imagine a stack of pennies. Each penny can have a tolerance for how it’s stacked. If that stack has a 1% tolerance for each penny, you will generally get a somewhat neat stack that does not fall over at 100 pennies tall. Each penny will stack in a Radom direction, canceling each other’s tolerance out. Sometimes though, the tolerances stack in one direction and the stack won’t stand on it’s own with so many pennies stacked to one side.

As you climb the 1911 quality and price ladder, you get smaller penny stack tolerances and more attention paid to how those tolerances are stacking up. Lower end 1911s put them out there and most have tolerances that stack in a way that work fine. Occasionally though, you get a marginal one that has issues.

What most people want in a good 1911 is a penny stack that’s solid, even if not perfect in form. A Springer, Ruger and some others will give that to you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are lots of good 1911s for the money at various price points. There’s a lot of machine work that goes into a 1911 and that means that there are a lot of tolerances to be managed. As you climb the price ladder with 1911s, you get better tolerance management in each gun.

Imagine a stack of pennies. Each penny can have a tolerance for how it’s stacked. If that stack has a 1% tolerance for each penny, you will generally get a somewhat neat stack that does not fall over at 100 pennies tall. Each penny will stack in a Radom direction, canceling each other’s tolerance out. Sometimes though, the tolerances stack in one direction and the stack won’t stand on it’s own with so many pennies stacked to one side.

As you climb the 1911 quality and price ladder, you get smaller penny stack tolerances and more attention paid to how those tolerances are stacking up. Lower end 1911s put them out there and most have tolerances that stack in a way that work fine. Occasionally though, you get a marginal one that has issues.

What most people want in a good 1911 is a penny stack that’s solid, even if not perfect in form. A Springer, Ruger and some others will give that to you.

And this is where we in our industry(automotive) experience stack tolerance. You have to maintain tight enough tolerances that if every component is at the extreme end of the tolerance allowance, it will still fit together and function as designed.:)

Top Bottom