• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    Does anyone else do this or maybe just me? Every single time I’ve purchased a new gun to carry with me, I always sell the previous one I carried. I’m not sure why. It’s pretty much automatic.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nope, you must be the only one. LOL
    I have no problem buying firearms.
    I have a HUGE problem trying to let go of them.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Does anyone else do this or maybe just me? Every single time I’ve purchased a new gun to carry with me, I always sell the previous one I carried. I’m not sure why. It’s pretty much automatic.

What is you usual cycle time for rotation? Seems like that could be a losing practice. Are you doing your research and test driving before you buy? Or perhaps you have not found the one yet?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I can see selling a cheap or budget hun to get a better one. However, like others have said if its reliable, and you shoot it well keep it or give it away as a gift.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    No... I've never sold a gun and I hope I'm never in a dire enough position to have to. That would go double for a former carry gun. Why would I sell a gun that I've bought a nice holster, spare mags, accessories, etc, all of which lose value on the secondary market (rare exceptions apply), that I've already tailored to my taste?

I'd be losing money by giving up a weapons system that I would bet my life on. That would just be goofy, IMO. I suppose if I bought something redundant that was just a step up, like maybe going to a stainless gun from a blued model, that I would consider ditching the lower model gun... but that would probably be the only case I can think of.

Or... If I was super cash strapped and started at the dead bottom and was going from a beat to death used gun, to a less beat to death gun, to a nice gun, etc then maybe I'd toss the old guns back in the sea. Basically stuff that maybe I could depend on, I'd ditch. I've been fortunate enough to have never had to buy any maybe guns.

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    Everyone’s responses make sense. It was something I realized I do and not even sure why I did. My first one was a ruger LCP. Honestly didn’t think I would need a pocket gun again I guess? Second one was a glock 43. I’m now on kimber ultra carry 2. Had this one the longest, probably 3 years now? Not sure. I don’t intend to get rid of this one though.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The only one in that list I wouldn't have held on to is the LCP... Any .380 would be a maybe gun, IMO. I own an LC9 for the "pocket" category and have considered going to an LC9S. But, my mags, holster, etc all would transfer so this would be an upgrade within the same platform, meeting situation 1 above.

But... Even at that, it looks like a used LC9 is about a $200-300 gun. No point giving up any firepower for that price, IMO. Simply add another one to the safe, or velcro it to a chair, or whatever.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay...I will be the odd man out.

I see no reason to keep something you no longer use. If I am not going to carry it, take it to the range, or it doesnt have sentimental value it needs to leave the safe to make room for new toys.

On that same note I have very seldom lost money on guns. Not saying it hasn't happened just very rarely. Usually break even or make a little which offsets the occasional loss.

Accessories and upgrades are the big money losers so those upgrades are saved for only the ones I know I am going to keep forever.

I have a CZ that I would never be able to recoup my cash but I also have NO plans on getting rid of it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Accessories and upgrades are the big money losers so those upgrades are saved for only the ones I know I am going to keep forever.

To your point, if you buy a good holster and 2 spare mags for pretty much any carry gun, and go to sell them used as a package, you're down $50-$100 right there. If you can recycle those into the same platform and keep them, cool, but OP is transitioning platforms every time. That's losing a bunch of money to do over and over for a life time even if you're selling the guns at what you paid.

I do get the argument that if you're never going to touch it again, ditch it, but I haven't bought any that I dislike that much, personally.

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    To your point, if you buy a good holster and 2 spare mags for pretty much any carry gun, and go to sell them used as a package, you're down $50-$100 right there. If you can recycle those into the same platform and keep them, cool, but OP is transitioning platforms every time. That's losing a bunch of money to do over and over for a life time even if you're selling the guns at what you paid.

I do get the argument that if you're never going to touch it again, ditch it, but I haven't bought any that I dislike that much, personally.

This is accurate. I did buy extras for the glock and lost out on them and basically sold it for the price I bought it for. The lcp had the veridian laser so it had the “wallet lookin” sleeve if ya wanna call it that. It also allowed you to leave the laser power button on and would activate when pulled out. I never bought anything else for it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have had two carry guns my whole life. The first was a Taurus 85CH and the second was a Shield. I still carry a Shield (albeit a new 2.0 w/o safety), though I am trying to see if I can get comfortable enough to carry my 2.0 Compact. If I could, I would finally have my one gun to do it all. So far, I still prefer the size and concealability of the Shield better.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    it never hurts to have an extra cheap gun you can lend to a family member, friend, neighbor, or anyone else when they need one in a pinch.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I buy a gun that I’ve never had with the intent of carrying it, I end up investing in good leather to go along with it. That pretty much kills the idea of selling it when the next new, shiny thing comes along. I don’t mind selling a gun that I don’t like but once I’ve invested in a good horsehide OWB scabbard carry setup, I don’t let them go.

Mind you, there are some guns that I’ve owned for years before I decided that they were carry worthy and needed good leather. Some never made the cut and were sold before I bought the good leather. Once I spend the money on the carry rig, it’s pretty much here for the duration.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Exactly. In with the new, out with the old.

I have a well seasoned Gen4 G19 that will be for sale as soon as I sight in the Gen5's.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Okay...I will be the odd man out.

I see no reason to keep something you no longer use. If I am not going to carry it, take it to the range, or it doesnt have sentimental value it needs to leave the safe to make room for new toys.

On that same note I have very seldom lost money on guns. Not saying it hasn't happened just very rarely. Usually break even or make a little which offsets the occasional loss.

I have a CZ that I would never be able to recoup my cash but I also have NO plans on getting rid of it.

I'll agree with parts of this. I've definitely moved out of a few items as I have transitioned various guns. I traded or sold off the Glock 43's when I went over to Sig P365 to fill that space. The 43's didn't share mags with my other Glocks anyway, and the holsters were not going to fit anything else. And I was not going back to a 43 once I had a lot more capacity in a similar sized gun that I shot better. That said I was able to recoup some of my investment even in the holsters and mags. I invested the money from selling the 43's into additional 365's, magazines, holsters, etc. If you buy right, you can usually get a large part of your money back to put into the new platform.

I did not however trade or sell out of the Glock 19 platform when I picked up some M&P 2.0 Compacts. Kept the 19's and the holsters, mags, etc. I can still use the mags in my AR9 and I can pick up one of my Glock 19's and carry it same as I might my M&P 2.0's.

When I swapped from 40 several years back, I sold off the Glock 23's and mags, but kept the holsters as they fit the Glock 19's I picked up.

Basically, if the gun is an outlier in what I carry and I have replaced it for sure and won't go back, it will get sold off, to fund backup guns on the destination platform (Glock 43's got sold to move to the P365). If I'm not sure I am definitely replacing something or still have use for it, I'll keep it (heavily invested in Glock 19 platform and kept them, even as I picked up some M&P Compact 2.0's).

If you are not a collector or accumulator, look at if the gun still matches your platform or at least standard operation you might keep it otherwise sell it depending on how it fits in your system.

Last edited:

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    I'll agree with parts of this. I've definitely moved out of a few items as I have transitioned various guns. I traded or sold off the Glock 43's when I went over to Sig P365 to fill that space. The 43's didn't share mags with my other Glocks anyway, and the holsters were not going to fit anything else. And I was not going back to a 43 once I had a lot more capacity in a similar sized gun that I shot better. That said I was able to recoup some of my investment even in the holsters and mags. I invested the money from selling the 43's into additional 365's, magazines, holsters, etc. If you buy right, you can usually get a large part of your money back to put into the new platform.

I did not however trade or sell out of the Glock 19 platform when I picked up some M&P 2.0 Compacts. Kept the 19's and the holsters, mags, etc. I can still use the mags in my AR9 and I can pick up one of my Glock 19's and carry it same as I might my M&P 2.0's.

When I swapped from 40 several years back, I sold off the Glock 23's and mags, but kept the holsters as they fit the Glock 19's I picked up.

Basically, if the gun is an outlier in what I carry and I have replaced it for sure and won't go back, it will get sold off, to fund backup guns on the destination platform (Glock 43's got sold to move to the P365). If I'm not sure I am definitely replacing something or still have use for it, I'll keep it (heavily invested in Glock 19 platform and kept them, even as I picked up some M&P Compact 2.0's).

If you are not a collector or accumulator, look at if the gun still matches your platform or at least standard operation you might keep it otherwise sell it depending on how it fits in your system.

Well said and makes complete sense. I’ve been reading through a lot of posts and keep seeing the p365. I believe it was being compared to a hellcat, which is one I’ve been eyeballing. Do you choose it over the p238 or p938? I have no experience with them. Are they even in the same size range?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have no problem selling guns that I am done with, even if I "lose money" on the transaction. (I say it that way because the money is already gone whether you keep the gun or sell it, so you don't lose any money when selling.)

A few years ago I picked up a Walther PPS M2 that I planned to make my primary carry piece. I bought a few different holsters, more magazines, a mag carrier, etc. Then when I started practicing with it, it turned out that I didn't shoot it very well. After 600 rounds, I was still shooting better with a little Keltec .380.

The PPS never did make it into regular carry for me, and so I put it up in the classifieds, and and it sold the same day. I put that money into magazines, holsters, and a mag carrier for something I can shoot.

You all can keep guns that you have no use for, I guess, but I try not to do that with anything (vehicles, clothing, camping gear, etc.), so I don't do it with guns either.

Top Bottom