• ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    DAaVufzh.jpg

So I have wanted a 2011 for the last few years, I partly blame John Wick 3 for kicking this want into overdrive. This last year STI also fixed their magazine issues (both reliability and price this time last year a 2011 magazine from STI was $100~ a mag , now it's still kind of steep at $50~ a mag but much more doable. The Staccato P Duo comes with three magazines, a 17 flush fit magazine and two 20 round extended magazines (both 20 round mags have followers that prevent over-insertion of the magazine into the pistol). It also comes with three extra recoil springs (light, medium and heavy) a medium strength recoil spring is already installed and that is what I have been running so far with factory ammunition.

zDbrFn2h.jpg

kXojN4Wh.jpg

The STI website is painfully lacksing on information about just what exactly the magic $500 DUO cut is. The DUO (Dawson Universal Optic) System is designed to primarily work with the Leupold Delta Point Pro (DPP) , it also features an adaptor plate for a Trijicon RMR/SRO and Holosun 507 models. The Leupold does not need an adaptor plate, really allowing the already tall DPP to be buried into the slide.

The DUO system also comes with Dawsons rear sight designed specifically for the DPP giving it a lower 1/3 co-witness. The Staccato also features the awesome Dawson Precision Tool-Less takedown recoil spring system making the need to keep a weird bent paperclip around obsolete.

ujhPXZUh.jpg

I would like to note that the included Dawson Precision Rear sight was dead on POI once everything was installed.

PgcPnPwh.jpg

Notice the HUGE bull barrel , after installing the DPP I ran 350 rounds of ammunition through the gun with no issues at all. Aside from mounting the DPP the only thing done to the pistol was add some lube. 300 rounds were Fiocchi 124gr 9mm and the other 50 were Federal 147gr HST (my prefered carry round, oddly has same POI as my stocked Fiocchi Ball ammo).

It was somewhat amusing when I did my part after the dot was zeroed the pistol has no problems holding a fist sized group at 25 yards. Inside of 15 yards this gun is FAST with follow up shots being a breeze and the generous window of the DPP makes tracking the dot vert easy.

I shot my Sig P-320 X-Carry after shooting the Staccato and the increase in recoil between the two platforms was noticeable to say the least. The 2011 is a very flat shooting pistol.

The trigger pull is typical high end 1911, pure unadulterated awesomeness breaking at 4.5 pounds exactly.
    a4SH4Xrh.jpg

GV5qEsmh.jpg

I was impressed by the quality of the machining on the internals as well, not a tool mark to be found on the pistol.

yvzAMMNh.jpg

I can see why the US Marshal Service SOG Team chose this pistol for their team, its an awesome shooter and the build quality is top notch. I will be adding pictures and expanding on the review more later, hopefully eventually turn it into a Youtube Video as there are not many out yet on the "New" 2020 model that I purchased. I forgot to get range photos when i took it shooting, but the proof target from STI was one hole so the pistol is definitely more accurate than I am. This was definitely a "grail gun" for me, for anyone interested the gun was purchased at the Indiana Gun Club

PTqLPoCh.jpg

For reference the STI weighs 34 ounces with the DPP installed , which is not bad considering it is a steel framed 17+1 2011. For reference my old Dan Wesson VBOB a steel framed commander 1911 weighed 37 ounces.

[video=youtube;UtxBMViedDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxBMViedDY[/video]

Primary and Secondary Modcast with Buck from STI detailing how the company is moving away from competition based handguns and more towards duty / carry guns

[video=youtube;Z1-20a6vROo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-20a6vROo&t=1275s[/video]

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the post, awesome looking gun, my friend has the non-duo version. I've been watching this gun for awhile but STI's have always been hit or miss on reliability, sounds like yours is working pretty well right out of the gate. They've moved away from competition guns now to more defensive guns so we'll see what happens. Nice score!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks for the post, awesome looking gun, my friend has the non-duo version. I've been watching this gun for awhile but STI's have always been hit or miss on reliability, sounds like yours is working pretty well right out of the gate. They've moved away from competition guns now to more defensive guns so we'll see what happens. Nice score!

I know it's long but I highly recommend listening to the podcast. It mirrors what I was told at NRA last year , STI is under new management (almost all ex military) , new much better gunsmiths. Probably one of my favorite parts is when the STI guy (Buck is his name insert Kill Bill reference at your leisure) was talking about how bad the "gen one " magazines (the ones that were $100+ a pop and still needed to be "tuned" to work right. Basically STI has switched over from competition guns (they don't even make the DVC line anymore or at least it's not on the website) to chasing police and military sales. The US Marshalls SOG Team and the Long Beach SWAT teams both basically ran the guns to death.

A guy on Instagram I follow has 10,000+ rounds of steel cased woulf ammo through his DUO without any issues (yes I know putting steel cased ammo in a gun like that should be a crime)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-xXoCgDYDn/?igshid=1nd9d92ku6ov8

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    6ZgKNvkh.jpg

Test target from STI proving the gun can shoot better than I can

TgWfBRwh.jpg

Also just broke 1,000 down the pipe. Not a single issue with the pistol. I burned up a lot more ammo today than originally expected!

wCm1NPbh.jpg

Also ran a couple boxes of the new Federal Punch loads through the gun. They feed exactly like their 124gr HST counterparts at $12 a box less. Even have sealed primers , this might be my carry load now with gun shows being closed and cheap HST hard to find.

Note the new style basepads, if you have the new 2020 frame you want these specific magazines and baseplates apparently. Prevents over-insertion issues apparently. They are pretty nice and aluminum too.

P1gMfjfh.jpg

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Great review Dean that pistol seems great are you going to try any competition’s this year with it? And thanks about the new ammo looks interesting.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Great review Dean that pistol seems great are you going to try any competition’s this year with it? And thanks about the new ammo looks interesting.

If I shoot it competitively it would be at something like Friday night steel or the occasional match at Tim's. I don't think I will shoot USPSA with it because it's technically an open gun. No single actions allowed in Carry Optics (I hope they change that rule).

I have a TT gunleather holster ordered for it, going to make the STI my carry pistol. Order should come in about 4 weeks if I am lucky

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Any updates with reliability or anything? I saw one locally yesterday and almost got it, but I'm seeing posts on other forums with other people having quite a few issues with the 2020 model. Mostly with the new grip design and/or the mags. Most of them were from earlier in the year and STI responded that they were working on correcting the issues for newly produced guns, but I haven't see many recent comments.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Any updates with reliability or anything? I saw one locally yesterday and almost got it, but I'm seeing posts on other forums with other people having quite a few issues with the 2020 model. Mostly with the new grip design and/or the mags. Most of them were from earlier in the year and STI responded that they were working on correcting the issues for newly produced guns, but I haven't see many recent comments.

Last paragraph of my long post is still very relevant, 1,800 rounds trouble free. Cleaning the mags every 500 rounds (which is excessive on my part but oh well)

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Awesome, thanks. Just wanted to double check before I spent that kind of money on something that might have issues right out of the box.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Beautiful gun! I have an STI Tactical DA 4.0 9mm blackout. It doesn't have the optic cut out but I never got used to the RMR on handguns. It has been exactly as you described your Staccato P. It has been 100% reliable and that trigger!

SpaceCowboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    Absolutely beautiful gun, congratulations sir! I've wanted a 2011 for years but could never justify the price of mags, let alone the gun. I've been following things at STI pretty closely and by all accounts it sounds like its ran by a really stellar group of guys now.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Looks great man! I've been keen at keeping an eye on the Staccato C DUO and Staccato C2 DUO, love the double capacity on the C2 but do not love the extra $800 price tag. Might be a good wedding gift to myself? :laugh::laugh:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Absolutely beautiful gun, congratulations sir! I've wanted a 2011 for years but could never justify the price of mags, let alone the gun. I've been following things at STI pretty closely and by all accounts it sounds like its ran by a really stellar group of guys now.

I don't even want to talk about magazine prices , they just raised them from $50~ to $70~. That being said once my next order of 140mm mags comes in I will have 7 mags total so should be good for a while.

Looks great man! I've been keen at keeping an eye on the Staccato C DUO and Staccato C2 DUO, love the double capacity on the C2 but do not love the extra $800 price tag. Might be a good wedding gift to myself? :laugh::laugh:

The double stack is worth it IMHO, otherwise a Dan Wesson ECO will do the same thing for cheaper.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I don't even want to talk about magazine prices , they just raised them from $50~ to $70~. That being said once my next order of 140mm mags comes in I will have 7 mags total so should be good for a while.

The double stack is worth it IMHO, otherwise a Dan Wesson ECO will do the same thing for cheaper.

That is called an addiction!!!!!

Top Bottom