• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I was just watching a rerun of Gunsmoke titled “Return to a Dodge.” In opening the opening scene a desperado tried to shoot Matt Dillon (No surprise there !). The bad guy had a unique revolver. He pulled the barrel forward which then allowed the cylinder to move forward and the cartridges were then loaded from the back. I’ve never seen a handgun that functions this way. Any idea as to the manufacturer ?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was just watching a rerun of Gunsmoke titled “Return to a Dodge.” In opening the opening scene a desperado tried to shoot Matt Dillon (No surprise there !). The bad guy had a unique revolver. He pulled the barrel forward which then allowed the cylinder to move forward and the cartridges were then loaded from the back. I’ve never seen a handgun that functions this way. Any idea as to the manufacturer ?

Kind of sounds like a Schofield revolver.

What were the changes Major Schofield made to the model 3? After those changed they started producing some with his name. However, I'm not sure what the changes were.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Could be a Merwin & Hulbert? I think the Schofield is just a top break.

[video=youtube;0O4msUTg16k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O4msUTg16k[/video]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Kind of sounds like a Schofield revolver.

What were the changes Major Schofield made to the model 3? After those changed they started producing some with his name. However, I'm not sure what the changes were.

The original Model 3 opening latch was in the rear sight and was a two-handed operation which was inconvenient for cavalry use. The Schofield went to a thumb latch. The drill was to open it one-handed, dump the empties, stick it in your belt and reload it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The original Model 3 opening latch was in the rear sight and was a two-handed operation which was inconvenient for cavalry use. The Schofield went to a thumb latch. The drill was to open it one-handed, dump the empties, stick it in your belt and reload it.

Thank you for this informative post.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like this? The Merwin loaded from a gate on the side similar to the Colt SAA, but ejected by the barrel being moved forward after twisting it to unlock. This is a small Merwin in the picture, the 44-40s were larger, with a longer grip.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Definitely a Merwin & Hulbert

gunsmoke.jpg

[video=youtube;vp3DgY-bfSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp3DgY-bfSY[/video]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    There are no reproductions of these for Cowboy Action shooters because their machining is so elaborate that no company can produce them at a reasonable price.

As a historical aside, they were once the official sidearm of the Cincinnati Police (the agency from which I am retired).

Top Bottom