Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whip_McCord View Post
    It came to my attention that my pics did not display. I will try them as attachments now to see if that works. Sorry for the inconvenience.

bcannon msgd me a few days ago and said I could enter a target with my Black Mamba to give gmcttr a run for his money. I shot some groups today at a private range. The indoor range is 50 feet without any way to move the target or bench. So I figure that could be a self-imposed handicap for using a non-standard Mk IV. I did put a scope on the gun though and used a rest.

We needed to have more than one group posted, so here it is. A little further target, but not quite as good a group as gmcttr. It was nice to get out of the house and shoot a little bit.

Black Mamba
    6-18X40 scope
    50 feet
    CCI SV 40 grain bullet
    Group was .510" measured OTO
    Great shooting! Iíd be interested to know a little more about your scope. Iíve never considered a scope for a pistol, but this has me kinda thinking about it now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottka View Post
    Great shooting! Iíd be interested to know a little more about your scope. Iíve never considered a scope for a pistol, but this has me kinda thinking about it now.
    It is a BSA Sweet 22 6-18X. It was on my 10/22, but when I started using that rifle for more precision shooting, I put a 6-26X scope on it. We were shooting toothpicks at 50' so I needed all the help I could get. My buddies are very competitive. Both of those scopes have adjustable objectives that focus closer than 50' which helps a lot.

I put the Sweet 22 on the Black Mamba for fun and to test the accuracy. I was going to see how it groups at 50 yards too, but it was very windy the day I was at my range. We are mostly a bullseye club and the outdoor range has targets at 25 and 50 yards. Camp Perry is cancelled this year, so I was trying some different type of shooting. The Mamba normally has a red dot sight on it for action shooting. Many of my T/C Contenders (10" & 14" barrels) have rifle scopes on them. Unless the pistol kicks a lot, a rifle scope is a good option.

User Info Menu

Looks like we've got a competition nice shootn scottka 👍.

User Info Menu

Nice shooting scottka. Seems like shooting long-range rifle, you should be fine shooting that scope on a pistol. Curious what the issue was seeing the crosshairs. I just realized, it probably does not focus at close distances like 25'. An airgun scope might be able to do that. They usually focus as close as 10 yards, some a little closer.
    Last edited by Whip_McCord; 04-28-2020 at 11:47.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whip_McCord View Post
    Nice shooting scottka. Seems like shooting long-range rifle, you should be fine shooting that scope on a pistol. Curious what the issue was seeing the crosshairs. I just realized, it probably does not focus at close distances like 25'. An airgun scope might be able to do that. They usually focus as close as 10 yards, some a little closer.
    Yep. 100% this. Adjustable objective only went down to 40 yards and itís a FFP scope so the crosshairs were super tiny/wispy and I couldnít maintain focus on the crosshairs. Thatís why I went to the little marker dots. Helped me see the crosshairs initially, until I bailed on the scope all together. I shoulda bailed earlier, but I was trying to stick it out. Groups got considerably better the second I took it off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottka View Post
    Yep. 100% this. Adjustable objective only went down to 40 yards and itís a FFP scope so the crosshairs were super tiny/wispy and I couldnít maintain focus on the crosshairs. Thatís why I went to the little marker dots. Helped me see the crosshairs initially, until I bailed on the scope all together. I shoulda bailed earlier, but I was trying to stick it out. Groups got considerably better the second I took it off.
    Or, just move the target further away.

Master

User Info Menu

Put a scope on the pistol and gave it another try and after several attempts had nine shots in ~0.28" OTO and of course the tenth opened it up to ~0.35".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Ruger MKIV model #40163

SK Pistol Match Spezial, 40gr

25' measured from target to muzzle from a rest. 10 shots.

The measurement with the calipers is a very rough measurement of the out to out size of the group. The OTO is probably a bit larger and of course the CTC would be smaller.

niiiice Reed.!!

really great shooting.!
    hANNAbONE -- Uncle Gary, Deacon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Put a scope on the pistol and gave it another try and after several attempts had nine shots in ~0.28" OTO and of course the tenth opened it up to ~0.35".
    haha. I felt like I was about the same a few times. Maybe not quite 0.28Ē, but felt good until that last shot just barely takes a little more paper. Thatís still plenty impressive. Weíll have to do 9 shot groups next time.

User Info Menu

I shot some more groups today at my range. The indoor range is 50 feet without any way to move the target or bench. I bested my previous group, so I thought I would post that group. I shot 5 groups and the first one was the best.

Black Mamba
    6-18X40 scope
    50 feet
    CCI SV 40 grain bullet
    Group was .410" measured OTO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast