• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Can someone school me on the AR Pistol and Form 4473.
    If you buy a stripped lower on form 4473 the FFL will mark it as "other" since at the point of purchase it is not a rifle or pistol.
    Q1) So if you use that stripped lower and build an AR pistol is that still OK?
    Q2) Or those the lower need to start "life" on the Form 4473 as a pistol for you to make it into a pistol and be ok?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Stripped lower should always say other, regardless of what your intentions are. At the point of sale, it’s not a long gun, and it’s not a pistol. Therefore, it’s an other. It’s like the third gender of the gun world. Paint it pink, and call it Hello Kenny. Be a trend setter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The only way a pistol is a no-go is if you buy/transfer a rifle. If it starts as a pistol or other it can become anything else and turned back again.

Have I mentioned we have a pretty Sh**ty bunch of nonsensical rules here? Just sayin.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Case in point...

a58b7a4b34b43a150c0cd6b20225847f--glock-guns-nd-amendment.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Can someone school me on the AR Pistol and Form 4473.
    If you buy a stripped lower on form 4473 the FFL will mark it as "other" since at the point of purchase it is not a rifle or pistol.
    Q1) So if you use that stripped lower and build an AR pistol is that still OK?
    Q2) Or those the lower need to start "life" on the Form 4473 as a pistol for you to make it into a pistol and be ok?

a stripped lower should be marked as "other" and should only be sold to a resident who lives in the same state as the dealer, and to someone who's over 21!

for example, if the dealer sold a stripped lower to a 19 year old resident of Kentucky and marked it on the 4473 as a rifle, what happens if the 19yo builds it as a pistol?...the Indiana dealer could get nabbed for violating federal law!

the stupidity of federal law, a lower built with a stock on it is a rifle, a lower with a pistol brace on it is a pistol, a lower without either is a "other" and can be built as either :dunno:

another stupidity of federal law, my 14.5 inch upper (with a flash hider) is 16 inches long, but since the flash hider isn't pinned or welded, I have to have it on a pistol lower, IF I have it pinned and welded, I can put it on a rifle upper, my 16 inch upper cant be put on my pistol lower:dunno:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks all.
    Now I have a headache reading all about this and that pic as well.

try working in a gun shop!!!!!!!!! I cant tell you how many times I had to explain why I legally couldn't do something, only to be told by the person on the other side of the counter that I was wrong!

oh dear god don't get me started on the whole shockwave/tac14/black aces shotgun bull:poop:!!!

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    try working in a gun shop!!!!!!!!! I cant tell you how many times I had to explain why I legally couldn't do something, only to be told by the person on the other side of the counter that I was wrong!

oh dear god don't get me started on the whole shockwave/tac14/black aces shotgun bull:poop:!!!

I'll bite. What's the deal with the whole shockwave/tac14/black aces shotgunbull:poop:? Does the birds head handle make it something totally different?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Are you sure you weren't wrong? I've run into a couple dealers that didn't know the law etc.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'll bite. What's the deal with the whole shockwave/tac14/black aces shotgunbull:poop:? Does the birds head handle make it something totally different?

those are "other", a Mossberg with a 18 inch barrel and a pistol grip, is a pistol, a shockwave with a birdheads grip is an "other" but with a shoulder stock is a sbs, but with a pistol brace is "other", if a shotgun comes from the factory with a stock installed its a shotgun, BUT if it has a pistol grip installed, you cant sell it to someone under 21, and the black aces WAS an other, NOW its a sbs (per the batfe!)

Are you sure you weren't wrong? I've run into a couple dealers that didn't know the law etc.

ive had to argue with people over why I couldn't sell them a gun for example
    if you ask to see the gun, you ask all the questions, look at your buddy standing next to you, and he says "i'll take it" (suspected straw purchase)
    if you say "ill take that lower" and your license says "Kentucky" or your under 18
    if you say "but ive got a permit" AFTER nics delayed you (yes I know its bs, but its the law)
    if you say "I want that Mossberg" and I say sorry you have to be 21 to buy a handgun (pistol grip installed from the factory)

and yes, ive argued with customers over EVERY ONE of those and more!

did I know every gun law written in the united states...NO, but did I know enough to keep me out of prison...YES!!!, if I didn't know, I either called the owner of the shop, or told the customer to come back when the owner was working!

and in the 10 years I worked in a shop, I NEVER did a class 3 sale, I deferred all of those to the owner...why??? if I made a mistake, your process was delayed, not because I didn't know the law!, but because if I made a mistake on the form, your 9 month wait took longer!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't think this is correct. A pistol can have any barrel length you want AFAIK (and I worked in a gun store too). (here is my source supporting this https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/keeping-your-ar-15-pistol-build-within-legal-limits/)

Now I am not one to say that I am correct, and that is it. If I am wrong, please point me to where I can find information supporting your claim.

+1. You can have a rifle barrel that is too short, but you cannot have a pistol that has a barrel that is too long. Otherwise this wouldnt exist::)::)::):

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/112656

I know Haven wants one SOOOO bad.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom