• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Three weeks ago I met a shooting buddy at the range to work on a few drills with a New Python. It went down at 30 rounds of 38 special. No worries, he had his old blued one with him as a backup. Cylinder skipped on shot 4, again with .38 specials. I wasn’t going to say anything but I Read the Keefe report today in the AR magaizine and it sounds like poppykosh.

I got his permission to report our experience as he is giving up on the pretty snakes.

IMHO the first runs were bad and these are worse. Good looking paperweight though.:)::)::rockwoot:

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I had light primer strike issues 30 years ago with a brand new Colt Peecekeeper DA revolver Colt didnt want to fix it so I picked up a 686 and never looked back.

I dry fired a new Python when the first batch came out. As a pretty competent revolver guy I thought the DA pull was way too light for reliable ignition.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I put 500 rounds through a '69 E series without a glitch (had to wipe off cylinder off and on, was burning Unique).
    That yrs ago.

Put a couple hundred through before deer season. Got drenched, had to tear gun down, worked fine when back together.

Custom Shop trigger job, not the lightest, the next one up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I said this when they 1st put these out there.
    Overpriced paper weights.

I owned a few in the day and they needed repaired multiple times. I just can not see what the big freaking deal is.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I said this when they 1st put these out there.
    Overpriced paper weights.

I owned a few in the day and they needed repaired multiple times. I just can not see what the big freaking deal is.

Gol-dang-it, they look sooo coool on TV.

If it was not for the work (both good and bad) Hollywood does guns would be nowhere near as popular as they are...

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Never been a Colt fan. First gun was a King Cobra and it must have been built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon. I will never own another Colt.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The new Python is NOT a $1500 Revolver. The only reason is marketing of the little prancing horse. Any S&W 686 will outlast and be more reliable than the new Python any day of the week. There is another company with a prancing horse on its trademark but, did I say but, it symbolizes something truly special. LOL

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    The new Python is NOT a $1500 Revolver. The only reason is marketing of the little prancing horse. Any S&W 686 will outlast and be more reliable than the new Python any day of the week. There is another company with a prancing horse on its trademark but, did I say but, it symbolizes something truly special. LOL

Ohhh lemme guess, maybe a company that makes Italian sportscars? Of maybe a German company that makes sportscars?

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I really wanted the new Python. There are many angry people on the internet with similar reports.

I'm a member of a Colt revolver Facebook group that has admins that refuse to hear any of it and have dropped the ban on several who spoke ill of the new Colts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Bought a used 4" Python in the late 1980s and was about as excited as I ever have been buying a gun. Even as a kid I always though the Python with that vent rib barrel was the epitome of 357 revolvers. Now I finally had one in my hands , the bluing was almost mirror -like , a truly beautiful gun!

Shooting the same loads I had fired through my 686 and GP100 I could not shoot the Python as well as the other two. I changed grips and still the same results. Those were the days when I had great vision to shoot open sights. I was extremely disappointed to say the least. I ended up not keeping the Python long.

Had I know it would eventually go up in value 5 or 6 times what I paid I probably would have tried to keep it.

Top Bottom