• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Back in the day when I did an article for the SWCA about my signature package mods to my revolvers the first two responses I got was, "why would you alter a pure collector specimen" and why didn't I go with Stainless Models". I have that issue somewhere downstairs and someday (maybe sooner) I may go through all my boxes of old papers, match reports, gun catalogs, etc. Anyway, a quick process of my signature package, which was all done by one craftsman that is now retired from S&W after 42 years of service is as follows. For this example we will use a Model 29-6 in 6 Inch Barrel. While I did earlier versions it was not before the I discovered the engineering changes that the -6 was superior. The dash 6 included a steel locking block for the bolt, longer cyl notches, and other enhancements to make the action stronger as many of us Magnum shooters had problems with the earlier versions. Reverse actions, unlocking, and seizing up were common on the line when fed a steady diet of full cases of 2400. Yes, many of us modified our older models to keep them running but the -6 was a godsend for this model. It has always been my belief that the Model 29 was 7% under engineered for Magnums, just as the KFrames were. I should point out that I never ever had these problems with my Model 57's. The True Magnum Revolver. I started out by purchasing 3 of the same model, cleaning them up and test shooting and measuring all critical dimensions. I would send the best one in to my man Vito and he knew what to do. First, a precise fitting of the Target Hammer and Trigger with the fattest stock to fit. Back in the day, measurements were all over the board as most parts were formed, ground and finished by humans. I have had some hammers and triggers so skinny they moved around on the boss or froze up when the sideplate screws were tightened. Anyway, after a perfect action refinement, I then had the front of the cylinder flutes beveled like the post war days. This looks good and makes reholstering easier. Chambers were spec'd and cyl replaced if not consistent. I also had the right side of the ejector rod housing finished like what many floor supervisors would do up into the late 70"s until the bean counters started reducing labor costs in Springfield. Moving along, I then had the barrel tweaked to perfect alignment so that the POI was right down the middle and elevation was right down on the frame. Nothing I hate more than an improperly registered gun that you must crank the sights all the way up or half off of the frame to get the standard load to hit POI. After the fitting and machining and test target then I had the gun hand polished and deeply reblued for a finished perfect piece that I know shoots. I see so many gun owners that pay a lot for a collectors piece and they will never know if or how it will shoot. I should point out that during this time for a little while the factory had special runs called the DX series which included many of these mods. So when I am asked why carbon over stainless, it is quite simple. Carbon Steel has better qualities for me. Yes I have stainless guns but with my eyes closed I can drop the hammer on an empty carbon 29 and a 629 and hear and feel the difference in materials. Most of my carbon guns out perform my stainless in accuracy but that could be just perception. I know that for my Contender barrels shooting 200 yards, the carbon barrels are more accurate as well. Again, there may be nothing to this but I prefer Carbon Steel. All my hunting knives are carbon steel as well. So INGO revolver peeps, what mods have you done to any of your wheelguns?

DSC_0222.JPG

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    So INGO revolver peeps, what mods have you done to any of your wheelguns?

In regards to all of the Smith & Wesson revolvers I own/or have owned they are the one class of firearm that I have never really felt the desire to modify. The trigger , especially in SA mode , is much better than most any other kind of handgun I have owned. And out of the box accuracy is as good as many bullseye guns that are tuned for accuracy. About the only "mod" I have on any of Smiths is a grip change and I had AllenM drill and tap a revolver last year.

Most of my carbon guns out perform my stainless in accuracy but that could be just perception.

I have owned a 29 Classic and still own a 629 Classic and even firing from a rest with a scope both produced similar results , if anything the stainless 629 was a little better throughout entire range of bullet weights. I think a high master bullseye shooter would be hard pressed to distinguish the accuracy difference between two Smiths , say a 686 and 586 where one was stainless and the other blued. I also have a 686 and 586 , both -4 series it would take a Ransom Rest or shooting with a scope from a rest for me to determine which is actually the most accurate and then it would probably be splitting hairs. I would think the stainless Smith revolvers have the cylinders/barrels manufactured to the same tolerances of the carbon steel.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    23ijl8o_zpsmul86qif.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

I picked up this lovely 629 DX from Osobuco a while back. Seems I've damaged the scope with concussion. I'll have to get with Leupold and get her sent in. No mods necessary on my part.
    On the Rugers, though, Wolff has made some money on me.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have a Ruger GP 100 3” adjustable sight .357. I have cleaned up the action, still run stock springs. This afternoon I added shim to further reduce drag. Now working on my wife’s sp101 .22lr. I have worked over many S&W revolvers over the years the GP100 is my working gun, 180jhp and Hardcast are its typical menu.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a couple Ruger Single Six's I inherited from my stepdad. I did a full spring kit and light stoning of engagement surfaces.

marksman1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    Columbus
    What HAVE I done? Nothing.

What do I WANT to do? Lots.

As a congratulatory gift when I was selected for Company Command, my father bought me a new production S&W 586 in blue. The first revolver I ever shot was his nickeled 586 (I can't remember what dash it is). Even after a few cases of .38SPL and .357 to learn how to really shoot the thing in double action mode, the DA trigger has not smoothed out as much as my Dad's. At a minimum I want to get the trigger smoothed out, the lock disabled, and get some nice finger-grooved rosewood stocks on it. The Hogue rubbers are cushy but still just look wrong to me somehow.

I know of places to send my semi-autos when I decide to have them dressed up, but I've never done my homework on revolver 'smiths. If you don't mind the thread drift, does anybody have recommendations?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    What HAVE I done? Nothing.

What do I WANT to do? Lots.

As a congratulatory gift when I was selected for Company Command, my father bought me a new production S&W 586 in blue. The first revolver I ever shot was his nickeled 586 (I can't remember what dash it is). Even after a few cases of .38SPL and .357 to learn how to really shoot the thing in double action mode, the DA trigger has not smoothed out as much as my Dad's. At a minimum I want to get the trigger smoothed out, the lock disabled, and get some nice finger-grooved rosewood stocks on it. The Hogue rubbers are cushy but still just look wrong to me somehow.

I know of places to send my semi-autos when I decide to have them dressed up, but I've never done my homework on revolver 'smiths. If you don't mind the thread drift, does anybody have recommendations?

For what you want done to your 586, I highly recommend BossHoss here on the forum. He has been inside more Smith & Wesson revolvers than most shops have sold. He is a avid revolver shooter and competes with them too.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    My S&W revolvers had all their actions cleaned and tuned by Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch. Denny passed away about a year or so ago and we miss him. He was a great S&W smithy. RIP Denny

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My model 60 has a bobbed hammer. Most of them have lighter main springs, I've stoned the inner sides of the frame and side plate. I should have slightly "broken" the edge of the charge holes to make loading, especially with speed loaders easier. I've had the orange insert in a couple, replaced with a black one. I've replaced the hand in a couple and had a few re-timed. I've changed out triggers and hammers. I've had the ridges on triggers ground smooth for better double-action shooting. I've glued a pencil eraser trigger stop on a model 25. I had a model 28 brush hard chromed. I put an 11 degree taper on the forcing cone of a few. One can take mods too far, very easily, so I wouldn't undertake any of these mods unless I had the right tools, especially screw drivers, and had the patience of Job. All of my revolvers have been 100% reliable and accurate.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ll second the recommendation for BossHoss. Great guy and he really knows his way around a S&W. I have two that were tuned by him and have a Model 60 that I need to get to him one of these days.

Top Bottom