• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm thinking about getting a braced pistol as hard times are coming my way and won't be able to buy anything for a looooong time, my choices are PTR 9CT and B&T GHM9. Also considering HK SP5 but is almost double the price of the others, is the PTR a good reliable firearm? (half the price of the HK). Witch one is the best choice for long term ownership and reliability?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    On HKPro (main HK gun owners site), there have been a ton of complaints about quality control on the PTRs. So you may luck out, but be wary.

If you can find a Zenith, they seem to be mostly good to go. The HK SP5 will be top quality and will hold it's value, but as you said, quite pricey.

I've had a few Omegas (their MP5 and MP5SD variants) and have found them pretty good, especially when they are upgraded with the Moore Advanced Dynamics MAX bolt head (really improves reliability of extraction on MP5 platform over old original HK design). So, if you can find an Omega, you should be good to go. I personally have easily 5K or more rounds through mine on full auto and it's a beast that just runs.

I'd also stay away from POF, they can be hit or miss. Also avoid old Special Weapons, Coharie, Bobcat, and Vector MP5s, unless you really love to tinker with stuff and can get it for a steal ($1k or less).

Finally, regardless of variant, stay away from the ETS plastic MP5 mags. They are complete garbage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Finally, regardless of variant, stay away from the ETS plastic [STRIKE]MP5[/STRIKE] mags. They are complete garbage.

At least on the "standard capacity" mags (30), its serious hit or miss. Out of the 3 I have owned, only 1 was reliable. The other 2 would jam bullets. Id get a FTF and look and it wouldnt feed a round. I'd pull the mag and the top 3-5 bullets would be flopping around. I'd turn it upside down and dump out the loose rounds, and the top rounds left behind were actually jammed a couple inches down. (bullets were jamming, not the follower)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ruger just released a PC charger that's very affordable and will have brace options. I have no experience with them, but it's going to be a much more compact, packable and affordable option.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Have you thought about going the SBR route? Turn around time for and electronically submitted form 1 is right at 30 days. Can file as an individual or can get a trust from silencershop easily and relatively cheap.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well after a lot of thought I went ahead and order the HK SP5, I also was able find some HK OEM 30 rdn magazines. for a very longtime I wanted the original but like we all know they were not been imported and the price was astronomical, sadly I don't think this will available for long and I doubt we will see them in any numbers anytime soon so I think they are a great investment. I just hope I don't run into any issues getting it with all that is happening right now.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Well after a lot of thought I went ahead and order the HK SP5, I also was able find some HK OEM 30 rdn magazines. for a very longtime I wanted the original but like we all know they were not been imported and the price was astronomical, sadly I don't think this will available for long and I doubt we will see them in any numbers anytime soon so I think they are a great investment. I just hope I don't run into any issues getting it with all that is happening right now.
    I know you said that you’re looking for a pistol, keep in mind HK has said on social media that they’re voiding warranties if you SBR and engraved the gun.

if you’re ever near NWI It can let you compare the HK to a Zenith Z5RS.

anyway you go, it’s a great gun, enjoy the smoothest shooting 9mm PCC you’ll find. Definitely a pleasure to shoot. Just remember NP5s don’t like flat nosed projectiles. And if you don’t have a can yet... you will

bmiller07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Have you looked at the Stribog sp9a1? I ordered one online and currently on delay from atf, sad panda cause it’s sitting at my local gun shop less than a mile away and I can’t have it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    View attachment 85224
    This thread got me thinking about a pistol I seen years ago. It was a 1911 with a wood stock on it like the one in this picture. I'm sure this would be considered an SBR now days. Why not make a pistol brace for 1911's now. Wouldn't that be a way around the SBR title?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    View attachment 85224
    This thread got me thinking about a pistol I seen years ago. It was a 1911 with a wood stock on it like the one in this picture. I'm sure this would be considered an SBR now days. Why not make a pistol brace for 1911's now. Wouldn't that be a way around the SBR title?

I think there's a special carved-out niche in the NFA regs for some authentic pistols and stocks like this to still be considered pistols. But they, along with the Englis P35s and some Lugers have to be of a certain age and of a certain serial # range to qualify. But good luck finding one that actually qualifies... There's also a niche carved out for certain old Trapper model Winchester rifles. They need to be in certain calibers within a certain serial range in order to not be considered SBRs - even though they're like 12-15" barrels.

There's even a company selling a new version of this with a 16" barrel. Rock River, I think. So to remain legal, you install the long barrel then put the stock on. Because if you put the stock on the short barreld pistol, in the privacy of your own home, with no witnesses, you've just committed a felony.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think there's a special carved-out niche in the NFA regs for some authentic pistols and stocks like this to still be considered pistols. But they, along with the Englis P35s and some Lugers have to be of a certain age and of a certain serial # range to qualify. But good luck finding one that actually qualifies... There's also a niche carved out for certain old Trapper model Winchester rifles. They need to be in certain calibers within a certain serial range in order to not be considered SBRs - even though they're like 12-15" barrels.

There's even a company selling a new version of this with a 16" barrel. Rock River, I think. So to remain legal, you install the long barrel then put the stock on. Because if you put the stock on the short barreld pistol, in the privacy of your own home, with no witnesses, you've just committed a felony.

Thanks for that good information Tactic

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    May be coming in to this late but I have a PTR 9KT and haven’t had a hiccup with it. I ran around 350 rounds through it during the break in period and have put about 800 rounds of steel case Wolf through it since. Knock on wood - it’s hasn’t missed a beat. I just ran it bone stock in a pistol caliber carbine class last weekend.

I’m using POF mags from Atlantic Firearms - it came with 2 ETS mags. They’ve run fine but I prefer metal mags.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I know you said that you’re looking for a pistol, keep in mind HK has said on social media that they’re voiding warranties if you SBR and engraved the gun.

Almost certainly not legal for them to actually void a warranty on those grounds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Almost certainly not legal for them to actually void a warranty on those grounds.

Agreed. If not even opening up a product can void a warranty anymore, (Magnusson Moss act) I cant see how a bunch of highly organized and coordinated scratches in the finish would void it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Agreed. If not even opening up a product can void a warranty anymore, (Magnusson Moss act) I cant see how a bunch of highly organized and coordinated scratches in the finish would void it.

They would basically have to prove that the engraving was the source of the failure. So perhaps it could have an effect on a finish warranty, or if the gun broke exactly where the engraving, that would be legit. But if the extractor breaks? That's still covered.

Top Bottom